Reconstruction dilemma....

5 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by VanZandt92
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
VanZandt92 said:

Dr. Watson said:

I believe you can't separate the Slave Patrols from the militia in the South. And Virginia in general, and Patrick Henry in particular, were terrified of outside interference in slavery. I strongly recommend Woody Holton's book, "Forced Founders," to see the impact of Dunmore's Proclamation on Henry and the Virginian gentry going into the Revolution. They wanted assurances that any national government would leave policing of slavery to the states.

Interesting.

Watson, I'm on faculty at an ACC school, but my interest in history is a hobby. How about you?

I do early American history for a living. My focus is 17th century New England, but I have done a lot of work on the relationship between Barbadian slavery and the lower South.
Aggies Revenge
AG
Dr. Watson said:

VanZandt92 said:

Dr. Watson said:

I believe you can't separate the Slave Patrols from the militia in the South. And Virginia in general, and Patrick Henry in particular, were terrified of outside interference in slavery. I strongly recommend Woody Holton's book, "Forced Founders," to see the impact of Dunmore's Proclamation on Henry and the Virginian gentry going into the Revolution. They wanted assurances that any national government would leave policing of slavery to the states.

Interesting.

Watson, I'm on faculty at an ACC school, but my interest in history is a hobby. How about you?

I do early American history for a living. My focus is 17th century New England, but I have done a lot of work on the relationship between Barbadian slavery and the lower South.
So, you are going to help me prep for prelims, right???
ja86
AG
Dr. Watson said:

ja86 said:

Can you produce references for the 2nd admendment and slave patrols?

This article is one of the early arguments on that issue: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1465114

Actually, turns out you can download the paper from that link.
Thank you for the link.
BQ78
AG
Quote:

Barbadian slavery
Ah ha, now I understand your perspective!
Sapper Redux
Aggies Revenge said:

Dr. Watson said:

VanZandt92 said:

Dr. Watson said:

Interesting.

So, you are going to help me prep for prelims, right???

If you need any help just let me know.
Aggies Revenge
AG
Right now it is just a matter of cramming Spanish so I can pass the language quals- then on to the hard stuff.
bqce
AG
Posts like this and the ones on Nerdery are why I love "TexAgs - we know stuff!"
The Original AG 76
AG
Dr. Watson said:

VanZandt92 said:

Dr. Watson said:

Interesting.

As possibly the most Unreconstructed Southerner on this thing I have to say that Dr W is very well read and knowledgeable . His accounts of antebellum methods of dealing with slaves is what I have read and heard about for decades. Would love to hear a lot more info and stories from the good Dr.

HOWEVER it is not valid to judge 19th century people , their actions and their motivations using 21st century morals and belief systems. Slavery was a UNIVERSAL human institution in EVERY single minute of our human existence save the last few decades . (And technically slavery still exists in vast swaths of the mohammedean world and to a lesser extent in ALL of islam based on their treatment of women.)
Every nation, tribe, region, empire whatever that EVER existed has had slavery, it was as normal as breathing. Constantly denigrating our Southern ancestors is as ridiculous as chastising them for believing in say... the " vapors" causing colds or a moon phase causing cancer...etc.... The study of the " Peculiar Institution" is fascinating and a great subject BUT do not judge the men and women using our standards.
I am DAMN PROUD of my noble Southern forbearers even the many who owned slaves. They were pioneers, builders, planters and PATRIOTS who happened to live in an era where a massive change in morals and culture was beginning to take hold.
BQ78
AG
OA:
I know what you are trying to say but morality does not change, people's ideas about morality change. Just as slavery, however accepted at any time was, is and forever more shall be immoral. Americans who reflected deeply on it even when society accepted slavery knew it was morally repugnent.
Using your argument, we should never judge people who support abortion because our society generally accepts it. But even supporters say, "well it's not for me but who am I to judge other people who do not share my moral outlook." Sorry killing your children in any age is immoral, same with slavery.
coyote68
My great-grandmother is the source a source of much of my knowledge regarding the post civil war history. Her father, older brothers, and father-in-law all served one Confederate Army. They were from Williamson County and cotton farmers. According to her, the defeat and the freeing of the slaves was not the cause of the hatred that developed later. She was vehement in her hatred of the "Yankees" who enforced martial law after the war. Whatever happened under martial law created an animosity towards that was passed down several generations. Thank God this iniquity was not passed on to me and my children.
VanZandt92
coyote68 said:

My great-grandmother is the source a source of much of my knowledge regarding the post civil war history. Her father, older brothers, and father-in-law all served one Confederate Army. They were from Williamson County and cotton farmers. According to her, the defeat and the freeing of the slaves was not the cause of the hatred that developed later. She was vehement in her hatred of the "Yankees" who enforced martial law after the war. Whatever happened under martial law created an animosity towards that was passed down several generations. Thank God this iniquity was not passed on to me and my children.

Our families in Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi didn't mention martial law that I'm aware of, but that doesn't mean there isn't validity to the statement.

I would also interject that things got tough because of swindlers and ruffians even before the war ended. They weren't all Yankees. We have a grandmother's letters describing it before the war ended.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.