TLDR - I'm old. My knees hurt. Can't climb stairs. Can't take NSAIDS. What are my options?
I'm an active 71 year old male. I own a Peloton cycle and complete 4 rides per week. I walk 5 miles 3 days a week. I don't do enough strength training. 6'3" and 230lbs. Could lose some weight.
Diagnosed with herniated disc at T12 and L1 several years ago. Creates pain in right leg from ankle up to lower back when stepping up.
Two hip replacements. Knees hurt but not to a point for knee replacement per my Ortho doc.
Unprovoked DVT 3 years ago. Two physicians suggest it was the Covid vaccine. Can't take NSAIDS for arthritis because I'm taking Xarelto for potential blood clots.
All this to say during the last year it is becoming painful to climb anything. If there isn't a handrail I really can't climb stairs. If hiking I have to use hiking poles. Neither knee wants to take the pressure. Just returned from a trip in Grand Canyon NP and Zion NP. Hiked 7-10 miles every day with a day pack that weighed about 8 pounds.
It just hurts to walk now. From my hips to just below my knees ache all the time.
Riding the Peloton is painless.
Probably need to do see my doctor but any of you other old guys experiencing this? If so, do you have any recommendations?
Sorry for the dissertation.
I'm an active 71 year old male. I own a Peloton cycle and complete 4 rides per week. I walk 5 miles 3 days a week. I don't do enough strength training. 6'3" and 230lbs. Could lose some weight.
Diagnosed with herniated disc at T12 and L1 several years ago. Creates pain in right leg from ankle up to lower back when stepping up.
Two hip replacements. Knees hurt but not to a point for knee replacement per my Ortho doc.
Unprovoked DVT 3 years ago. Two physicians suggest it was the Covid vaccine. Can't take NSAIDS for arthritis because I'm taking Xarelto for potential blood clots.
All this to say during the last year it is becoming painful to climb anything. If there isn't a handrail I really can't climb stairs. If hiking I have to use hiking poles. Neither knee wants to take the pressure. Just returned from a trip in Grand Canyon NP and Zion NP. Hiked 7-10 miles every day with a day pack that weighed about 8 pounds.
It just hurts to walk now. From my hips to just below my knees ache all the time.
Riding the Peloton is painless.
Probably need to do see my doctor but any of you other old guys experiencing this? If so, do you have any recommendations?
Sorry for the dissertation.