Anyone interested in the "Moutain Man" period of history?

3,782 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LegettHall
LegettHall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jim Bridger
Jed Smith
"Old Bill" Williams
The Sublette brothers
Carson
Etc.?

Or is it on me.

Rabid Cougar
AG
LegettHall said:

Jim Bridger
Jed Smith
"Old Bill" Williams
The Sublette brothers
Carson
Etc.?

Or is it on me.

William Henry Ashley
Hugh Glass.
John Potts
George Drouillard
Jim Baker
Charles and William Bent

Just to name a few more......
Belton Ag
AG
LegettHall said:

Jim Bridger
Jed Smith
"Old Bill" Williams
The Sublette brothers
Carson
Etc.?

Or is it on me.

Love that period of history. Read Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides for a great sketch of the life of Kit Carson.

Blood and Thunder

Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

LegettHall said:

Jim Bridger
Jed Smith
"Old Bill" Williams
The Sublette brothers
Carson
Etc.?

Or is it on me.

William Henry Ashley
Hugh Glass.
John Potts
George Drouillard
Jim Baker
Charles and William Bent

Add another one, John Colter.

Potts, Drouillard and Colter were all members of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Colter and Potts were the first true Mountain Men.
libertyag
AG
Interesting time period for me and have read some about it. While I was never a "mountain man" I did trap extensively years and years ago when there was pretty decent money to be made at it.
VanZandt92
I'm interested in the exploration of Yellowstone and the Lewis and Clark expedition.
LegettHall
Rabid Cougar said:

LegettHall said:

Jim Bridger
Jed Smith
"Old Bill" Williams
The Sublette brothers
Carson
Etc.?

Or is it on me.

William Henry Ashley
Hugh Glass.
John Potts
George Drouillard
Jim Baker
Charles and William Bent

I wasn't trying to name them all. Couldn't if I wanted to.

Jed Smith, killed so young while searching for water in present-day southwest Kansas by Comanche Indians, looking for water, headed for Santa Fe. Pioneer, but he had several men who followed him killed. Jedediah Smith and the Opening of the West is terrific.

Jim Bridger "married" 3 Indians, a Flathead and 2 Shoshone women, more Indian than white man. One of the first Americans to find Salt Lake--he thought it was the ocean. One of the first to pass through Yellowstone. Jim Bridger's West is terrific.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Williams-Mountain-Civilization-American-Indian/dp/0806116986/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1489537268&sr=1-1&keywords=old+bill+williams][/url]Old Bill Williams, Mountain Man is good. He never got the recognition he deserved.

Carson is fascinating. A lot of them were, at least to me.

That period didn't last long, like all other historical periods.

It is probably my favorite part of American history.

Rabid Cougar
AG
VanZandt92 said:

I'm interested in the exploration of Yellowstone and the Lewis and Clark expedition.
Clark was not that far from it coming back east in 1806. He ran across the Yellowstone directly north of the park in Montana. They named the Gallatin and Madison rivers as they passed them. Both originate in the park.

John Colter, a member of the Corps, followed the Yellowstone back to its source when he returned to the area the very next year.
Bighunter43
AG
One of my favorite time periods!! Don't forget James Beckwourth!
TRD-Ferguson
AG
No love for a Jeremiah Johnson???
Chickenhawk
WOLVERINES!
Rabid Cougar
AG
Pacing The Cage said:

How can one forget Robert Redford?
Rabid Cougar
AG
Everyone does know that the in the Decaprio movie "The Revenant" that Glass sought revenge because John Fitzgerald and Jim Bridger killed his kid.

In real life he sought revenge because stole took his rifle.
AEK
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Everyone does know that the in the Decaprio movie "The Revenant" that Glass sought revenge because John Fitzgerald and Jim Bridger killed his kid.

And because they left him for dead as I recall. Wasn't the bear attack actually factual in nature?
Belton Ag
AG
AEK said:

Rabid Cougar said:

And because they left him for dead as I recall. Wasn't the bear attack actually factual in nature?
The bear attack was factual, and the real story of Glass' journey itself and how he treated his wounds was perhaps more compelling than the movie.

Belton Ag
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Pacing The Cage said:

'Member when Robert Redford made really cool movies?
Rabid Cougar
AG
AEK said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Nope, Because they took his rifle. He tracked both of them down. He caught Bridger first but let him live because he was young. He then tracked down Fitzgerald who had subsequently joined the Army. He would have killed him but Fitzgerald's officer told Glass that he would kill him if he killed Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald gave him back his Hawkin rifle and paid him $300. . Glass told him he better not ever quit the Army.....

Bear attack was real. As mentioned above, just his surviving his trek back to the Fort is worthy of a movie unto itself.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Belton Ag said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Pacing The Cage said:

'Member when Robert Redford made really cool movies?
Richard Harris made some good ones too. "Man in the Wilderness"(also based on High Glass) and "Man Called Horse".
Belton Ag
AG
Yep, and since we're talking movies and such, if anyone wants to read some fictional history featuring some famous mountain men, I'd recommend reading McMurtry's Berrybender series. Although it's been a while, I've read all four books and they are excellent.
Bighunter43
AG
Speaking of fur trade movies....Don't forget The Mountain Men with Charlton Hesston and Brian Keith....they had a simulation of Colter's Run in it...and the Rendezvous scenes are good! Wild times for sure!
Rabid Cougar
AG
Bighunter43 said:

Speaking of fur trade movies....Don't forget The Mountain Men with Charlton Hesston and Brian Keith....they had a simulation of Colter's Run in it...and the Rendezvous scenes are good! Wild times for sure!
Oh hell! I forgot about that movie! It is a classic!
LegettHall
Rabid Cougar said:

AEK said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Nope, Because they took his rifle. He tracked both of them down. He caught Bridger first but let him live because he was young. He then tracked down Fitzgerald who had subsequently joined the Army. He would have killed him but Fitzgerald's officer told Glass that he would kill him if he killed Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald gave him back his Hawkin rifle and paid him $300. . Glass told him he better not ever quit the Army.....

Bear attack was real. As mentioned above, just his surviving his trek back to the Fort is worthy of a movie unto itself.
The bear attack was real. But almost nothing is known about it. Man in the Wilderness has Ashely telling the 2 volunteers, if he isn't dead by morning, "Kill him." Really? Yet at the beginning of the movie, it says, This is a true story.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/19/opinion/la-oe-coleman-frontier-myths-hugh-glass-20120819

In the summer of 1823, according to newspaper accounts, a female grizzly bear sprang from the bushes along a tributary of the Yellowstone River and tore into a trapper and fur trader named Hugh Glass. She slashed his face, munched his scalp and removed a fist-sized hunk from his posterior. Members of Glass' expedition ran to his aid and killed the animal, but his prognosis looked grim. Two men were posted to stay behind and bury him when he succumbed to the inevitable. T he duo abandoned him, still comatose and gurgling. They took his gun, knife and ammunition.

But Glass didn't die. When he came to his senses and realized he was alone, he began to crawl and then limp the 150 miles to the nearest trading post to get his revenge on the men who left him.

That, in essence, was the story printed first in a Philadelphia journal in 1825 and then picked up by newspapers across the country. In the century and a half since he was first written about, Glass has appeared in memoirs, poems, novels and even in a 1975 major motion picture, "Man in the Wilderness."

But the story, like Glass, is full of holes. I have now read every scrap of evidence surrounding Hugh Glass and his ordeal and have come to the conclusion that he existed mostly as a figment of American imaginations. There is almost no historical record of his Lazarus-like reappearance after a grizzly attack. Only one of his letters has survived, and it makes no mention of the story. None who witnessed his mauling wrote about the incident.

Instead, the tale that persisted through generations was drawn entirely from second-, third- and fourth-hand reports. Compared to the leading figures of the Western fur trade mountain men like Jedediah Smith and Jim Bridger Glass barely registered. He left so little evidence that separating fact and fiction is virtually impossible.
LegettHall
Glass's amazing adventures continued after his heralded return from the Grand River. He was wounded in a fight with Utes, receiving an arrow in his spine. Glass somehow managed to travel roughly 700 miles with this painful injury before another mountaineer removed the projectile from his backbone.

http://www.truewestmagazine.com/a-difficult-man-to-kill/

700 miles? Please.

Glass must have been Superman.
LegettHall
VanZandt92 said:

Ambrose's Undaunted Courage is good.

I have The Journals of Lewis and Clark (Lewis & Clark Expedition). Very enjoyable. Not all of them, but still, enjoyable.

Wikipedia has a decent timeline of the expedition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Lewis_and_Clark_Expedition

Rabid Cougar
AG
LegettHall said:

Quote:

I have The Journals of Lewis and Clark (Lewis & Clark Expedition). Very enjoyable. Not all of them, but still, enjoyable.

Even Ambrose took literary license in his work.

The best books on L&C are by James P. Rhonda: "L&C Amongst the Indians", "Finding The West", "Jefferson's West" , "Beyond Lewis and Clark".
LegettHall
He did with all of the books I have read, but I still learned.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Like-World-Transcontinental-1863-1869/dp/0743203178/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1492034949&sr=1-1&keywords=nothing+like+it+in+the+world+by+stephen+ambrose][/url]Nothing Like It In the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-1869 was a very enjoyable book to read, and I learned.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Like-World-Transcontinental-1863-1869/dp/0743203178/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1492034949&sr=1-1&keywords=nothing+like+it+in+the+world+by+stephen+ambrose][/url]
LegettHall
Rabid Cougar said:

LegettHall said:

Quote:

Even Ambrose took literary license in his work.

The best books on L&C are by James P. Rhonda: "L&C Amongst the Indians", "Finding The West", "Jefferson's West" , "Beyond Lewis and Clark".
There are some good books about the trappers.

Jedediah Smith and the Opening of the West by Dale L. Morgan--I really enjoyed this one

Jim Bridger: Mountain Man by Stanley Vestal

Blood and Thunder: The Epic Story of Kit Carson and the Conquest of the American West by Hampton Sides

Crow Killer, New Edition: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson by Thorp and Bunker

They can be had for a song used on Amazon.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.