Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Healthier pasta alternatives

2,545 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Matsui
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're trying out a high protein calorie restricted diet. We both love pasta but are looking for healthier alternatives. I saw a reel on social media where a guy was meal-prepping a meal and used this pasta:

We made a homemade hamburger helper type dish last night using that pasta. It was ok, but definitely did not pass for the real thing. I'm not expecting it to taste exactly like pasta but this definitely was a lot chewier than what I prefer.

I see a bunch of other alternatives in the pasta aisle that we want to try, but am also happy to Amazon / mail order as well. Give me your great, healthier pasta alternatives!
aggiebrad94
AG
I like the red lentil pasta.
MaxPower
Spaghetti squash
P.U.T.U
AG
Any lentil pasta or pea based pasta will give me superpowers of farts that will end a marriage. As long as my wifes what she is cooking its fair game

Zucchini pasta mixed with regular pasta isn't bad and gives it a different texture.
TXTransplant
I really don't eat pasta anymore (doing the high protein thing), but on the rare occasion I get the urge, edamame pasta is my go-to.

https://www.amazon.com/Explore-Cuisine-Organic-Edamame-Spaghetti/dp/B01H4LBM54

It's actually really good with a cauli-fredo sauce (Alfredo, but with cauliflower mash instead of flour and tons of heavy cream).
aggie_wes
AG
Just skip it. None of them have the texture right. The quinoa one isnt awful, rice pasta is the closest in consistency but that doesn't help you much.

Spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or just skip it.
Tailgate88
AG
aggie_wes said:

Just skip it. None of them have the texture right. The quinoa one isnt awful, rice pasta is the closest in consistency but that doesn't help you much.

Spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or just skip it.
Yeah, we've done tons of zoodles and have tried spaghetti squash but neither of those are as quick and easy on a weeknight as dumping a box of pasta into a pot....
bigtruckguy3500
Aldi used to carry edamame and black bean spaghetti that was pretty good and reasonable taste and texture.

Have you heard of shiratake noodles? They're kinda chewy, but they're virtually zero calorie. Though not filling in my opinion.

Might want to consider a mix of alternative ingredients in stuff you make. 50-50 of regular and an alternative may make it more palatable. Or even a 25-75 mix, depending on how strict you're being.

billyjack2009
I've tried shiratake several times. I just can't get the taste right.
TikkaShooter
You can fix the texture problem by adding in a little bit of "normal" pasta.

Ex: 3/4 chick pea and 1/4 regular

The gluten in the water from the normal pasta will help kill the sticky clammy texture you get with a pot of veg/chick pea pasta
SARATOGA
A ribeye steak ?
Tailgate88
AG
I'll combine a couple suggestions here and try the red lentil next, maybe 2/3 with 1/3 regular pasta and see how that works. Also getting a spaghetti squash, we haven't done that in awhile.

For Zoodles, that is such an ordeal to get them into noodle form that my wife just slices them and gives them a quick saute in olive oil. (Usually with yellow squash). Add a jar of red sauce and you have a dang good simple dish.
Tailgate88
AG
SARATOGA said:

A ribeye steak ?
Yes, we eat a ton of protein, but I need some sides. I can't handle the Jordan Peterson diet.
HECUBUS
AG
I don't know any acceptable pasta substitutes but, cauliflower rice is really good.
SARATOGA
Sides, like next to the ribeye ?

Hmm

Maybe......
1) Shrimp
2) Bacon
3) Ahi Tuna
4) Lobster
5) Redfish
6) Flounder
7) NY Strip
8) Lamb Chops
9) Spare Ribs
10) Lump Crab Meat
11) Mahi

* Was that too fish heavy ? I think people like Steak and Seafood together....the old surf and turf !
MouthBQ98
AG
Spaghetti squash, or cauliflower crumbles. my spaghetti bolognese I usually eat over cauliflower crumbles in a bowl. Sometimes I just use mixed vegetables instead. It's a "filler" for the meat and sauce.
NoahAg
MaxPower said:

Spaghetti squash
This. It is great. And I say this as someone who, left to his own devices, would devour copious amounts of real pasta. Spaghetti squash is really good, easy to make, and versatile.
Tex117
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Spaghetti squash,
Not going to lie, this stuff with a good amount of salt and pepper is pretty damn tasty.
CrawfordAg
AG
Right Rice and risotto is plant based , simple to cook and really good for a healthy side.
Matsui
AG
I'd suggest skipping it. I've tried them all and none will be like the regular pasta texture
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.