Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Protein-rich snacks with relatively low calories

5,184 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by Tailgate88
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found a new favorite:

2 servings of Catalina Crunch
1 serving of Premier Protein chocolate shake to serve as the milk

52g of protein
380 calories
1g of sugar
<30g carbs
Something like 20g of fiber

What do you like?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Been meaning to ask this same question. I need some ideas myself.

The two items I use the most frequently with good ratios of calories to protein is plain greek non-fat yogurt (110 cal, 18g protein) and Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein (35 cal, 9g protein). Will usually use the yogurt in smoothies and the Collagen in a pre-bedtime drink with Magnesium powder.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Also, not necessarily a "snack" but could be...can of tuna is 110 calories and 27g protein. I will often eat a tuna melt on days I lift.
Ragoo
AG
***e plain Greek yogurt with vanilla extract
Sprinkle some granola for a few carbs and crunch
TXTransplant
Greek (actually Icelandic or Skyr) yogurt with berries and a little stevia is my go-to. I eat this every day.

Other good options:
a couple of ounces of turkey or a couple slices prosciutto with a low fat mozzarella cheese stick
Pistachios
Cold brew with 1 cup mootopia skim milk; froth about 1/4 cup of the mootopia to make cold foam to put on top (I sweeten with a little bit of sugar free vanilla syrup)
Low fat cottage cheese (I recently seasoned this with the dill pickle seasoning from Trader Joe's and it was SO good); you can also eat this like a "dip" if you need something crunchy with it
Natural Endurance protein chips (the nacho is by far the best, but the original/herb are good, too) with a little tzatziki dip or hummus
Fulfill salted caramel protein bars
I recently found Outer Aisle cauliflower sandwich thins (I've only seen them at Costco); they toast up ok in the oven and are good with a slice of low fat cheese (melted) or a dollop of cottage cheese, avocado, and some crispy prosciutto* (downside is, they got moldy really fast)

*crispy prosciutto - bake strips of prosciutto in the oven at 425* until they are as crispy as you like them; I use this in place of bacon all the time

These have been my go-tos lately. I haven't tried any of the high protein/low sugar cereals.

bagger05
AG
In a pinch I will run to WalMart and go to the deli section and pick up a container of pulled rotisserie chicken breast.

It has 18 g of protein per 100 kcal.
CC09LawAg
Mentioned on another thread, but I've been getting the Prasek's products from HEB. I get the sticks, not the jerky. It's anywhere from 45 to 70g of protein and really low fat. And it isn't a grind chewing it up like jerky normally is.

Greek yogurt as mentioned here is a good one. I also just cook a pound of ground beef and mix half of it with white rice for a work afternoon snack.

HEB also has some meat/cheese/cracker premade things in the MealSimple area that are like 55g of protein. That one is not really a low calorie option.
aggiegolfer03
AG
In the realm of stuff that just "get you by" I eat quest protein bars 40ish % protein), quest and legendary foods chips (both these are actually like 50% cals from protein, not bad), and legendary food pastries and sweet rolls (40% protein).

The sweet rolls and pastries won't be for everyone, but I actually like stale cinnamon rolls, so maybe I'm just weird like that. The "chemical" taste doesn't bother me because I'm expecting the compromise on sweeteners. Not a product I expect a normal person to really like, but if you're used to protein bars, they're worth a try.

The quest chips taste and texture are really close to normal chips. The legendary foods popped chips are more like pork rinds in flavor/texture.
Tailgate88
AG
Siggi's plain yogurt with chocolate protein powder is my go to but I saw this in FB the other day and might try it.

True Anomaly
AG
aggiegolfer03 said:

In the realm of stuff that just "get you by" I eat quest protein bars 40ish % protein), quest and legendary foods chips (both these are actually like 50% cals from protein, not bad), and legendary food pastries and sweet rolls (40% protein).

The sweet rolls and pastries won't be for everyone, but I actually like stale cinnamon rolls, so maybe I'm just weird like that. The "chemical" taste doesn't bother me because I'm expecting the compromise on sweeteners. Not a product I expect a normal person to really like, but if you're used to protein bars, they're worth a try.

The quest chips taste and texture are really close to normal chips. The legendary foods popped chips are more like pork rinds in flavor/texture.
Spot on with the chip reviews! Exactly what I noticed too

The Legendary chips are harder to find for me, since Quest has basically blanketed every store with their chips. The quest nacho cheese chips are still greatness
TXTransplant
Funny I hated the Quest nacho cheese (and didn't really like the ranch, either). The only ones I could tolerate were bbq and sometimes sour cream and onion (reminded me of Baked Lays). But I got tired of those after not too long.

I switched over to Popcorners Flex protein chips, which were discontinued. I loved those.

The Natural Endurance chips are the closest to the Popcorners Flex that I've found. And the nacho cheese flavor is vastly superior to any other flavored protein chip period (and I would put them on par with a store brand Doritos knock off). I like both of these brands because they are super crunchy.

The Legendary brand protein chips are now sold at HEB. The ranch flavor is pretty good, but the texture isn't quite as crunchy as natural endurance. They are more like a popcorn or rice chip.

The Wilde protein chips aren't bad. They have some interesting flavors. But they are too high in calories and fat for me to have them as a snack.
13B
shrimp
Max Power
AG
Hard boiled eggs and hot sauce
MouthBQ98
AG
Lean meat. Jerky usually works though it will be high on sodium if that matters.
CC09LawAg
Man, I can go pretty long stretches with the mindset of "food is fuel" and eat a pretty bland/otherwise unappealing diet - but I have never been able to get into hard boiled eggs.
KDubAg
AG
Interesting. I've just been using almond milk. Will have to try this with a shake.
10andBOUNCE
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Man, I can go pretty long stretches with the mindset of "food is fuel" and eat a pretty bland/otherwise unappealing diet - but I have never been able to get into hard boiled eggs.
Was thinking the same. I wish I had the stomach for them. Now, give me a few fried eggs with runny yokes and I'll down those no problem.
CC09LawAg
Yep, I can inhale 6 scrambled eggs in 3 minutes. Hard boiled eggs would take me an hour.
CFTXAG10
AG
I have been doing this for a while and can confirm it is delicious.
I Am A Critic
Greek yogurt with sugar free Jello mixed in is my go-to. I usually use the ***e Total 2%.
Username checks out.
YourFavAggie
AG
Greek yogurt with a scoop (or two) of protein powder. Sometimes I will add some berries or a bit of granola for texture.

Curbs my sweet tooth and packs a good amount of protein
Eyes of texas Crying
10andBOUNCE
AG
Not sure how much a couple shots of expresso is.

I also make a cold brew/over ice with the Ninja coffee machine we have. Mix with a protein shake of choice and its always been pretty solid.
CFTXAG10
AG
YourFavAggie said:

Greek yogurt with a scoop (or two) of protein powder. Sometimes I will add some berries or a bit of granola for texture.

Curbs my sweet tooth and packs a good amount of protein
I hadn't thought of adding protein powder to the yogurt but thats a good idea. I love throwing an oikos triple zero together with fresh berries and a little Sola vanilla almond granola as an after dinner snack
aggiegolfer03
AG
I love me some peanut butter (but the calories add up FAST), and I mix PB2 into vanilla greek yogurt a lot too. I eat it as my "milk" for peanut butter or chocolate crunch kashi (not exactly a low calorie snack when you add those tho).

Vanilla protein powder with vanilla yogurt does well too though.
ABATTBQ87
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Lean meat. Jerky usually works though it will be high on sodium if that matters.
Tillamook Beef Jerky and 2 hard-boiled eggs in the morning

K Bo
AG
just reading this thread is making me fart.

2-3 Prasek beef sticks or a serving of F a g e fat free greek yogurt with a 1/3 tbsp honey are my go-to
94chem
80g of protein in a 15 oz can of chub mackerel. Only 410 calories. Can't wait for lunch!!
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
Max Power said:

Hard boiled eggs and hot sauce
I just dip them in a salt/pepper mix.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
10andBOUNCE
AG
94chem said:

80g of protein in a 15 oz can of chub mackerel. Only 410 calories. Can't wait for lunch!!
94chem
10andBOUNCE said:

94chem said:

Yet people will line up to chug whey protein with sweeteners that came from a chemistry lab.
94chem,
TXTransplant
94chem said:

If you eat this at work, I hope you have your own office!
2girlsdad
It's an upfront cost, but pays off long term. Get a food dehydrater and meat slicer. I can now make beef or chicken jerky, put the amount of salt I want, add no sugar, and it tastes pretty damn good! Prep is easy, and they dehydrate over night.

I do run my outside because it does stink!
Sea Speed
AG
Greek yogurt being nearly 5 bucks a tub has me eating kroger brand carb saver(I think that's the name, I just know the look of it) yogurt that has very similar numbers to Greek yogurt but is like 40% of the cost. Dump in a scoop of protein and some nuts or granola and you've got a great breakfast or snack.
Sea Speed
AG
94chem said:

10andBOUNCE said:

94chem said:

Yet people will line up to chug whey protein with sweeteners that came from a chemistry lab.

Canned meat of any kind is very gross with canned fish being the worst offender.
agz win
AG
Pork rinds
Ratio protein yogurt
Light + Fit strawberry cheesecake greek yogurt
Frozen berries with no sugar Reddi Whip zero sugar whipped toppings
Create with premade pecan pie crusts
Pure Protein bars
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.