Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2023 Dryuary

13,742 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Mr Mojo Risin
Phat32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Almost there
bam02
AG
I failed out on 1/20. It was a good run for me and I've kept it very limited since.

Congrats to all who made it through.
Bigfootisreal
Last day! Made it but everyone else, wife and son, doing this cheated. Going to try to limit to weekends (F-Sunday) from now on.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I cheated for a work event and am extending this to Friday as penance.
wessimo
AG
Very worthwhile dry Jan for me. I dropped 10 pounds (not solely due to cutting out booze but it definitely helped), slept better, felt more energetic, and spent more intentional time with the family (basketball, board games, etc.).
Todd 02
AG
Went dry on alcohol and sugar on January 1. Don't plan to pick either back up anytime soon.

I've lost 11 pounds. I am insanely more productive and efficient with my time when I'm sober. And I'm a helluva lot more pleasant to be around.
Scriffer
AG
I didn't make it the whole way, but I'm down 7+ pounds, sleeping way better, and far more productive with my time.

But this stupid ice storm is threatening to obliterate all that progress
K Bo
AG
Started Jan 6 and still going strong. My plan was/is to go thru April 5 when we leave fort he Maldives. Thus far I have had zero cravings, I'm sleeping fantastically, feeling better, and looking better. I'm not sure what lies on the other side, but at this point I just don't see much upside in drinking. Regardless of where you are in your Dry Jan journey, great work everyone!
lazuras_dc
AG
K Bo said:

Started Jan 6 and still going strong. My plan was/is to go thru April 5 when we leave fort he Maldives. Thus far I have had zero cravings, I'm sleeping fantastically, feeling better, and looking better. I'm not sure what lies on the other side, but at this point I just don't see much upside in drinking. Regardless of where you are in your Dry Jan journey, great work everyone!

I feel the same way. Sleep is slightly improved but not what I expected so it just may be me, stress, or poor sleep hygiene. Definitely don't overeat as much and feel bloated or gross. I'm with you on this one man. Upsides to drinking are slim to none. Other than the occasionally craving of the flavor me of a nice bourbon or cocktail or beer. I may be a once every few weeks drinker from here on.
K Bo
AG
Yep, on a cool night a scotch or bourbon does sound nice, but having enough to F with my sleep and make me feel like crap the next day? Nah.
RockOn
Still going strong since November.

Also now in the habit of doing yoga in the AM and a kettlebell routine in the PM.
Scriffer
AG
Weighed in at 161.1 this morning after landing at just shy of 170 at New Years. Would like to have gotten into the 150's, but I'm really not complaining.

Definitely feel more comfortable with cutting way back on the booze long term.
aggiejim70
AG
32 consecutive dry Januarys in the books.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
lazuras_dc
AG
For ppl that lose a ton of weight quitting drinking, how often and how much were yall drinking? I have friends that lost 15-20 lbs but I think they were drinking a few beers everynight type of thing.

I lost 0 weight. But I would really only have 2-4 drinks twice a week on a Thurs, Fri, or Sat night.
CenterHillAg
AG
In 2017 I went from drinking 6-10 Lone Star's a minimum of 5 days a week, to drinking no more than 3 twice a week. I dropped 20 pounds in a matter of months. I've continued tapering my drinking to the point I might have 2 drinks a month now, and combined with a healthy diet and exercise I'm back to the size I was while in the Corps 15 years ago. I had one tequila & topo watching the TCU/Georgia game, and woke up with such a headache I haven't touched it since.

It's great seeing y'all's results on here, I enjoy a drink as much as anyone, but I'm glad to have taught myself the self control where it's not necessary to have regularly.
Todd 02
AG
Here's some math that may explain...

Your typical alcoholic drink is about 100 calories. We all know there are approximately 3,500 calories in one pound of body fat.

If, over a year's time, you average:
  • one drink per day, that's ~10-1/2 pounds of body fat
  • two drinks per day, that's ~21 pounds of body fat
  • three drinks per day, that's ~31 pounds of body fat
  • four drinks per day, that's ~42 pounds of body fat
  • five drinks per day, that's ~52 pounds of body fat
  • six drinks per day, ~62.5 pounds of body fat

I'm not saying that you'll gain ~60 pounds if you drink a six pack a day for a year. More just saying that the empty calories sure add up.

bam02
AG
On top of the drinking itself a lot of people stop the snacking that might go with drinking. Also I would imagine for a lot of people "dryuary" is a mindset shift where they start focusing on eating better and exercising more. Also coincides with New Year resolutions for some and just the common post-holiday commitment to healthier living.
harge57
AG
Kind of forgot about this but had a successful dryuary. Still haven't had a drink.

What made me think of this is the smell of alcohol has changed so much for me in a matter of a month. The smell is so much stronger. I can smell my wife's glass of wine or beer from across the room.
Scriffer
AG
Don't have anywhere else to post this, but I'm down 10# since New Years and only about 3# away from my high school weight after 20 years.

Once I get through some year end reporting, I think it's time to start running again.
RockOn
6 months dry.
Also quit coffee/caffeine.

Turns out the coffee was habitual and I didn't even need it.
Mr Mojo Risin
AG
RockOn said:

6 months dry.
Also quit coffee/caffeine.

Turns out the coffee was habitual and I didn't even need it.

That's awesome. I rarely drink, but to drop alcohol and caffeine for 6 months is impressive.

I have reduced my soda consumption over the past year and a half, but still have 1-2 Dr. Peppers per day. I did cut it completely for 30 days at the outset, and it wasn't as rough as I expected.
America was built on speed, hot, nasty, badass speed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.