USS Houston Located

3,607 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Propane & Accessories
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Navy divers from the U.S. and Indonesia have confirmed that a sunken vessel in the Java Sea is the World War II wreck of the USS Houston, a cruiser sunk by the Japanese that serves as the final resting place for about 700 sailors and Marines.

MySanAntonio.com

The story of the Houston is always worth repeating.
AEK
AG
Ship of Ghosts
SBISA Victim
AG
I wish they'd find the Indianapolis.
aalan94
AG
Look for the Indy in Jaws' stomach.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
RIP Captain Albert Harold Rooks, Medal of Honor recipient.

I had the honor of managing the Corps of Engineers public park east of Walla Walla, WA whose name honors the man, a native of Colton, WA for 10 years. He died on the USS Houston and went down with the ship. Even though he was not an Aggie, I feel he deserves a Here.
jeffk
AG
Absolutely.

Here.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Sunk in Feb. '42. Less than 3 months after Pearl Harbor.

RIP Sailors.

Here.
Frankenstein
AG
folks, folks, folks. her location has not been a mystery since the end of ww2. her bell has been atop a memorial in western downtown houston for decades.

she's being scrapped by metal thieves currently. the so called water police in indonesia are doing next to nothing.
p_bubel
Quote:

As the Dutch site Telegraaf reports, workers employed by the metal scavengers say the remains were dumped in a common grave near the port of Brondong in east Java, Indonesia. The British Ministry of Defence has condemned the acts, saying it was in "distress" upon hearing the news. In the Netherlands, the Dutch parliament is in a furor over the situation, demanding answers from Indonesian officials.

Back in 2016, the Dutch defense ministry was horrified to discover that three of its ships lost during the 1942 Battle of the Java Seathe de Ruyter, Java, and Kortenaerhad all but disappeared from the seafloor. Scavengers, posing as fisherman, used explosives to rip apart the ships so that the resulting bits and pieces could be raised to a barge waiting on the surface. The material was brought to shore where workers meticulously sorted through the debris in search of valuable metals. According to The Guardian, the metal from a single ship can fetch upwards of $1.3 million. Around 40 WWII-era ships have been either partially or completely destroyed in the area, including UK, Australian, and US vessels.

But the scavengers also came across the remains of Dutch and British soldiers killed during the historic naval battle. Amidst the debris the workers found skulls, jawbones, feet and hand bones, hips, and ribs. Indonesian website Tirto.id say the remains were bagged and buried at a depth of three feet (one meter).

Gizmodo
Propane & Accessories
AG
WarAGle said:

I wish they'd find the Indianapolis.
They have found it USS Indianapolis found,

It could've been worse for the USS Houston, the HMAS Perth which sank in the same battle was heavily salvaged.
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.