Battle of Laredo - 1864

12,019 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SoTxAg
Cen-Tex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
149 years ago a small force of 42 confederates successfully defended Laredo against 200 union troops. The 33rd Texas Regiment was commanded by Col. Santos Benavides and the ranks were filled with both white and Hispanic soldiers.

Not sure this is taught in Texas schools...anyone know?
Pro Sandy
AG
ddp

[This message has been edited by pro sandy (edited 3/19/2013 1:40a).]
Pro Sandy
AG
ddp

[This message has been edited by pro sandy (edited 3/19/2013 1:40a).]
Pro Sandy
AG
My recollection from 7th grade was learning about civil war battles at Sabine Pass, Galveston, Corpitos, and Palmetto Ranch.
45-70Ag
AG
Hard to imagine fighting over Laredo, much less defending it.
Corporal Punishment
AG
^
|
|
Beat me to it. Damn you.
WBBQ74
AG
Read about Rip Ford and the border during the Civil War. Interesting little side show.........

Smokedraw01
quote:
149 years ago a small force of 42 confederates successfully defended Laredo against 200 union troops. The 33rd Texas Regiment was commanded by Col. Santos Benavides and the ranks were filled with both white and Hispanic soldiers.

Not sure this is taught in Texas schools...anyone know?

Is it worth learning?
Aggie Infantry
AG
Found this
quote:
Laredo itself remained one of the few islands of royalist sentiment in a sea of pro-independence activists on the northern frontier

here
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hdl02

Yet another reason not to like Laredo...
aalan94
AG
Couple of points worth noting:

Santos Benavides was a Colonel, and the highest ranking Hispanic in the Confederate Army. He was a certifiable badass. Just look at him. He's like Cheech meets JEB Stuart:

He was later a Texas State Senator, where he was an ally of Governor Lawrence Sullivan Ross. Even in old age, he looked like he could bench press two or three Reconstruction Republicans:

He has an elementary school in Laredo named after him, so he's not forgotten locally: http://csbs.unitedisd.org/

As for Laredo being royalist/different, bear in mind that Laredo was a thriving, successful town when most of Texas was a backwater. For this reason, when Texas declared independence from Mexico, Laredo promptly declared independence from Texas. Of course, they didn't like Mexico either (this is all about interests, because neither country (Texas or Mexico) was capable of governing Laredo, as distant as it was. However, with a then-navigable Rio Grande/Bravo, Laredo thought it could do better trying to stand alone).

This was known as the Republic of the Rio Grande, and it's why to this day, the Laredo Morning Times honors the seven flags of Texas, including this one:

As for whether it's worth knowing, there is no history that actually happened, that is not worth knowing.

[This message has been edited by aalan94 (edited 3/24/2013 10:15p).]
Smokedraw01
I guess I should have said "worth teaching", especially in the 7th grade classroom. No disrespect to anyone.

We have to pick and choose. Due to the "pressure" of the job, I focus on other battles that my students will be responsible for as 8th graders. We will be focusing on the boondoggle that was the battle of Galveston.

Thanks to this site, I have taught my kids about the battle of Medina and my kids referenced it when discussing the Texas Revolution, unsolicited I might add.
RGV AG
AG
Benavides really, really helped the Cause. The cotton that went out through Matamoros/Bagdad was vitally important to the South.

Benavides also has the distinction to being the only CSA officer to fight the U.S., Mexico, and in "Indian Wars". He was a badass.
aalan94
AG
Interesting tidbit: all the cotton going out and arms coming in had to go by mule or oxen through South Texas, before finally reaching the southernmost train terminus in Texas, which at the time was in Millican, near where College Station is now.
The Original AG 76
AG
There WAS a Texas historical marker in Millican titled Millican CSA. It is now gone. Not sure if it was vandalized or what . It was knocked down several years ago and still is not replaced. The HISTORICAL MARKER highway sign is still there but I guess the PC police are refusing to replace the destroyed marker.
aalan94
AG
I'm sure it can be chalked up to bureacratic inefficiency.
LTC77
Threads like these are why I like to read the history board. They did not teach this to us in Jr. high, high school, or college (unless you happened to be a history major) so it is great to learn more about the history of our state.

It is much more complex, interesting, and colorful than we were ever told about in school. With some very interesting characters.
Cen-Tex
AG
Popular belief has it that confederate troops were comprised of only white plantation owners and poor whites fresh off the farm.

There were American Indians, Latinos, Chinese, Blacks and other minorities within CSA ranks that fought for their own reasons.
BQ78
AG
Cen-Tex:

The black man in that photo is a slave not a soldier.
brazosberries
I included Benavides and Laredo when I taught Texas history.
aalan94
AG
BQ78, I generally defer to you on all things Civil War, but he is wearing a uniform. It's possible it's a gag photo, but more than likely, he brought his slave along with him and armed him too. It is not impossible that slaves fought, in fact, there's pretty good circumstantial evidence that Joe, WB Travis' slave, did some fighting at the Alamo before getting captured and pretending to be a non-combattant.

Either way, the guy in the photo, if he fought, did not fight based off freewill for any high ideal, unless it was personal loyalty to his master.

One aspect of slavery that is glossed over is personal, or body slaves, and how closely they lived with, and associated with their masters. Some of them loved their masters. Sam Houston's slave though Sam was a great master, even if he did "beat me a little too much."

A lot of these slaves felt almost free, which to them was so much preferable to field hand life that they considered themselves very lucky. Generally, they were entrusted with the life of their master, so logically their treatment had to be such to not engender hate or resentment of the master.

It's a very odd relationship, more like a dutiful horse than a man, but these were people who lived in a dehumanize world, so any form of humanity they could aspire to would be preferable to field life.

[This message has been edited by aalan94 (edited 3/28/2013 2:40p).]
Cen-Tex
AG
I assumed he was both slave and soldier
BQ78
AG
When I have time, I'll come back and identify both men in that photo and tellyou what happened to them in the war. bottom line the black man is no soldier but a slave. Tad Lincoln dressed as a soldier too but he was not one either.
BQ78
AG
So to get back to this topic the two men in the picture are Andrew and Silas Chandler. Andrew is the solider and Silas is the slave dressed in a soldier’s tunic. Andrew was the 17 year old son of a Mississippi planter when he enlisted in the 44th Mississippi Infantry after the firing on Ft. Sumter near West Point, MS. Silas was one of the 35 slaves of the Chandler family. He was about age 25 and he accompanied Andrew to the war. Andrew served with the Army of Tennessee and Silas served as his general manservant, groom, launderer and cook. Andrew is listed on the roles of the 44th Mississippi, Silas is not.

One piece of evidence that Silas was not a soldier and was a slave is that he constantly travelled between the Army of Tennessee and the Chandler plantation carrying correspondence home and bringing goods back to Andrew. This was certainly a risky business for Silas. Although the slave catchers had throttled back during the war, because most of them were now in the Confederate Army, but they were still out there and the state militias were picking up some of the slack. If Silas was a soldier, he would not have been permitted to leave the army so often to go home. In one letter home in August 1862 as the Federals moved into north Mississippi and got close to the family home, Andrew wrote a letter home expressing concern for Silas saying, “Do not let them catch Silas.” Indicating he was not with the army at that time.

Andrew was wounded in the ankle at the Battle of Chickamauga and Silas was supposedly with him at that time. The family legend is that Silas pleaded with the surgeons not to amputate and used some money he had to pay them not to cut his leg off. Silas accompanied Andrew to the hospital in Atlanta (again a soldier could not have done this) and stayed with him during his recuperation. Andrew was crippled for life by the wound.

After the war both Andrew and Silas lived 15 miles apart from each other in Clay County, MS both marrying and raising families.
Further strong evidence that Silas was a slave was that in 1916 he filed for a Confederate pension in Mississippi. But he did not file as a soldier but as “an indigent servant of a soldier.” The pension application refers to his “owner.” So that discredits the family lore that Silas was freed by Andrew as they went off to war. To back that further, in 1856 Mississippi passed some draconian laws that made it very burdensome for an owner to free their slaves legally and those laws were still in effect when the war began.

Happy Appomattox Day to everyone .
Swan Song
AG
aalan94 said:

Santos Benavides was a Colonel, and the highest ranking Hispanic in the Confederate Army. He was a certifiable badass. Just look at him. He's like Cheech meets JEB Stuart:

He was later a Texas State Senator, where he was an ally of Governor Lawrence Sullivan Ross. Even in old age, he looked like he could bench press two or three Reconstruction Republicans:

He has an elementary school in Laredo named after him, so he's not forgotten locally: http://csbs.unitedisd.org/

As for Laredo being royalist/different, bear in mind that Laredo was a thriving, successful town when most of Texas was a backwater. For this reason, when Texas declared independence from Mexico, Laredo promptly declared independence from Texas. Of course, they didn't like Mexico either (this is all about interests, because neither country (Texas or Mexico) was capable of governing Laredo, as distant as it was. However, with a then-navigable Rio Grande/Bravo, Laredo thought it could do better trying to stand alone).

This was known as the Republic of the Rio Grande, and it's why to this day, the Laredo Morning Times honors the seven flags of Texas, including this one:

As for whether it's worth knowing, there is no history that actually happened, that is not worth knowing.

[This message has been edited by aalan94 (edited 3/24/2013 10:15p).
Hmm, looks an awful lot like a qb1 I know of...
Belton Ag
AG
Pretty fascinating stuff.
BQ_90
AG
cle96 said:

aalan94 said:

[This message has been edited by aalan94 (edited 3/24/2013 10:15p).
Hmm, looks an awful lot like a qb1 I know of...

I'd love it if Kellen ran outta the tunnel with that flag
Cen-Tex
AG
that pic is of Capt. Jose' (Joseph) De La Garza killed in the Battle of Mansfield, Louisiana on Apr 8, 1864.
https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fgapa

cavscout96
AG
Quote:

there is no history that actually happened, that is not worth knowing.
cavscout96
AG
aalan94 said:

Interesting tidbit: all the cotton going out and arms coming in had to go by mule or oxen through South Texas, before finally reaching the southernmost train terminus in Texas, which at the time was in Millican, near where College Station is now.
wow
aalan94
AG
Quote:

that pic is of Capt. Jose' (Joseph) De La Garza killed in the Battle of Mansfield, Louisiana on Apr 8, 1864.
Thanks. I've known that the pic was not Santos for a long time, but this post is from 2013. My errors of youth are haunting me.

Here is Santos Benavides:

Here is his brother, Cristobal:

Somewhere, very recently, I saw a photo of Santos in what appeared to be a Union uniform, pre-war. I had never read of him serving in the US army, but there it was, and it was unmistakeably him.
bicmitchum
just recently tuned in.this site is fascinating
SoTxAg
AG
In the book "To The Tyrants Never Yield" by Kevin Young he mentions that Santos turned down a brig general commission in the Union army in favor of a Confederate commission. Maybe he got a pic taken when he was trying out the uniform. The book also has a picture of the Benavides brothers all dressed in their gray uniforms.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.