Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Shingles vaccine

4,706 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by southernboy1
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hoosegow said:

Hey, I threw it out there with full disclosure. My shingles was not that bad. Shoulder, rib cage. At the worst, I've had more painful sunburns.

And if you trust a shot... you haven't been paying attention.

Shingrix is not an MRNA vaccine which would definitely be concerning.
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been paying attention. Vaccines are maybe the greatest accomplishment in the history of medicine.
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's inactive components of a dead virus you already had lol.
GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was a biochemistry/genetics double major at A&M.

I am not afraid of a regular vax or an MRNA vax. MRNA is amazing technology that will cure a lot of mankind's ills.
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Y'all do you. I will make a promise. IF I get shingles again and it is bad, I will be more than happy to come back and eat crow.

On a side note, shingle only reoccurs 1-9% of the population. Similar to the vaccine. I'm good.
Queso1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I developed it last year. It wasn't terrible, but it hurt. Took about a week and a half to go away. I still have intermittent and dull nerve pain that comes and goes every few weeks.

Of course I'm concerned it could come back and be in worse location. But, I'm pretty much vaxxed out at this point of my life.
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We had a friend (late 40s) get it a few months ago, right around the eye which is the very scary aspect. They at least recognized it and started treatment right away, but the location had them and the doc very concerned for a bit. But thankfully it responded well. If you get this on your face, you need to run, not walk, to getting treatment. Or if 50+, ya know, just get vaccinated and not worry about petty stuff like blindness
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another shingles victim checking in. Get the vaccine. I had a bad case in 2021 at the age of 45. Thought it was just for the olds. My doc said yes more common but he's seen a case in a 20 yr old.

Worst pain I've ever experienced and I've been though some stuff. Thought I had a herniated disk. Tried to tough it out at work one day and couldn't stand to do my job. Had to cancel the rest of my cases for the week.

Went to the ER, narcotics didn't touch it. Scheduled for an MRI the next day and woke up w a rash on my inner thigh. Went to my primary care doc and sat in the lobby till he could see me. He made the diagnosis quickly and I got started on antivirals. My pain level was off the charts 3-4 more days. Confined to the bed and couldn't move. The rash got worse, developed nasty skin lesions, and had/have long term scarring on my thigh and glute, although it's slowly gotten better over the years.

My doc recommended getting the vaccination 4-5 years afterwards, even after having shingles. I'm going to do it this fall.

Trip down memory lane - I remember my mom taking me to a chicken pox party when I was a kid. Seriously. Thanks for that. I understand the rationale as a child of the 70s but c'mon man.
Shelton98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think I ever contracted chicken pox as a kid. I'm 50.... should I vax or not?
YokelRidesAgain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shelton98 said:

I don't think I ever contracted chicken pox as a kid. I'm 50.... should I vax or not?


If you don't know if you ever had chickenpox, you can have your doctor test varicella IgG antibody, which will show previous infection. If negative, you should get the primary varicella series.

This will prevent chickenpox (which can be a fairly serious disease in adults) and also prevent you from ever getting shingles.

It's pretty unlikely that you were never infected, though. Probably had a mild, unrecognized case.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Shelton98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you.
IrishAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enrico Pallazzo said:

We had a friend (late 40s) get it a few months ago, right around the eye which is the very scary aspect. They at least recognized it and started treatment right away, but the location had them and the doc very concerned for a bit. But thankfully it responded well. If you get this on your face, you need to run, not walk, to getting treatment. Or if 50+, ya know, just get vaccinated and not worry about petty stuff like blindness
My aunt got it around her eyes and had to get daily shots in her eyes. And she ended up losing vision in one of them. Very scary during treatment as they were trying to prevent it from spreading to her other eye to prevent complete blindness.
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had shingles while playing football in high school. Very mild under my arm. Went away pretty fast.
I got it again at 43. Worst pain I had ever experienced. And I had been hurt pretty bad in a car wreck and had lots of bones broke playing football.
My dad got them really bad when he was 60. Damn near killed him and he was a tough old guy.

TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very similar to what I went through when I got it in my 40's doc. I couldn't even stand to have a bed sheet touch my chest!
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
Drshovelhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am dealing with this now. Dr recommended the vaccine a few years ago but insurance wouldn't cover it at the time. Kept putting it off. Then the pandemic hit, all the controversy with the vaccines at the time. Had it scheduled to get it the at the start of the year, and something popped up and never re-scheduled. Popped up on my neck this past Sat morning, thought it might be razor burn from shaving the night before, since everyone knows not to shave on game day. Woke up Sunday and it ran down the neck. Went and got the anti-viral meds and lidocaine ointment. Not super painful YET, but it is very uncomfortable. Hopefully I got on the meds early enough. Any tips to ease the itching and soreness?
southernboy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got it this morning. I'm feeling good about it. It's weird because that's the first vaccine I've had that I'm not always thinking the worst.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
southernboy1 said:

Got it this morning. I'm feeling good about it. It's weird because that's the first vaccine I've had that I'm not always thinking the worst.

This was the one vaccine I clamored to get when I turned 50. Although, I would get it younger in hindsight and just pay cash for it if I was younger than 50. No reason to wait for insurance unless you are just flat broke. (Granted, I have no idea what it cost out of pocket.)

I watched my buddy get it in his eye and almost go blind from it. No thanks.
southernboy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't know what it costs but it was free at HEB pharmacy.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.