Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Pneumonia and triathlon training

756 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bigtruckguy3500
SeenNotHeard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have been training for an Ironman 70.3 since late Feb. The race is early Oct.

Over the weekend I got my butt KICKED with fever, chills, cough, etc. Figured it was Covid but decided to get confirmation and went to the dr today after 4 days of fever. Got diagnosed with Pneumonia. That is a first for me. Dr gave my antibiotics.

Anyone have any experience with what the recovery looks like? How long should I expect to be out? A week? A couple of weeks? The timing SUCKS!
AggieOO
Can't speak for how long you'll be battling it, but I can tell you that even missing a couple of weeks, maybe even three, isn't going to affect your race much. You'll feel sluggish when you resume training but it'll pass fairly quickly. You still have over 2 months of training left. You'll be fine, despite how much it sucks.

I'm not a doctor but you can likely doing something during your recovery, even if it's just soft pedaling on the trainer.
htxag09
AG
Seems like your case was pretty mild....

I had pneumonia deep into training for a marathon several years ago (if remembering correctly my long run was 18 miles before coming down with it). My case put me in the ICU for almost a week.

It was about a month after being released from the hospital before I could run a mile without needing a break.
SeenNotHeard
AG
I am praying no hospitalization is in my future. But I thought the fever/chills sucked…apparently that was just the appetizer.

My cough has progressed rapidly and the shortness of breath is no joke. Those are all new within the last 12-18 hours.
Ragoo
AG
A) hope you feel better soon
B) don't worry about training, rest and get better
C) it may be slow coming back out of the sickness and into training.
D) youve got a decent base so even if you are out 2 more weeks you should be able to get to a point where finishing isn't in doubt.
E). Waco 70.3? I will be there for the October 6 race. Staying at the courtyard by transition. Hope to see you there and meet you.
SeenNotHeard
AG
It is Waco. First ever triathlon. So you might have to stick around to see the DFL guy crossing the line to see me.

We got an airbnb with the in-laws. But would love to meet you.
htxag09
AG
SeenNotHeard said:

I am praying no hospitalization is in my future. But I thought the fever/chills sucked…apparently that was just the appetizer.

My cough has progressed rapidly and the shortness of breath is no joke. Those are all new within the last 12-18 hours.
I'd rest and follow doctor's orders.....

Issue with mine, I think, was that it hit me right before hurricane Harvey. I was like ok, I'll load up on over the counter meds, rest up, and be done with this cold when this storm passes. It got worse and I couldn't do anything about it. Had a teledoc visit but couldn't get meds cause all pharmacies were closed. When they finally opened it had progressed too far so I was taken straight to the ICU.
springagg
I'm in the same boat --minus training for anything. Had fever for few days and at some point got the chills/shivers for almost 30 min straight and went to the hospital to get checked out. Covid, flu all negative. Said is was Pneumonia and given antibiotics. Luckily so far today no fever and seem to be getting better. Coughing up some nasty stuff but breathing etc seem to all be fine. I have been taking advil/tylenol as well as the antibiotics of course. I would take it easy like many others have said. You will bounce right back into training I'm sure.
agcivengineer
AG
I'm just getting over strep throat. For about 1 week, I had zero interest in training. I'm doing a 200 mi bike race in early September. While this set me back, in conjunction with the hurricane, it will all come back soon. Don't worry about it. You will recover and get back to normal.

My return to training has been up and down. I did a decently easy 70 mi ride on Sat, and followed it up on Monday with a low intensity ride. Then Wednesday I failed by trainer ride as I had something attack me on Tuesday. Today I came back and completed a hard vo2 max workout. I think I'm getting back to normal and hope to have a good long ride sat.

My advice....don't worry, let your body recover, start back slowly and you'll be back in no time.
bigtruckguy3500
What antibiotics are you on? It can take 48 hours to stop fevering. It can also take weeks to get all the pus out of your lungs. Did the doc say which part of your lungs the pneumonia is in, and how big it is?

Before antibiotics, less than 100 years ago, pneumonia had a super high mortality rate. Don't be afraid to take it easy a week or three, and let your body's immune system focus on just healing the lungs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.