aggie1944 update -- from KeithDB

2,932 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Cardiac Saturday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
From KeithDB:
Many of you may remember "aggie1944." He regularly posted on the Politics Board for quite some time. He is a true American, and Aggie, hero having stormed the beaches on D-Day. We have been advised by his family that he has suffered a stroke, is very ill, and is now in a hospice situation. As you celebrate the Holidays with your families please remember in your prayers him and his family. He is America's greatest generation and we all owe so much to him and the many others like him.

His family has asked that we keep you advised of his progress, and we promise to do so
. Please keep him, and his family, in your prayers.

Gig 'em!
I Like Mike
p_bubel
HustlerAggie
Whistle Jock
AG
Praying for Aggie 1944, Bless him and his family.
"They exchanged their lives in a hope for this future we now inhabit. Though the fight took place many years ago and even today, each of us remains as a living part of it."

SRBS
schmellba99
AG
Prayers for '44, I always enjoyed his posts. One of the good ones, for sure.
theeyetest
T&P
Olsen
AG
T&Ps
The Original AG 76
AG
With Christmas coming around the corner and so many family get togethers happening I STRONGLY encourage everyone who is lucky enough to have a WW2 era kin folk to PLEASE seek them out and just visit. There are so few left and they ALL have such a story to tell!
The best Christmas present you can get this year is a few hours with someone from aggie44's generation.
I Like Mike
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

With Christmas coming around the corner and so many family get togethers happening I STRONGLY encourage everyone who is lucky enough to have a WW2 era kin folk to PLEASE seek them out and just visit. There are so few left and they ALL have such a story to tell!
The best Christmas present you can get this year is a few hours with someone from aggie44's generation.
Aggies Revenge
lumpy78
AG
Thoughts and Prayers.
Rex Racer
AG
Prayers for '44. My grandaddy landed at Omaha Beach 3 days after D-Day. I wonder if they ever came across one another?
Aggies Revenge
AG
I am sad to report that Aggie1944 has passed. He wrote a letter to be posted upon his death. It is on OR https://texags.com/forums/6/topics/2820617
Liquid Wrench
Never got the chance to. Too young, and one of my mom's uncles died on D-Day.

I wholey agree on taking the time to talk to the veterans you can. I posted a snippet of a conversation with a neighbor on another thread.

When I'm at my computer I'll post my favorite 44 quote.

*Here's the memorable quote:

"We didn't go to war just because we wanted to, although that did weight heavily, but there was also something that told us we simply had to. The only way I've ever tried to convey the feeling was to compare it to a house fire. If you were to awake to or arrive home to your house on fire, would you fight it with everything you possibly could, or rather step aside to let it burn to the ground and spread to your remaining neighborhood? That war was one big fire that just had to be dealt with before it spread to the rest of the world."
fossil_ag
AG
As I posted on the other board in referring to this gentleman ..... His handle on Texags was OKAG44. not Old Ag 44. This info might help out if you are trying to get more info on his wartime experiences. He was a good and honorable man. He had my respect. Fairwell sir. Until we meet again.
Post removed:
by user
Liquid Wrench
I remember OKAg, but "aggie1944" was the dude who was famous for posting pictures from his time at A&M and in WWII on this thread:

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/1568351

He also had fun mixing it up on Old Rivalries.
fossil_ag
AG
Thanks for tte correction,Chili. I have spent a lot of time in hospitals and rehabs in the past 7 years and I was mistaken on which Old Ag we were talking about........We all look alike....
Liquid Wrench
Here's his obituary:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dfw/obituary.aspx?n=walter-john-gates&pid=183118851&
powerbiscuit
These are photos that the family asked to be shared with Texags. Gig 'em.

aalan94
AG
Here.
GasAg90
RIP Job well done. Another American hero has fallen.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.