On this date, 1836

57,894 Views | 255 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cupofjoe04
ABATTBQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2016 is the same calendar as 1836

Archival Communications Fannin and Goliad Aug 1835-Mar 1836

James W. Robinson to James W. Fannin February 13, 1836: Lieutenant-governor of the Provisional Government (Robinson) has ordered militia reinforcements to join Fannin. Orders Fannin to fortify and defend Goliad and San Antonio. If opportunity comes, "give the enemy battle, but do not hazard much until you are reinforced."

James W. Robinson to James W. Fannin, February 13, 1836. Lieutenant-governor of the Provisional Government (Robinson) does not believe that Mexicans will attack either San Antonio or Goliad
ABATTBQ87
AG
James W. Fannin to James W. Robinson, February 16, 1836. From Goliad. Has learned that Mexican troops are to enter Texas in three divisions. One will march on San Antonio, one on Goliad, and one will go north or south of San Antonio into the heart of the settlements. Asks the Texas lieutenant-governor for reinforcements for both San Antonio and Goliad

Stephen F. Austin, Branch T. Archer, and William H. Wharton to Henry Smith, February 16, 1836. The three Texas commissioners to the U.S. write to the former governor of Texas [whom they do not know has been ousted from office] that the people of Tennessee strongly support Texan independence and are sending volunteers to help fight for it.

Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna to Jose Maria Tornel, February 16, 1836. Speaks of freeing the slaves in Texas once the rebels are driven out; believes Mexico should establish military colonies in Texas

Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna to Jose Maria Tornel, February 16, 1836. Wants instructions about how to deal with the colonies after order is restored. Writes of the causes of the present campaign in Texas. Mentions both slavery and land grants.
Cen-Tex
AG
Also on Feb. 16th, Santa Anna's army crossed the Rio Grande river into Texas at the Paso de Francia crossing. The army had been camped at Guerrero, Mex. Guerrero is about 35 miles south of Eagle Pass.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
Also on Feb. 16th, Santa Anna's army crossed the Rio Grande river into Texas at the Paso de Francia crossing. The army had been camped at Guerrero, Mex. Guerrero is about 35 miles south of Eagle Pass.

gigemhilo
AG
From the mountains around gonzales, they should have seen them cross the Riverr!!!

(sorry - still laughing about that Texas mini-series...)
XpressAg09
AG
ABATT is slipping...

FANNIN to ROBINSON [Mission of Refugio February 17, 1836] Not the least doubt should any longer be entertained, by any friend of Texas, of the design of Santa Anna to overrun the country and overrun or exterminate every white man within its borders. May I be permitted to ask of them in sober earnestness, "Why halt ye between two opinions?" Your soil is again to be polluted by the footsteps of the hirelings of an unprincipled despot. Will the freemen of Texas calmly fold their arms, and wait until the approach of their deadly enemy compels them to protect their own firesides?...It is useless to controvert the fact that our true strength and geographical situation are well known to Santa Anna. This expedition against Texas has long since been determined by Santa Anna; and Colonel Almonte was sent to Texas for the express purpose of ascertaining these facts, which, you will see from his report, he faithfully executed.... In conclusion, let me implore you to lose no time and spare no expense in spreading these tidings throughout Texas, and ordering out the militia "IN MASS." Spare us, in God's name, from elections in camp. Organize at home, and march forward in order and good may result from it. I have barely time to say that an election was holden on yesterday for Colonel and Lieut.-Colonel and that myself and Maj. Ward received nearly a unanimous vote.... In hast, I have the honor to subscribe myself with sentiments of high consideration. Your obedient servant, J. W. Fannin, Jr., Col. Commanding. [To James W. Robinson]
BQ78
AG
I think I see the heads of two ISIS terrorists to the right of the white water.

Just think in three or four more years President Trump will have that scene blocked by a huge wall built with funds from Mexico by Mexicans.
ABATTBQ87
AG
FANNIN to ROBINSON. [February 21, 1836] It affords me some little satisfaction to discover that you have so promptly met my expectations, and taken the first sure steps yet taken to force the militia to the field. But you will allow me to say, I am yet a sceptic, and do not calculate to see any considerable force in the field, until those already there are either sacrificed, or forced to make a retrograde movement, Do not believe, for a moment, that I have any such idea at present, or ever had....

I am fortifying here, so as to make the place tenable for a reasonable force....

I have caused a trench to be dug five feet from the old wall, and picketed in, and, four feet from that, another ditch, six feet wide, and four deep, to fill in from the picketing to the wall-and Artillery placed to defend it,
&c.; also one new block-house, and old ones enlarged and strengthened; also one masked battery with old gun-barrels, &c.; lastly, though not the least important, a new sally-port to water, and a ditch from it to a natural ravine, into which I can back the water. and have my men entirely covered from the walls to water, which never can be cut off. This will all be completed, and nine pieces of Artillery mounted by "the Ides of March ......

I have caused the Old Priest, and thirteen soldiers, including one lieutenant, (who belonged to Captain Saverago's company) and who have been making their brags, sending their couriers, &c. to be made prisoners and forward a roll of narnes, tender of service, &c. I will forward them all soon. and refer you to Colonel James Powers for particulars. All I shall say is, secure well all prisoners, and suffer none to go on parole. This man of God is the blackest of old villains,-a murderer, adulterer, &c., and his influence is almost unbounded. I hope you will soon release me from the army, at least as an officer.

But whilst I am in command, both private and public enemies shall be attended to. There is more danger from these spies, who are so intimately acquainted with the country, than from twenty times the number of armed soldiers. I again tell you, we must not rely on Mexicans. It would be a fatal delusion.

Give us a flag to fight under, as unlike theirs as possible. We need one, and have nothing to make it of, and hope the Convention will furnish a new one, in time to hoist it in defiance of Santa Anna. Do send some money, and clothes, and shoes, for the soldiers. [James W. Fannin, Jr.] [To James W. Robinson]

P.S. In relieving guard yesterday, the corporal marched off bare-footed. Many of the men are so near naked, that only certain parts of their body are covered. I will send you the Padre, to officiate as your chaplain, during the Convention.
ABATTBQ87
AG
FANNIN to ROBINSON. [February 22, 1836] [Dear Sir:] You will pardon me for not giving you more of my time, when I tell you that I have too much to do, to suffer me to copy even my communications. I have been greatly troubled to get my militia to work or do any kind of garrison duty: but I am now happy to say, that I have got them quite well satisfied, and being well-disciplined, and doing good work.

The fortress will be completely regulated by 3d March--and in anticipation, I have this day, christened it Fort Defiance. We had a Lottery, placing Milam, Defiance, and Independence in the wheel: when Defiance was drawn out. It was objected to Milam, that Bexar should receive the honour of being called after him, as his bones are there; and Independence it was thought, would look like army dictation. Dame Fortune settled the matter for us, and Defiance it is.

I am critically situated. General Houston is absent on furlough, and neither myself nor army have received any orders as to who should assume the command. It is my right; and, in many respects, I have done so, where I was convinced the public weal required it. I well know that many men of influence view me with an envious eye, and either desire my station, or my disgrace.

The first, they are welcome to and many thanks for taking it off my hands. The second will be harder to effect. Will you allow me to say to you, and my friends of the old or new Convention, that I am not desirous of retaining the present, or receiving any other appointment in the army? I did not seek. in any manner, the one I hold, and, you well know, had resolved not to accept and but for Colonel Barnet and Clements, and Kerr, would have declined. I am a better judge of my military abilities than others, and if I am qualified to command an army, I have not found it out. I well know I am a better company officer than most men now in Texas, and might I do with Regulars &-c for a Regiment. But this does not constitute me a commander. I also conscientiously believe that we have none fit for it now in the country; at least their talents have not been developed. With such as have been in the field since October, I do not fear comparison. But this is not the thing. I think you can get several first-rate officers from the United States. Do not cherish the hope of getting an officer now in service there with subaltern appointments. If you make offers of any such, give the field-offices at once, no matter who is left out. In organizing the army, do not say that the Major General shall be Commander-in-Chief. it may be necessary to appoint some such man as Carrol or Ripley, and no Major-General in Texas ought to complain of having such men raised over him. Leave room that it can be done, if an opportunity offer, and necessity requires it.

I would recommend a War Bureau, and an experienced, energetic man at the head of it. Guard well the Constitution, and avoid such parts of that of the United States as have caused so much contention, and given rise to such various constructions.

Secure all kinds of property, and invite the cotton and sugar-grower into your country. The right of suffrage and the Judiciary will have your especial care, and I hope will be strictly attended to. Will you allow me to call your attention to some young men, the best qualified men I have ever seen in Texas, Captains Wm. G. Cook, and N. R. Brister, both of the New Orleans Greys---John S. Brooks, and Joseph M. Chadwell, who have each served since the 24th of December, as Adjutant and Sergeant-Major, decidedly the best officers I know of, having received a Military education, and each of some experience; also, Joseph Cardle and Thomas Barton, the first a regular graduate at the Point, and nine years In U.S. Army; the latter, seven years in U.S. Marines, and wishes to be in Artillery, if possible; also, Lieut. Hugh McLeod., U.S. Army, now waiting at Fort Jesup, and his horse ready and resignation written, and did once start....

If my family get in, I should like to join them.... After near eighteen months absence, nothing but dire necessity can keep me from my wife and children. Write me, and tell me how you get on. What from Archer, Austin and Co., &c.,& [James W. Fannin, Jr.] [To James W. Robinson]

Included with above letter in Jenkins Papers of the Texas Revolution: A day or two after this last letter, Colonel Fannin received intelligence of the actual advance of the enemy to the neighbourhood of the Texan boundary. Colonels Johnson and Grant, in the vicinage of San Patricio, encountered the van of the right division of the invading army and nearly their whole company were cut off. Of this unhappy mischance, Colonel Johnson. who with two or three others, were the only survivors, brought the first tidings. It was on the first of March that Colonel Fannin wrote to the Governor and Council of Texas, thus:-"I am pleased to inform you of the arrival, last night. of Colonel Johnson, Messrs. Tone, Toler and Miller, who were so fortunate as to escape from San Patricio. They can give no information as to the remainder of their companions except of Mr. Beek, who also escaped and is below.... From all I can learn, we have to play a desperate game on both sides: life. liberty, and property-the honour of' our families and ancestors on the one;-a Throne and Power Supreme on the other. Much larger preparations have been made, and are making, (than expected) to insure the conquest and expulsion of every man who speaks the English language, from Mexican soil....

General Ramirez Sezma has command of the division approaching, or already in, Texas, and probably in Bexar. I have not sufficient information as to who comes here, or as to number, or time of approach....

Some troops are approaching from Laredo, the advance of which we suppose to be the party who attacked and routed our countrymen at San Patricio. I am now pretty well prepared to make battle. I have nearly completed my fortifications, and have beef enough for twenty days, and will have more. I hope soon to have coffee., clothing, and some ammunition. I learn from several sources, that as soon as Bexar is retaken, they next march here, and thus complete their chain of communication to the Interior and Gulf. I am resolved to await your orders, let the consequence be what it may. But I say to you, candidly and without the fear of Mexican arms, that unless the people of Texas, forthwith, turn out in mass, agreeably to my plan of the 8th ult, those now in the field will be sacrificed, and the battles that should be fought here, will be fought East of the Brasos, and probably the Trinity. I should be pleased to have one more cxpress from Washington, and if we are not to be sustained in a proper manner, and in good time, receive orders to fall back to the Provisions, and on the Colonies, and let us all go together. I again repeat to you, that I consider myself bound to await your orders. I cannot, in a military point of view, be considered now as acting commander-in-chief, as I have never received orders to that effect, nor has the army.

Again, I received furlough to the first of April. Again, I am the chosen Commander of this Regiment of Volunteers. Lastly, I have orders from you not to make a retrograde movement, but to await orders and reinforcements. If a large force gets here, and in possession of the provisions and stores of Matagorda Bay, being all now in Texas, it will be a desperate game for us all.

I would, therefore, urge the adoption of such measures as may secure them, and without delay. I have no doubt the enemy at Bexar are already apprized of their location; and knowing our weakness, and want of cavalry, may, and I fear will, make a dash between us and Provisions, and secure them.... If ... I am desirous to be erased from the list of officers, or expectants of office, and have leave to bring off my brave foreign volunteers, in the best manner I may be able. If we should fail in the effort, and fall a sacrifice to the criminal indifference, cold and unpardonable apathy and neglect of there are people ... who will bestow censure where it is due, and, peradventure, drop a tear over our memory.

In a note to this letter, he says:-"Santa Anna has not, and cannot bring here exceeding five thousand men, unless he obtain aid from the South, which it is believed he cannot do. If a general turn out be made, we can make a clean turn, and then sow and reap our grain in quiet, and rid the world of a tyrant. In a second note, he says:-"I have 420 men, and as many spare muskets, but no men to back them."
ABATTBQ87
AG
February 23, 1836: Santa Anna reaches San Antonio.

February 23, 1836: Travis sends a dispatch for help to Gonzales:
"To any of the inhabitants of Texas. The enemy in large force is in sight. We want men and provisions. Send them to us. We have 150 men and are determined to defend the Alamo to the last. Give us assistance."

February 23, 1836: Travis and Bowie send a dispatch to Fannin in Goliad. It reads:
"We have removed all our men into the Alamo, where we will make such resistance as is due to our honour, and that of the country, until we can get assistance from you, which we expect you to forward immediately. In this extremity, we hope you will send us all the men you can spare promptly. We have one hundred and forty-six men, who are determined never to retreat. We have but little provisions, but enough to serve us till you and your men arrive. We deem it unnecessary to repeat to a brave officer, who knows his duty, that we call on him for assistance."

February 23, 1836: Santa Anna orders the red flag of "no quarter" flown from the San Fernando church, in clear view of the Alamo defenders. Travis fires his 18 pound cannon in answer.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Cen-Tex
AG
The Alamo "High Holy Days", from February 23 thru March 6th.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
And,1836 was a leap year so the dates and days are the same this year as they were in 1836.

The Original AG 76
AG
And as has been my custom for years I am flying my Alamo 1824 flag. I also have it flying on my place outside of CS and , as usual. my neighbors are all asking why I am flying a ^&**%@ mexican flag !! . Another excuse to give em a quick Texas history lesson.

I have over 25 different historical flags , mostly Texas and CSA flags, that I fly during the year along with a few British flags that always prompts a " ok history lesson time " email from the neighbors . Its fun.
JABQ04
AG
quote:
And,1836 was a leap year so the dates and days are the same this year as they were in 1836.

I wonder if the folks who made that craptacular "Texas Rising" didn't take this into account. Piss poor research at its finest but still if they counted 13 days from the 23rd of February with out taking into account the leap year then the Alamo would have fell on the 7th of March and not the 6th.
AquaAg1984
AG
quote:
quote:

I wonder if the folks who made that craptacular "Texas Rising" didn't take this into account. Piss poor research at its finest but still if they counted 13 days from the 23rd of February with out taking into account the leap year then the Alamo would have fell on the 7th of March and not the 6th.
The only thing these folks took into account was how much money they could make to put back in their account.

Dates? Are you serious? From the folks that put west Texas mountains into east central TX? Dates? Historical dates?
ABATTBQ87
AG
OK, back to the topic not the mini series

February 24, 1836: Jim Bowie becomes so ill that he is unable to continue his joint command and turns sole command over to Wm. Travis.

February 24, 1836: Travis sends a letter out by Albert Martin:
"To the People of Texas and All Americans in the World-
Fellow Citizens and Compatriots:
I am besieged with a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna. I have sustained a considerable Bombardment and cannonade for 24 hours and have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded surrender at discretion, otherwise the garrison is to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, and our flag still waves proudly from the wall. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism, and everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid with all dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily and will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier who never forgets which is due his honor and that of his country.
VICTORY OR DEATH.
William Barret Travis, Lt. Col. commanding the Alamo"
ABATTBQ87
AG
John Sowers Brooks to Mary Ann Brooks, February 25, 1836. Writes from Goliad to sister that Alamo defenders have "determined to hold out to the last and have solicited reinforcements from us." Says 320 men will start that night or the next morning for San Antonio. If they can fight their way through into the Alamo, perhaps they can hold out until more reinforcements arrive

John Sowers Brooks to A. H. Brooks, February 25, 1836. Writes from Goliad to his father that 320 men and four pieces of artillery will be off the next morning for San Antonio. The men are almost naked and without provisions or discipline.

Robert McAlpin Williamson to the Governor and Council of Texas, February 25, 1836. Author, commanding a corps of Rangers, reports from Gonzales about Mexican troops arriving in San Antonio. Encloses the text of a letter to J. J. Tomlinson at Bastrop, reporting the same and also urging defensive measures against both Mexicans and Indians.

February 25, 1836: In a daring raid a small group of Alamo defenders race out and burn La Villita--a small collection of huts near the Alamo that the Mexicans had been using as protective cover.
XpressAg09
AG
quote:
Robert McAlpin Williamson
Dude had a sickness in his youth that permanently bent his right leg at the knee.

Led some Rangers, fought at Gonzales, fought at San Jacinto. Was such a badass, they decided to name Williamson County after him.
Apparently a statue is being built outside the courthouse.
Cen-Tex
AG
25 Feb - not too late to go over the wall and fight another day
ABATTBQ87
AG
February 26, 1836: It is a very cold day in San Antonio, with a norther coming in.

February 26, 1836: Fannin decides to march to the aid of the Alamo. He sets out from Goliad with 320 men. Almost immediately, troubles begin. Wagons break down and extra oxen are required to pull the artillery across the San Antonio River, just outside Goliad. By late afternoon the river is crossed and Fannin makes camp.

February 27, 1836: The norther still blows through San Antonio.

February 27, 1836: Fannin calls a council of war. It is pointed out that there is little food to sustain 320 men on a march to San Antonio. Also, to leave Goliad exposes the entire left flank of Texas to attack by the Mexican Army. The decision is made to return to Fort Defiance in Goliad.

February 27, 1836: Launcelot Smithers reaches San Felipe with Travis' dispatch of Feb. 24.

February 27, 1836: Travis sends James Butler Bonham with a dispatch to Fannin.

February 27, 1836: Santa Anna sends a messenger to Mexico City informing them that he has taken San Antonio. He neglects to mention anything about the Alamo.
ABATTBQ87
AG
February 28, 1836: Santa Anna receives word that Fannin is coming from Goliad with 200 men to the aid the Alamo defenders. By the time Santa Anna receives this message Fannin has already decided to remain at Fort Defiance in Goliad.

February 28, 1836: A messenger arrives at Goliad with the news for Fannin that the Mexicans under General Urrea have defeated Colonel Frank Johnson's forces at the battle of San Patricio, just fifty miles south of Fannin's forces. Although Johnson escaped, most of his men were killed.
ABATTBQ87
AG
FANNIN to ROBINSON. Head Quarters Army of Texas Fort Defiance Goliad Feby 28 1836 6 o'c P.M.

To the Acting Governor, & Council of the Provisional Govt. of Texas I have to inform you that I have just received the unpleasant intelligence that Colo. Johnsons command were yesterday morning before day light surprised by the Enemy at San Patricio- I received my intelligence by express from Edwd. Gritten in the Mission del Refugio, who reports that Col. Johnson with two men had arrivd, on foot at a Rancho near that place- I also learn that two others had arrived at the Mission---Capt Pearson was shot down & others when asking for Quarters- From those who have escaped it is impossible to learn the strength of the army or the loss sustained by our countrymen

Mr. Gritten writes that Col. Johnson and his Companions will as soon as fresh horses can be procured proceed to this place They will probably arrive tomorrow morning This morning Col. Ferris left this post with a communication from me informing you of the return of the Troops to this place after crossing the River on the way to Bexar. The propriety of their retrogade movement will now be apparent. It is now obvious that the Enemy have entered Texas at two points, for the purpose of attacking Bexar & this place-

The first has been attacked and we may expect the enemy here momentarily- Both places are importent- and this at this time particularly so- All our provisions are at Matagorda Dewitts Landing Coxes point & on the way here- We have not in the garrison supplies of Bread Stuff for a single day and as yet but little Beef and should our Supplies be cut off our situation will be, to say the least disagreeable- & in case we are not reinforced and a sufficient force sent to convey the provisions (as we have no means of transportation) when famine begins to look us in the face, we shall be compelled to cut our way through the enemy leaving the artillery & munitions of war in their hands-

We hope, however for the best we hope that before this time the people have risen and are marching to the relief of Bexar & this post- but should the worst happen- on whose head should the burthen of censure fall- not on the heads of those brave men who have left their homes in the United States to aid us in our struggle for Liberty -but on those whose all is in Texas & who notwithstanding the repeated calls have remained at home without raising a finger to keep the Enemy from their thresholds- What must be the feelings of the Volunteers now shut in Bexar- & what will be those of this command if a sufficient force of the enemy should appear to besiege us here without provisions- Will not curses be heaped on the heads of the sluggards who remained at home with a knowledge of our situation

Our present force in Garrison is about four Hundred & twenty, including Guerra's company of Mexicans---(about five white citizens of Texas in this number I omitted to mention that the force on the Nueces was divided into two parties one under Col. Johnson---in the Village of San Patricio & the other under Col. Grant & Maj. Morris on the road above- of the fate of the latter party we know nothing---as yet.

I am with respect & Consideration Yr. obt. servt. J. W. Fannin Jr. Col. Comt. &c. Superscription: If this can be fowd early, so as to overtake the Express sent off this morning, it will save much time---Col. Ferris went by Dimmitts landing with it---Speed---go at speed Forward with all dispatch and spread the alarm & call out the whole people to arms---to arms. [Addressed: To/His Excellency James W. Robinson Actg Govr and Genl. Council of Texas Washington Express
ABATTBQ87
AG
February 29, 1836: Leap Year's Day sees the end of the norther in San Antonio. Santa Anna decides he must deal with Fannin's forces before dealing with the Alamo.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Because I like the scene:

Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
And as has been my custom for years I am flying my Alamo 1824 flag. I also have it flying on my place outside of CS and , as usual. my neighbors are all asking why I am flying a ^&**%@ mexican flag !! . Another excuse to give em a quick Texas history lesson.

I have over 25 different historical flags , mostly Texas and CSA flags, that I fly during the year along with a few British flags that always prompts a " ok history lesson time " email from the neighbors . Its fun.
Must be related to my Dad. I swear he has a flag for every historical occasion. Texas, Alabama, South Carolina, CSA (mostly hand sewn), American Rev, French and Indian, Colonial and various British and Scottish banners.

The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
quote:

Must be related to my Dad. I swear he has a flag for every historical occasion. Texas, Alabama, South Carolina, CSA (mostly hand sewn), American Rev, French and Indian, Colonial and various British and Scottish banners.

I just counted..I have 47 different flags. Sounds like your dad has me beat. Nothing from the French and Indian and only a couple of American Rev era.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I just counted..I have 47 different flags. Sounds like your dad has me beat. Nothing from the French and Indian and only a couple of American Rev era.
No.... that sounds about the same number. Colonial Militia flags are pretty neat.
93Spur
quote:
quote:
Robert McAlpin Williamson
Dude had a sickness in his youth that permanently bent his right leg at the knee.

Led some Rangers, fought at Gonzales, fought at San Jacinto. Was such a badass, they decided to name Williamson County after him.
Apparently a statue is being built outside the courthouse.

Known as "Three Legged Willie."
Ranger, Rep. of Texas Supreme Court Justice, newspaper man, Legislator (both state/republic houses). (I monthly eat lunch with one of his g-g-g-g grandsons.)
ABATTBQ87
AG
March 1, 1836: Thirty-two men from Gonzales, lead by George Kimball, (and calling themselves the Gonzales Ranging Company of Mounted Volunteers), arrive at the Alamo at 3 am.

March 1, 1836: Even though ammo is low, Travis authorizes the firing of one of the 12 pounders to celebrate the arrival of the men from Gonzales. Two shots are fired. One strikes the building used as the headquarters of Santa Anna. He is elsewhere at the time.

ABATTBQ87
AG
FANNIN to DESAUQUE and CHENOWETH. Head Quarters Army Texas 5 oclock, P.M. 1st mch 1836 Capts Desauque & Chenworth Yours of 28th ult. was recd. this evening & I hasten to answer it, aggreeable to previous arrangements I marched the troops the evening you left & with much difficulty got two waggons & partly across the river one mile above not having provisions but for one day and having only sixty seven men & no provisions for them in the Garrison Two waggons stalled & another could not be got over in this situation they were encamped for the night expecting trains from below The messenger dispached whilst you were here not having returned, about this time an express arrived from Matagorda giving us intelligence of the arrival of more provisions stores clothing &c and shortly afterwards another came in from San Patricio giving us the unpleasant information that our countrymen under the command of Col. Johnson were attacked and inhumanely murdered mostly after surrendering except five who have arrived here (last night) (To wit) Col. Johnson Love Miller Fuler & Beck

In this situation not able to go forward and what was then understood & believed to be a division or its advance to the west coming against this post a council of war was unanamously demanded of me by the Volunteer officers and granted of course it was resolved to be inexpedient to attempt to go forward and that we should return and complete the Fortification and await our doom until relcived whipped or we conquer I have some quantity of Beef cattle and hope soon to have more, and Flour, clothing &c I immediately forwarded an express to Washington Demitts Landing &c. and one after any provisions that might be on the way to Bexar and inform them of our movements also the committee of safety of Gonzales-I will soon bring to bear this place-which I think can be defended some time by 200 men and am informed by persons from Victoria that Col. Wharton crossed the Guadaloupe on Saturday with 270 men and 9 carts with about 70 Barrels flour and proceded toward Bejar-If you can find him or communicate with Gonzales and know how many volunteers will form a junction & if informed speedily I will push out 200 and cooperate-we shall not be able to bring two pieces of cannon

I think Wharton will try and go by Gonzales or if he saw my express and that was the day it passed Victoria, may endeavor to find me near where you are stationed I would advise you either to return here with the provisions or proceed to Gonzales and hold conferrence with the officers in command-I am in hourly expectation of either an attack or information of the near approach of the enemy I also hope to hear from St. Felipe & to learn that 1000 citizens are out-Mr. Royall informs me that our agents in N. O. gives information of large quantities of supplies being shipd for here by the Mexican Govt. and hence their desire to gain this place to keep up a chain of communication and cover the coast. It is equally important for us to retain it and cover our own scanty stock-Under all the circumstances I was unable to move and do trust no bad effects will follow I would risk life and all for our brave men in the Alamo, but circumstanced as I was and even now am I could not, do otherwise If you can communicate this to them and adopt the following cipher in your communications double the alphabet and uniformly an A. for Z. B. for Y. and X for C. &c & so vice versa inform all officers of this and should any despatches fall into their hands they will not be the gainers by it.

Write me & forward by expresses in hast I am &c J. W. Fannin [addressed:] Capts. Desauque Chenoworth or other Volunteer Officers of Texas Cibolo or elsewhere
ABATTBQ87
AG
March 2, 1836: Texas Independence is declared at Washington-on-the-Brazos.

March 2, 1836: Sam Houston issues a broadside:
"War is raging on the frontiers. Bejar is besieged by two thousand of the enemy, under the command of general Siezma. Reinforcements are on their march, to unite with the besieging army. By the last report, our force in Bejar was only one hundred and fifty men strong. The citizens of Texas must rally to the aid of our army, or it will perish. Let the citizens of the East march to the combat. The enemy must be driven from our soil, or desolution will accompany their march upon us. Independence is declared, it must be maintained. Immediate action, united with valor, alone can achieve the great work. The services of all are forthwith required in the field.
SAM HOUSTON,
Commander-in-Chief of the Army.
P.S.
It is rumored that the enemy are on their march to Gonzales, and that they have entered the colonies. The fate of Bejar is unknown. The country must and shall be defended. The patriots of Texas are appealed to, in behalf of their bleeding country.
S.H.
ABATTBQ87
AG
A.J. Ferguson from J. G. Ferguson,
Goliad, Texas March 2, 1836
Mr. A. J. Ferguson, Dear Brother---I am now within the walls of this town waiting for the enemy which we are expecting daily for they have already besieged San Antonio, only one hundred miles distant, and report tells us that 200 troops are coming on to attack this place. Our number of men consists of about 400, all of which are volunteers from the States, with the exception of 30 regulars. Our commander is Col. Fannin, and I am sorry to say, the majority of the soldiers do not like him, for what cause I do not know, without it is because they think he has not the interest of the country at heart, or that he wishes to become great without taking the proper steps to attain greatness.

On last Friday, February 26, we started to San Antonio to attack the enemy at that place but we only got two miles from town and camped for the night, and next morning a council of war was called when it was concluded that we had better return and put the town in a better state of defense, which upon the whole was a good policy, not only in that respect but others, one of which is this. All of our provisions in the bread line were as Campano and Dimmit's Point, forty miles below here and it was necessary that we should stay in order to keep the Mexicans from cutting off our supplies. Which no doubt would have been done; and they may do it yet for there are not troops at either place to hinder them from so doing.

Provisions are very scarce and have been. I have had to live three days at a time on bull beef and coffee but now our coffee has given out, and without new supplies, our bread will be out in a few days then it will be beef all the time. We are not prepared by any means to stand a siege, in as much as we neither have ammunition nor provisions, so you see we must make decisive battles. I think I stand a good chance for being seargeant-mate to the army at this place as soon as there is something to do in that line. The situation of the country is of high, dry character, no local causes for diseases of any kind and the land is of high rolling nature. We brothers may never meet on earth again, yet I pray God we may all meet in Heaven. Yes, Jack, though I am surrounded by wicked men, yet I still try to serve the Lord. Tell Nancy that I have heard from James and David Wright. They are both living and doing pretty well. I have not space on this sheet of paper to write you much more, so farewell.

May God bless you and preserve you is my prayer for Christ's sake. J. G. Ferguson
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Bejar is besieged by two thousand of the enemy, under the command of general Siezma.
He didn't know it was Santa Anna, or am I missing something?
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
quote:
Bejar is besieged by two thousand of the enemy, under the command of general Siezma.
He didn't know it was Santa Anna, or am I missing something?

Don't know what Sam Houston knew but this is what he wrote

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.