Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Weight belt for squats?

804 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Ezra Brooks
jsc8116
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Background-46 yo, 6ft, 190lbs, in pretty good overall health. I had back surgery/laminectomy of 3 lower vertebrae for stenosis about 15 years ago. Helped a lot with sciatica and spasms. Had been doing squats since high school days. Havent worn a weight belt for squats after surgery as never really done "heavy weight" on squats after my surgery, doing sub 300lbs on squats on my heavy days.

Question is, would wearing a weight belt help prevent injuries and stabilize my back should I start to go up on weight on my squat days? I know there are 2 camps on pros/cons on belts.
Hoosegow
You are right - there are two camps...

Based on the back ground you provided, I would determine what your goals are. If you want a heavy squat, learn to use a belt properly and then only use it for your heavier lifts. You still want to develop all the stabilizers to help strengthen your back to help prevent injuries. So don't use a belt until you start hitting your working sets.

If you are just looking for overall health, don't use a belt. Leave your ego at the door. Normally people get hurt when they are tired or are trying to do too much. So on a day you just aren't feeling it, don't go "heavy."

If you decide to go the belt routine, don't waste your money on cheap crap. I'm a little old school so I would recommend an Inzer belt.

Belts, used properly, absolutely can help you prevent an injury. Note the used properly. Don't wear it all the time. Learn to use it correctly. But if you aren't going heavy, just make sure you have proper form and don't worry about a belt.

I guess, and I know I'm rambling a bit, if you want a big squat (however YOU define that), a belt will help. And yes it can help you prevent injuries. If you are just squatting for the health benefits, pay attention to your body and make small increases and don't wear a belt.
jtraggie99
AG
I always wear a belt on heavy squats and deadlifts. I grew up powerlifting and just always wore one. Now that I'm older and have had some disc issues, it's even more important (I believe it to be).

And definitely Inzer. They are pricey, but work and last a long time. The one I currently use is probably 25+ years old.
MouthBQ98
AG
I always wear an inexpensive but effective belt when I am doing anything that will load my lower back. It simply reminds me to keep good form, because I can feel it biting into my gut if I am losing good form. That's mostly what it is good for.

I never lift enough to where a belt makes a difference regarding ability to lift it. For me, they work.
P.U.T.U
AG
The older I get the less equipment I use. I also don't try to push heavy heavy weights anymore or go to max. Always seemed to get injured and getting older only car about overall health. I'd rather be healthy and be able to play with my kids than be able to squat 500+ again and tweak a muscle a few times a year
Tex117
AG
I would suggest using a belt at anything over body weight on a squat.

Inzer, Best Belt, or Pioneer would be a solid last you forever choice.
2girlsdad
I wear a belt above 70% of max, and I wear mine just under the rib cage and loose. I feel that just having it there helps me activate my core since there is something to push against. I used to hurt my back a couple times a year wearing the belt tight since I was artificially tightening my core. Since then, I'm squatting my biggest numbers ever, as well as deadlifts. When I say the belt is loose, I have it where I could wear it all day without a problem. This is just works for me and as kept me injury free for a couple of years now.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
File me under somewhat stupid and very stubborn but I don't squat with a belt at all, regardless of how heavy I go. I used to use one all the time but that's because I had ****ty form. Once I basically reconstructed my entire form after patellar tendonitis, I've never found myself needing one. My form and core strength are exponentially better and I have found that I just don't need it.

I'm sure that will bite me at some point but so far so good and my working sets are in the 500s

Edit to add: I'm not saying you shouldn't use a belt or that one isn't needed, they absolutely have their place. More or less pointing out that it's not required to use after x amount of plates.
bigtruckguy3500
I agree with most others. Don't become used to the belt for every lift. Just use it for that last set if you want to lift a few extra pounds, or squeeze out one more rep. I've heard some say recently that it doesn't affect core strength, but I feel as though it does. I also lift to be able to use my strength in life, and I'm almost never going to have a belt handy when I need it for every day random stuff.

I don't have my own belt, only use what they have at the gym, which is a pretty low quality belt. Does an ok job. I'm also no longer trying to lift massive numbers (not that I ever could lift massive numbers in the first place).
Sea Speed
AG
I don't like to go over 225 without a belt because of previous and ongoing disc issues. Hell, my back Dr would probably tell me not to even go to 225, but what does he know?
Ezra Brooks
AG
Big fan of my Pioneer belt.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.