Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Build me a bike computer setup please

1,003 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by TurboVelo
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting my first "good bike". Currently using Strava on my phone to track rides. If you could build a system from scratch, what would you do? Don't need top-end stuff (I'm not going to be racing or anything), but don't need super budget either.

Thanks!
lazuras_dc
AG
Cateye was a really nice brand when I was into cycling. Got the one that showed cadence. A little mor PIA to setup but I liked having that info.
BQ2001
AG
what are you hoping to get out of a bike computer? Whenever I rode, I just used my Garmin to track distance, heart rate, power and all that. Do you ride where you need turn by turn navigation? To me, that would be the only reason to use one as a casual rider. If you are riding familiar routes I'd have a hard time splurging for that if you already have a watch that will pair with all your accessories/sensors. Once you are done with the ride, it uploads to Strave with all the data to look at.
Ragoo
AG
Do you have a power meter? Just want something GPS?

I like the garmin eco space so I have an edge 840.
dave99ag
AG
I've been happy with my Garmin Edge 530. Color screen with as many data fields you can throw at it. Mine doesn't have a touch screen, but I'm fine with old school buttons.

The mapping is helpful for gravel routes otherwise I never use the mapping feature.

Something to consider is a HR strap and what head units it's compatible with. Even if you get a bike with a power meter, having HR is a nice data point.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Fair question. Route, speed, cadence would be my main focus. I don't think I need dynamic routing; 90% of my rides are on the trails in Dallas.
wcb
AG
As others have posted I'd look at the Garmin 540 / 840 series.

Other things I would consider are a heart rate strap and maybe a power meter. HR will be good for just base line tracking, PM if you're looking to improve. A PM alone won't make you faster, but is one of the best tools to do so if used correctly for training.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
A lot of head units can do gps speed & distance, personally, I'm not a fan. I still like having a hub based speed/distance connected to the head unit. I still have a super basic Edge 500, with the Garmin speed sensor 2 on the hub. My power meter gives me cadence. My HR strap connects (or I can transmit HR from my watch).
htxag09
AG
Garmin edge series. Just look and compare the models online.

From there you can add a HR strap, power meters, cameras, rear radar detection, etc.
GeorgiAg
AG
Go big or go home!

Kidding aside, just pick up a used Garmin.
Random Ag
AG
Coros just released a bike computer. Their watch is great (less expensive than a Garmin but very highly rated).
dave99ag
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Go big or go home!

Kidding aside, just pick up a used Garmin.

That's gotta be DC Rainmaker. The best place for reviews of all things bike tech.
GeorgiAg
AG
I think that's where the pic was from. Yeah, great reviews, OP - DC Rainmaker.
Ol Jock 99
AG

TurboVelo
AG
I'm a Garmin homer. In addition to the built-in features, Garmin also allows outside applications for things like my Notio, Xert, and other sensors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.