Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Thoughts on Garmin Fenix 7 vs Epix ?

1,129 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by aggiespartan
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone use either of these wearables? I still have a Fenix 5X, but it's about worn out and the sensors aren't very accurate anymore. Looking to get either a Fenix 7X Pro or possibly the Epix. I love the long battery life of the Fenix series so would need convincing that a better screen is worth the trade off.
aggiespartan
AG
I have the Epix Pro 2 and love it. The screen is nice. I've run a slower 100k with it and still had like 42% battery left.
aggie4231
AG
Have the 7. Had the 3hr since 2016, but battery life was declining and the hr sensor wasn't always reading, so upgraded.

Really like the 7, especially the battery life and solar charging (which is welcomed coming from the world of Apple Watch charging). I haven't even gotten full into use of all the functions yet.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Also have an Epix pro 2 47mm and love it. It's less battery life, but it's enough to get the job done on even the longest races.

I just couldn't stand the look of the MIPS display of a Fnix vs the AMOLED display of an Epix. That is definitively what sold me and is really the biggest difference between the two models.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cromagnum
AG
Good info. I never was bothered by the display on my 5x as it was super easy to see in bright conditions, and when it's dark all I had to do was flick my wrist or push the backlight button. I'm assuming both new ones have comparable smart watch features?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I'm pretty sure they are essentially identical outside of battery life and screen. If you're fine with your screen and don't see a big deal in AMOLED vs MIPS, then there is no reason to pay more for an Epix.

You can look on https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator for a more thorough comparison, though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
I had a fenix 5 and upgraded last year to the MARQ 2... can't comment on the epix or 7, but absolutely love the M2
Cromagnum
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

I had a fenix 5 and upgraded last year to the MARQ 2... can't comment on the epix or 7, but absolutely love the M2

Are the Marq versions just nicer aesthetic versions of the Epix ones for the most part?

For Amoled versions, any issue with burn in?
GeorgiAg
AG
I had a forerunner, then got a Fenix 5. Now I have a Fenix 7X. I love it. Measures more metrics than you could want or need. Battery life is really good. It will last for weeks without a charge. I have the charger in my bathroom. I put it on the charger when I wake up and put it back on when I'm done showering. It always stays at full charge.

I like how it syncs with Spotify and I can store a playlist on the watch. That way, I don't have to have my phone for Bluetooth music.

My favorite feature is a flashlight. I'm over 50, so I frequently get up in the middle of the night for the bathroom or a glass of water.

It also measures at night. When I wake up each day, it tells me the quality of my sleep, heart rate variability, etc...

When I did 60 days no alcohol, the watch knew. My sleeps were so much better quality.
Ag92NGranbury
AG

very similar watches... but some differences
Ag92NGranbury
AG
i finally got the 7 day sleep badge after i got sick and had to stay in bed a few days... first time ever

if i have a glass of wine at night... my sleep score goes down by 10-15; two glasses and down about 20-30... it is crazy how much even a little alcohol affects my sleep patterns... love this feature of the watch and putting better habits in motion... lots of testing on my part as well
aggiespartan
AG
The Epix does all of this.

I haven't had any issues with burn in on the screen. I have it set so that it only turns on when I flip my wrist up though. Haven't had any issues with it.

Had I gotten a Fenix, I would have gotten the S version. When I compared them, the middle size Epix had the same battery life as the S Fenix, so I didn't feel too bad about the battery life.
gd28
AG
About a year ago I switched from the Fenix to the Epix and I have zero regrets. The battery life is fine, I use the gps 1-2 hours/day on average and maybe charge once or twice a week. When I held the two screens up next to each other it made my decision a no brainer. The Epix screen is very, very noticeably better than the Fenix. Other than that they are the exact same watch and have the exact same functionality.
htxag09
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I had a forerunner, then got a Fenix 5. Now I have a Fenix 7X. I love it. Measures more metrics than you could want or need. Battery life is really good. It will last for weeks without a charge. I have the charger in my bathroom. I put it on the charger when I wake up and put it back on when I'm done showering. It always stays at full charge.

I like how it syncs with Spotify and I can store a playlist on the watch. That way, I don't have to have my phone for Bluetooth music.

My favorite feature is a flashlight. I'm over 50, so I frequently get up in the middle of the night for the bathroom or a glass of water.

It also measures at night. When I wake up each day, it tells me the quality of my sleep, heart rate variability, etc...

When I did 60 days no alcohol, the watch knew. My sleeps were so much better quality.
Similar to the above post...the Forerunners do all this as well. I don't even have the newest models (I have a 945) and it does just about all of this.

The only thing it doesn't do is the flashlight and battery life isn't quite as good, but mine is over 4.5 years old and will still last over a week with doing GPS workouts every day.
GeorgiAg
AG
I use the flashlight every day. It's a game changer. I had no idea that would be so handy. I can't imagine not having that on my wrist now.
BigOil
AG
I've had the fenix 5 and 6, and recently was ready to upgrade… wound up sticking with the fenix line and got the 7 now after looking atvv vo the other garmin Iines.

Only heartburn I have with fenix is lack of the nice bright screens, but I think the features I wanted was worth the tradeoff.
Cromagnum
AG
For those with AMOLED versions, is it possible to have the watch always on display dimmed until you gesture it, and then it brightens? Or does the watch turn the screen off after a fixed time regardless?
aggiespartan
AG
Cromagnum said:

For those with AMOLED versions, is it possible to have the watch always on display dimmed until you gesture it, and then it brightens? Or does the watch turn the screen off after a fixed time regardless?
It's off until a gesture. You can set it to be on all the time, but I'm not sure why anybody would need it on all the time.

You can also set it to have a night time mode. Same gesture to turn on, but the light is red, which is a lot easier on the eyes, and won't wake you up if it unintentionally turns on.
Cromagnum
AG
Good to know. I was just reading with the always on display enabled, the battery life tanks, so I was not sure what people's real world experience is with that feature. I'm likely gonna get the Fenix and have most of the doodads besides GPS running, and trying to see if I even care about a prettier screen.

For my old watch, I have a 5X but been thinking this next one I may downsize to the midsized model.
aggiespartan
AG
I just did a 32 hour 100 miler with the course map uploaded, and it gave me the course turns on the screen with a beep and a buzz when they came up. 7% left on my epix pro 2. I have the middle size.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.