Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Thoughts on Wegovy

3,377 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Lost
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok - very physically active - I am running the Cowtown on Sunday. Workout almost every day.

But still about 230 at 5'-11" - which is about 32.0 BMI.

Is it worth asking my doctor about at my physical tomorrow? Would I only be on it for like 10 pounds since my BMI would then be under 30?

I believe there is a doctor here who did Wegovy and am looking for advice.
Bunk Moreland
my doctor tried and couldn't get me on wegovy/ozempic...insurance wouldn't allow it (currently 252 trying to lose weight).

I did get accepted for Phentermine but he said it can only be used temporarily, which is fine. I'm going to try it for the next couple months and hopefully that's enough to assist in getting me kickstarted and I can take it from there.
bam02
AG
There was a lengthy and contentious thread on here about it recently.
KidDoc
AG
fc2112 said:

Ok - very physically active - I am running the Cowtown on Sunday. Workout almost every day.

But still about 230 at 5'-11" - which is about 32.0 BMI.

Is it worth asking my doctor about at my physical tomorrow? Would I only be on it for like 10 pounds since my BMI would then be under 30?

I believe there is a doctor here who did Wegovy and am looking for advice.
Yes ask about it, the efficacy is amazing if you can get insurance to pay for it. The cost is stupid high.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
713nervy
AG
It's worth a shot, no pun intended. I did it for 4 weeks and it was a painful nightmare. BUT, I did a few things wrong and my experience would've likely been very different had I not.

My primary takeaways:

- Make sure your doctor has a LOT of experience with semaglutide or has a resource of someone who does. (Mine did not and offered someone who claimed had been doing it for a long time but had "never seen anyone with side effects like [mine] before" which was infuriating and bull**** bc there are threads and threads of people with them.

- Go very, very, VERY slow on increasing your dose. Play the long game. Don't speed it up just bc you don't feel anything. This is how you make yourself sick. After two weeks, my doctor told me to double to dosage and that caused me to overdose for the next several weeks until I finally figured it out. Giant mistake.

- Not everyone has an extreme reaction like I did. Most people have nausea, which can sometimes be helped by injecting into your thigh instead of your stomach.

There's are a couple of subreddits for semaglutide / Ozempic that I highly recommend.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Semaglutide/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ozempic/
fc2112
So he talked me out of it. Said I'd shown the ability to control weight and the potential side effects weren't worth it. And my health is really good other than the BMI just north of 30.

If I keep gaining weight perhaps someday. I'm guessing my insurance must scrub these pretty hard as the monthly copay is only $50 for it.
KidDoc
AG
fc2112 said:

So he talked me out of it. Said I'd shown the ability to control weight and the potential side effects weren't worth it. And my health is really good other than the BMI just north of 30.

If I keep gaining weight perhaps someday. I'm guessing my insurance must scrub these pretty hard as the monthly copay is only $50 for it.
I was nearly where you are now when I started it back 11/2021. 5'10" 240ish. Lost 40 lbs (BMI 34) and stopped it October 2022. Only side effect I had, aside from weight loss, was upset stomach if I overate.

Best of luck on your battle of the bulge! I've managed to stay in the 205ish range since stopping, so BMI just under 30.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
billyjack2009
I lost 50 lbs on it* and now my insurance wants me to pay $2,500 for 90 days. I'm going to have to learn to go without. The thing it helps me with the most is tolerating hunger without feeling like my sugar is low (which then inspires me to binge).

Edit: *Ozempic, not Wegovy
KidDoc
AG
billyjack2009 said:

I lost 50 lbs on it and now my insurance wants me to pay $2,500 for 90 days. I'm going to have to learn to go without. The thing it helps me with the most is tolerating hunger without feeling like my sugar is low (which then inspires me to binge).
That happened to a coworker who has lost 100 lbs on it. She called our insurance (BCBS) and they would cover mounjaro for her even though she is not a type 2 DM. Just something to try if you want.
billyjack2009
I see my doc at the beginning of April so will see what my options are then.
fc2112
KidDoc said:

fc2112 said:

I was nearly where you are now when I started it back 11/2021. 5'10" 240ish. Lost 40 lbs (BMI 34) and stopped it October 2022. Only side effect I had, aside from weight loss, was upset stomach if I overate.

Best of luck on your battle of the bulge! I've managed to stay in the 205ish range since stopping, so BMI just under 30.
I think what drove me to the "gee how about no" side was level of exercise and overall health. I am quite healthy aside from the extra weight. He's convinced I can control things a little better and achieve more weight loss. Or maybe he just doesn't want to fight with my insurance company.

Regardless, I've lost about 5 pounds since Jan. 1 by just trying to control carbs better, so I'll keep working on it.
The Lost
https://www.wsj.com/articles/ozempic-wegovy-stop-weight-loss-ea925ae1

Sounds like it's really hard to stop
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.