Whiteselle Cherry Red from Corsicana

29,406 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by VicsLivinIt
aggie1969
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I found an old Cherry Red Brick that belonged to my grandfather .... and googling the subject found this old post from you on TexasAgs. Hope the original post writer, who chronicled the history of Cherry Red at A&M, is still around.

My grandfather's family were brick masons from England. They built the city of Corsicana and layed brick all over the Dallas to Waco to College Station area.

My grandfather helped build the original Corps Dorms and Quad .... I think he is responsible for this old Cherry Red brick I found today. We also have an Abilene Brick that is apparently very old also.

Please comment if you read this.

Thanks
BeBopAg
You want another Cherry Red ? Bop has plenty of 'em.
Corsicana streets were once solidly covered with those Whiteselle bricks. Sadly, most of 'em are now covered with asphalt.
Big brick yard once located south of Corsicana. Now gone (one storage structure still standing).
aalan94
AG
BeBop, I was in Corsicana only a few years ago and most of the downtown streets still have the brick.

I love brick streets, but they don't grip tires in the rain as well as asphalt. Kind of hard to brake on slick streets. That's why the only places you can have them are places with really low speed limits, like downtowns.
aalan94
AG
By the way, there was also a brick factory on the Seco creek in D'Hanis, near where I grew up west of San Antonio. In South Texas, you will see lots of bricks labled with Seco or D'Hanis (the only Texas town with an apostrophe in its name).

Bricks in the old days were very regional. By the way, the D'Hanis brick factory is still running and producing bricks. Or I should say it re-opened after being closed for a few years. Drove by there not too long ago and they are still using 120-year-old kilns.
terata
AG
I had a "cherry red" girlfriend once, but she turned into a "brick."
aggie1969
Be Bop:

Yes, I'd like to acquire at least one Cherry Red that is more intact. My sole brick is cracked away on two corners.

I'd trade you some other one: Abilene, etc., if you want. Or at least compensate you in some way.

How do I send you my reply email or other contact info?

Tx Ag72
In 1980 I bought 2000 new for a walkway. About 10 years ago needed to do some additions. They are hard to find, but a AG friend of mine in Palestine gave me all of the cherry reds in his Mom's backyard when they sold her house. They are expensive now. That is how I found about regional brick companies in Texas looking for cherry reds.
BeBopAg
Bop has a red brick simply labeled CORSICANA.

Can't locate one at my house indicating letters..."Cherry Red".

If interested will bring CORSICANA brick next fall to C/S and somehow hook up with you.
Tx Ag72
Oh, and I will give you one if don't find one at the frst home game, since I live here,
EVA3
AG
When did they become rare? I've always seen them by the thousands.
BeBopAg
EVA3...
Sir, your Cherry Red is a collector's item.
Treasure it and pass it on to your kids (or current or future grandkids).
aalan94
AG
They've got those at the house of Former Governor Dan Moody in Taylor, by the way.
BeBopAg
You can find Whiteselle Bricks all over Corsicana (with just "Whiteselle Corsicana" indentation indicators) but very few marked..."Cherry Red".
esteves26
My husband and I recently leveled our property and located over 200 "Whiteselles Cherry Reds Corsicana" bricks. We are in the process of cleaning them up. If anyone is interested in the purchase of these bricks, or can give us some background on them, please contact me.
Thank you.
EVA3
AG
I never knew these were rare or collectors items. I saw one in the back of a pickup about a month ago, just like the one pictured above.
SirGIGalot
AG
What would they be worth?
TxAgIT
ESTEVES....I maybe interested in the bricks. Let me know if you still have some.

thanks
bebopag1
error

[This message has been edited by bebopag1 (edited 5/29/2014 6:12p).]
bebopag1
Lot of Corsicana downtown streets still have curb to curb Cherry Red bricks.

[This message has been edited by bebopag1 (edited 7/8/2014 11:45p).]
skipper4302
I have a intact brick from 14 ft down in the street insan antonio
redranger026
Just a note the I have whiteselle brick which we found in the floor of a house in Belton if anyone wants any
redranger1426@yahoo.com
Look Out Below
AG
My in-laws are remodeling their house this spring and pulled some of these off intact. Apparently found others no longer made as well.
Suz
We are doing some renovating on our old garage and found 2 cherry red bricks in excellent condition, so i googled them and found this forum. It was intetesting to read so much about the history of the bricks. Our house is over 100 yrs old, i suspect the garage may be too. What a treasure we've found. Thanks to those who shared. We are Paris, Tx so not sure how these bricks came to be support for our garage.
StephD67
I have over 300 bricks stamped In three lines as follows-
WHITESELLE
CHERRY REDS
CORSICANA
all in near perfect condition. Can have a definite count for serious inquiries. Need them gone will not split them up. Contact me for more info Stephdugger67@gmail.com
ChipFTAC01
AG
Where are you located?
VicsLivinIt
While, renovating my backyard, I found over a 1000 bricks stamped "Whiteselle Cherry Reds Corsicana." I also found about 250 bricks with an "Abilene 76" stamp. Does anyone know if these bricks are valuable?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.