WWII U-Boats off Galveston !

15,514 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Independence H-D
BillYeoman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Long ago thread but I heard a story about a German U-Boat sailor who was captured in the North Atlantic. He apparently had a movie stub from a Victoria,Tx Does anyone have any background on Germans going ashore in Texas for supplies/entertainment? Or is a lot of this lore?
mandevilleag
I was on a cruise back in 2004 that did reconnaissance on the U-166 off the mouth of the Mississippi River, along with several other WWII wrecks sunk by u-boats. Here's a little info on that study.

https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/04gmss/welcome.html

And for even more info (and a little info on each of the wrecks we visited):

https://espis.boem.gov/final%20reports/4239.pdf
BigAbb81
AG
You might have students research landings of Uboats around Indianola and Port Lavaca areas on Gulf Coast just south of Victoria.
BigAbb81
AG
Research about construction of the intercoastal waterway might yield some interesting finds, one of the primary reasons it exists was to protect shipping from U-boats.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
There's also some interesting legend/history about some of the "-vich" families living downriver along the Mississippi from New Orleans providing aid and comfort to their bohemian brethren in U Boats who would come up the river during either WW1 or WW2 (can't recall which). I have heard these stories from family members who live in New Orleans. Not sure if there's anything to them.
Independence H-D
I had a great uncle who flew reconnaissance missions out of Rosenberg with the Civil Air Patrol looking for German U-boats in the Gulf. They went down in a massive storm and spent many hours in the water. They were rescued but died before they could get them ashore.

I believe the CAP facility in Rosenberg is named after him
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.