Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

VO2 Max article

1,481 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 94chem
FTACo88-FDT24dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://bodyhealth.com/blogs/news/raising-vo2-max-for-increased-performance
Capitol Ag
AG
Interesting article. Thank you for sharing.

Here is something related, that I found interesting.

Why a Higher VO2 Max Isn't Always Better

Not to refute the article you posted, as most of us could totally benefit from increasing our VO2 Max. This article applies mostly to extreme/high level endurance athletes and not most of us running 5-10Ks or the occasional marathon. But still very interesting to know there could be a tradeoff between getting a higher VO2 Max and endurance sport performance. Hell, I only train with weights right now. So, while I used to do HIIT 2X a week, I've found that it's better for my training not to do that for recovery and given my goals. So, hesitate to even know what my VO2 Max is now. I do feel the importance of increasing VO2 Max depends on one's fitness goals. Does one really even need to do VO Max training, for instance, if they train hard multiple times a week doing hypertrophy training? Do the benefits of that type of training and lifestyle (sleep, eating very well all while being natty, so no pharma) give one equally good health as a more endurance focused trainee who trains for a higher VO2 Max. And how does one use progression with their HIIT workouts to ensure the training is actually increasing VO2Max?
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Interesting article. Thank you for sharing.

Here is something related, that I found interesting.

Why a Higher VO2 Max Isn't Always Better

Not to refute the article you posted, as most of us could totally benefit from increasing our VO2 Max. This article applies mostly to extreme/high level endurance athletes and not most of us running 5-10Ks or the occasional marathon. But still very interesting to know there could be a tradeoff between getting a higher VO2 Max and endurance sport performance. Hell, I only train with weights right now. So, while I used to do HIIT 2X a week, I've found that it's better for my training not to do that for recovery and given my goals. So, hesitate to even know what my VO2 Max is now. I do feel the importance of increasing VO2 Max depends on one's fitness goals. Does one really even need to do VO Max training, for instance, if they train hard multiple times a week doing hypertrophy training? Do the benefits of that type of training and lifestyle (sleep, eating very well all while being natty, so no pharma) give one equally good health as a more endurance focused trainee who trains for a higher VO2 Max. And how does one use progression with their HIIT workouts to ensure the training is actually increasing VO2Max?
Interesting. Thanks.

I am a male, 58 with a recently diagnosed osteoarthritic left ankle so sadly my running days are behind me. I'm limited to Tough Mudder/Spartan 10Ks and an occasional 5K. I've been using a Morpheus device to do zone based training on a stairclimber and also while rucking 4-6. miles with a 40lb vest with intermittent jogging for .25 mile Also do some biking with the 40lb vest and occasional HIIT of the Tabata type (not with the vest).

My HRV is consistently in the upper 70s-low 80s range as long as I get 6-7 hours of sleep. From what I've seen, that HRV is above average for someone my age. I have also noticed that it's harder and harder to get my heart rate up into the "red zone" for extended periods unless I go for at least 45 minutes and use the weighted vest or go for at least 45 minutes on the stairclimber. All that to say I have never had my VO2 max clinically tested, but my fitness level based on my HRV has definitely improved since I started zone based training with the Morpheus. I suspect my VO2 max has also increased significantly.

Just my $0.02.
BigOil
AG
Attia has posted a lot on studies showing the higher the vo2max, the lower the risk of all cause mortality.

I track mine via garmin watch and train to seek to increase it to the good/excellent percentiles for my age demo
94chem
My Garmin loved 400 repeats with standing rest more than anything. It hates distance running in heat or at elevation. I tricked it into giving me a 55 a while back, but now it's 49 or 50.

One think I've noticed that has changed since I started transitioning from marathons to sprinting, my sustained heart rate at max effort during distance runs has increased, and Garmin has moved my zones up. I used to peak at around 180, more like 175. But I was sustained at 188 on a 4 mile race a few weeks ago.

Runners seem to be proud of both how low they can keep their HR on long runs, but how high you can go when you really need it seems to also matter. That must be related to VO2 max somehow.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
94chem said:

My Garmin loved 400 repeats with standing rest more than anything. It hates distance running in heat or at elevation. I tricked it into giving me a 55 a while back, but now it's 49 or 50.

One think I've noticed that has changed since I started transitioning from marathons to sprinting, my sustained heart rate at max effort during distance runs has increased, and Garmin has moved my zones up. I used to peak at around 180, more like 175. But I was sustained at 188 on a 4 mile race a few weeks ago.

Runners seem to be proud of both how low they can keep their HR on long runs, but how high you can go when you really need it seems to also matter. That must be related to VO2 max somehow.

I think that is practically the definition of VO2 max.
94chem
FTACo88-FDT24dad said:

94chem said:

I think that is practically the definition of VO2 max.

1) Moving the redline higher, 2) being able to stay at the redline longer, and 3) taking longer to get to the redline all seem to matter.

For the 5K, it seems that 1) and 2) matter most. For marathons, it's mostly 3). For half marathons, it's 2) and 3).

If you're an Olympic marathoner, I suppose it's all 3.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
For the 400, 800, and 1600, it's just fly and die. I don't think my Garmin knows what I'm doing before the race is over.
94chem,
ptothemo
AG
What is your definition of redline? Aerobic threshold, lactate threshold, max heart rate, or something else?
94chem
ptothemo said:

What is your definition of redline? Aerobic threshold, lactate threshold, max heart rate, or something else?

Max heart rate for me. Basically it's when I know I can't go more than another half mile or so at that heart rate. When I was distance training, it was 175 - 180. Now in T&F, it seems more like 185 - 190. I can't do my 5K - 10K PR any more, but I've got my 400 time down to 1:04. But, when I ran a 4 mile race a few weeks ago, I red-lined at 188. So, higher max heart rate, but not as good of a distance runner.
94chem,
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.