Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Did a modified Murph this morning

3,151 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by bert harbinson
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those who don't know:

1 mile run
100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 squats
1 mile run

All while wearing a 20 lb weight vest.

Modifications for my old self:

No pull up bar, and no way I can do 100 unassisted pull ups, so a combo of other arm stuff like high pulls, curls, tricep extensions that totaled 100.

No damn weight vest.

I'm almost 62, so quite the ball buster as it was. That second mile was right at 10 minutes and I almost hurled. But right at 50 minutes.

Mad props to those of you who can do this monster this coming weekend.
wcb
ttha_aggie_09
AG
So how do normal people split this? Surely you're mixing in pull ups, squats, and pushups and not trying to knock out all 100 pull ups consecutively, right?

Is it run a mile, 10 pull ups, 20 squats, 20 push ups, repeat until finished?

I've always heard of these and this sounds like a fun challenge that the mile runs would most certainly damn near kill me if I really tried for time.
fc2112
If splitting, 10/20/30 is the normal. Obviously, 20/40/60 is tougher.
P.U.T.U
AG
I have always done the 10/20/30 split.
arrow
AG
I grind out the full Murph in order. One key for me has been using 20 sets so I don't tire out too quickly. So 20 sets of 5 pull-ups, 20 sets of 10 push-ups, 20 sets of 15 squats. The last mile is always a bear.

There's a 20 minute difference in my best time and worst time. Those little breaks add up!
Matsui
AG
I'd like to
Do this but don't have access to pull ups. I've got dumbbells up to 40lb each. What would you substitute?

And since don't have a weighted vest can I just front rack 2 10lb dumbbells for the squats ?
aggie_wes
AG
Trying this one next week for the first time. Splitting it up with my wife so we'll each run but split up the rest.
MouthBQ98
AG
I've done it without and with the vest, and straight through standard and broken up into sets.

I prefer 5-10-15 "Cindy" style when wearing a vest, but U have done it straight through with a vest and the 100 pull-ups take Forever. The push-ups are not much better by the time you are past the first hundred or so.

LOYAL AG
AG
Did it once and tried once more but crapped out around 70% the second time. It's a bear and with it being a month after MS150 it's a lot of conflicting training at basically the same time. Trying to manage several weeks of riding 200 miles in the same week you're doing pull ups and push ups and squats and running was ultimately more than I could handle so after one successful Murph I decided it wasn't for me. Hell of a workout though.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
That would be brutal without the weight vest.

Before I got an arthritic left ankle, I used to do something I named a Tuff Tater:

4 miles

Before each mile do:
30 pushups
10 Spartan burpees
10 squats

Doing that midday in August was just about enough to kill an old fart like me (58 years old)

No way to add the pullups where I live.

Now with the arthritic ankle, I have modified it to be a ruck/run combo:

5 miles w/ 40lb vest.

Before each mile do:

10 pushups
10 squats

Then jog the last .3 of each mile.

My ankle can tolerate it and it spikes the crap out of my heartrate. My Morpheus showed me up to almost 200 at peak.

I'm impressed by anyone who can do that many pullups in a single session. I think I could maybe manage 60. Amazing.
13B
Matsui said:

I'd like to
Do this but don't have access to pull ups. I've got dumbbells up to 40lb each. What would you substitute?

And since don't have a weighted vest can I just front rack 2 10lb dumbbells for the squats ?
Many CrossFit gyms offer up their gym for Murph to the public (Community WOD style). If in the BCS area you can check with CrossFit Obey (they offer a free class it could count as that if it isn't open for non-members) and/or College Station CrossFit/Boomfit. You will probably have to sign a waiver. It's kind of fun to do it with others (misery loves company).
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Do CrossFit gyms actually do a pull up on the Murph or do they kip? Serious question, genuinely curious.
13B
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Do CrossFit gyms actually do a pull up on the Murph or do they kip? Serious question, genuinely curious.
It really depends on the individual and their skill level/strength/goal. I've seen people do strict, kipping and butterfly (I personally do strict because I'm not good at the others). Everything is scalable, some do banded pull ups, jumping pull ups, ring rows, you name it. Strict push ups, hand release and even knee push ups. Some people scale the number of reps and/or distance on the run. Again, pretty much up to the individual and their goals. I personally wouldn't do kipping or butterfly until I was able to do a large number of strict pull ups (it may look like cheating but it uses a whole other group of muscles and body parts and is not easy not to mention doing damage to your body). CrossFit gyms have varied clientele with varied abilities so there are usually several options to a workout. For Murph and many of the other workouts it is more about the message and community than adhering to a strict guideline. The Open, BCS Classic, The CrossFit Games have more strict guidelines but even they have scalable divisions (age, sex, ability).

TLDR: You can do whatever form pull ups you desire.
AgEng06
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I've done it without and with the vest, and straight through standard and broken up into sets.

I prefer 5-10-15 "Cindy" style when wearing a vest, but U have done it straight through with a vest and the 100 pull-ups take Forever. The push-ups are not much better by the time you are past the first hundred or so.

This. I've done it multiple ways, but 20 rounds of Cindy has been the most efficient.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Gotcha. Yeah, I am not trying to make this an anti-crossfit deal I was just genuinely curious because a kip is NOT a pull up. If the murph calls for a pull up and you're over there struggling with strict form while someone next to you knocks out their 100 pull ups by doing kips in 3 sets, I think that is BS
AgEng06
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Gotcha. Yeah, I am not trying to make this an anti-crossfit deal I was just genuinely curious because a kip is NOT a pull up. If the murph calls for a pull up and you're over there struggling with strict form while someone next to you knocks out their 100 pull ups by doing kips in 3 sets, I think that is BS

Yeah, I agree with 13B. For most CF gyms, doing Murph is more about the message and community, so participants are encouraged to scale the workouts to their skill level.

Of course, you then end up with the guy that did banded pullups, knee pushups, and 3/4 air squats trying to compare his time with yours... so there's that
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I am entirely too competitive and not sure how well I would handle that
MouthBQ98
AG
The standard isn't for strict pull-ups. It's for whatever goes from arms extended to chin over the bar with pronated grip.

Yes, the structvpullup is harder on your lats and shoulders and delts but does zero work on your back and core. A kip or butterfly pullup is a somewhat different type of work but physics suggests the net total work done is exactly the same: same mass to same height against same gravitational pull. You use different muscle groups in different ways to do it. Yes, easier on the muscle groups used for the strict/deadhang pullup but adds in core muscle groups that otherwise are unused and resting with a dead hang.

Pick what works best for you. It's about self development.
emando2000
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Yes you are, it's why asked the question then capitalized "not". You knew the answer before you even asked. At least be honest.

And I don't know anyone that knocks out 100 pullups in 3 sets.
fc2112
The only people who should be comparing times are the purists. I guess the Cindys could compare to each other. And the only guys who can knock it out Michael Patrick Murphy style are usually SEALS and Rangers.

My niece's husband was a Ranger and I went with him to do a Murph one time right after he got out. The dude was a freaking machine. Took like 45 minutes and he was griping about how "fat" he'd gotten. Geez.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
emando2000 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Yes you are, it's why asked the question then capitalized "not". You knew the answer before you even asked. At least be honest.

Sigh...... no I did not know the answer, hence the question.

The murph calls for 100 pull ups, right? Is a kip a pull up, yes or no?

I didn't bring up crossfit on this post but when it was brought up, I was genuinely curious, because I have never done the murph before, if people substituted pull ups with kips. I know people do rows with rings and other variations to get through this workout because it is tough. Not many people can do 10 consecutive pull ups...

If you're substituting a strict form pull up for a kip because you cannot execute all 100 in strict form, cool. If you're using a kip because it takes substantially less effort and can be knocked out in much less time, I think that is BS and takes away from the point of the work out.

Regarding the 100 pull ups comment - if you read my comment again - I was referring to someone kipping for 100 reps and calling that their 100 pull ups. if you can knock out 33 pull ups in a row and do it for another 2 consecutive sets, that is insanely impressive.
MouthBQ98
AG
In crossfit workouts, unless the workout specified strict or deadhang pull-ups, it is presumed kips and/or butterflies are permitted as long as those also are done to the standard. Yes, they're more of a gymnastic move than a pure strength move but given the goal is functional fitness, it's been allowed for a long time. It makes it easier for more people to participate.
emando2000
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

emando2000 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Sigh...... no I did not know the answer, hence the question.
We sigh when we see the kip comments. And you made it a point to let us know that you frown upon kipping pullups.

The murph calls for 100 pull ups, right? Is a kip a pull up, yes or no?
No, it's a kipping pullup is a variation of a pullup. CrossFit uses a methodology that practices force times distance divided by time. Hence, the kip. If you see someone doing 10 strict pushups as fast as they can, they're most likely going to unknowingly kip.

I didn't bring up crossfit on this post but when it was brought up, I was genuinely curious, because I have never done the murph before, if people substituted pull ups with kips. I know people do rows with rings and other variations to get through this workout because it is tough. Not many people can do 10 consecutive pull ups...
So, you knew that people do ring rows because the workout is tough and you're ok with it but go out of your way to make the distinction that a kipping pullup is NOT a pullup? Ok man.

If you're substituting a strict form pull up for a kip because you cannot execute all 100 in strict form, cool. If you're using a kip because it takes substantially less effort and can be knocked out in much less time, I think that is BS and takes away from the point of the work out.
The point of the workout??? What do you mean exactly?
Pain and suffering the point? Then I challenge you to do it as fast as you can?
Not true to form? Then make comments on how ring rows are NOT real pullups.

Regarding the 100 pull ups comment - if you read my comment again - I was referring to someone kipping for 100 reps and calling that their 100 pull ups. if you can knock out 33 pull ups in a row and do it for another 2 consecutive sets, that is insanely impressive.
Again, your comment frowns upon the kip. Get over it. Do kipping pullups and get back to me.
You do you but don't expect everyone to fall in line with your kip comments. You put it out there.

Who do you think made the Murph challenge what it is today? Firefighters? Trainers? No, CrossFit did. CrossFit pays tribute to our fallen and Murph probably wouldn't be a thing if most CrossFit locations didn't make it an annual Memorial Day workout.

Murph is my favorite CrossFit workout. Why? It's challenging it means something to me. I'm pro military and have lost friends serving and many post military as they struggled in life for reasons we will never understand. Many people celebrate Memorial Day, but I do what I can to get as many people as possible together for this workout in remembrance of those that sacrificed their lives for our country.
MouthBQ98
AG
Trust me, any CrossFit person would have big respect for someone who could do the whole Murph WOD with strict pull-ups. I've seen it done by a couple of guys and there were big ripped fit dudes and it was still a struggle towards the end. That's a whole extra level of difficulty. By the book, anything that gets your chin above the bar from a pronated hang counts.
MouthBQ98
AG
Back to the OP, there's not a great substitute for the pullup without a pullup bar unless you have access to a lat pull-down machine you can set to simulate your body weight with the same motion.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Look man, not everyone is out to get crossfit. I have never done a murph... I have several buddies that are former military guys that do this every year. I have never seen it done in person. I understand why people do it and it is meant to be a very difficult/challenging.

Forgive me if I read the workout and see 100 pull ups, which is by far the hardest thing listed on the Murph, and go "damn that seems really hard". Later on when discussion progressed on this thread about crossfit, the light bulb went off that these aren't strict pull ups, they're likely kips, making it much easier to accomplish for most people.

Yes, I was aware that people do things like ring pull ups or band assisted because the guys I know that have wives that do this, all do that. It has never occurred to me that MOST people are actually just doing a modified pull up with a kip or whatever. That doesn't mean this is now suddenly the easiest thing in the world because its a kip it just changes my perception on what the most difficult part of the workout is, which is likely less strength and more endurance to complete the circuit.

emando2000
AG
Come do it with me and a few people on Monday.

If anyone is in the Austin area and wants to do it you're all welcome. We have 2 opportunities.
Saturday at 10 AM
Monday at 10 AM
Voodoo CrossFit 512

I'm doing it Monday because I have to work on Saturday.
13B
Definitely takes both strength and endurance. My advice? Just go do it. Go with friends or make new ones. Don't worry about competing with anyone but yourself. I guarantee you (with 99% confidence), without knowing anything about you and without malice, there will be someone there that will absolutely smoke you. Conversely, I am equally certain that you will be able to smoke someone else. That is not what it is about, don't get hung up on what others are doing. Literally, you do you. Give it a chance, you might really enjoy yourself and at the very least be able to speak to it from legit experience.

CrossFitters are our own worst enemy. We enjoy it so much we are kinda like a mix between a born again Christian and an Insurance Sales Rep. We love it, we see the benefits and want to share it with everyone. Unfortunately, it is expensive and people see others doing CrossFit type things in normal gyms and gain a negative view because they are being obnoxious in a gym not meant for that type stuff. Not to mention speaking jargon specific to the community instead of plain speak. Still, I encourage you try it and Murph is a great snapshot of the community.

Ironically, I find strict pull ups easier. Like Mouth said, kipping and butterfly take a whole other skill and strength that I just don't have (at least not right now).
arrow
AG
I'm not a crossfit guy, but I do enjoy this workout. In crossfit games I saw on TV years ago, they were almost all kipping.

I do strict pull-ups because of my equipment. I'm not sure my rack is stable enough for kipping. I agree strict will likely take longer. But, I think kipping is a more difficult cardio move than a strict pull-up. So coming off the weighted first mile, kipping can suck your energy just as fast or faster than strict.

I aim for sub 10 minutes for my 20 sets of 5 (weighted). This would be a good day. On a bad day, it's likely 12 minutes. Normally around 70-75 reps, my sets will have to go to 3. I've never trained specifically for the workout, but it would be interesting to see how low I could go with more prep.

ETA: I'm not anti-crossfit at all. I just love to workout on the farm with my Labrador pacers!
13B
I understand why people poop on CrossFit. I understand why they think certain movements are cheats. I didn't have a favorable view of it until I gave it a try and met so many wonderful folks and enjoyed the workouts. I also understand being defensive of it for the same reasons I love it. In my view, the best we can do is be good representatives of the community and educate who we can and include as many as possible. I believe anyone that actually does 100 of anything, much less kipping or butterfly pull ups will quickly realize the effort it takes. Especially when you throw a time cap in there. Heck, knee push ups sounds easy until you do 200 in a row and with good form.
bert harbinson
AG
I've done this a couple of times, always modified. No weighted vest, broken up into 10-20-30, and a parallel grip on the pull-ups (because a) I have that option, and b) no workout challenge is worth the strain or injuries on my old shoulders).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.