Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running Shoes Question (carbon plate)

1,127 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big Cat `93
Sweep4-2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Question...are a carbon plated race shoes worth the extra $ for a recreational runner?

I'm getting more into running and have done a 10-Miler and several 10k recently and while I'd love to make my times faster, I'm not sure its worth the $ at my pace.
fc2112
For me - no. I run about 26-27 minute 5k, which is good enough to win my age group in most races (60+). The little extra is not worth the investment for me. But if you got the money and don't care - go for it.
AgCanuck07
AG
I'm avoiding buying the carbon plate shoes until I am a bit closer to a BQ time. There are plenty of other things that I can improve first.
Big Cat `93
AG
Might be worth it for injury prevention with high mileage.
RustyBoltz
AG
The only people I know that use them are BQ'ers. They're too costly to run mileage in beyond racing.

If you want to get faster, you need to put in the work. Bulk up your weekly mileage with 3-4 long, easy runs and get in a couple sprint/tempo runs in between.
Motot
AG
The Saucony's can be had for ~$100 if on sale. So not really much more than average shoe cost, if you find a sale. Link below is $140-50 gift card.

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/Saucony_Endorphin_Pro/descpage-SMEPMS6.html
ptothemo
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

At the risk of sounding pedantic, it is the foam in the higher-end shoes that helps with injury prevention and not the carbon plate. Most of the carbon plate shoes also have better foam, but there are plated shoes out there with low stacks and "normal" foam (e.g. Asics Metaracer).
Sweep4-2
Thanks everyone, that pretty much confirms what I was thinking (that at my pace and low mileage there are other things I can focus on besides new shoes).

I was just surprised at the amount of recreational folks running in 'super' shoes at some of these casual runs.

My shoe rotation at the moment is a pair of well worn Saucony Rides for daily training and a pair of fairly new Saucony Endorphin Speed for up-tempo. The carbon plated version (Pro) is $40 more and didn't feel as comfortable either.

Feels like carbon plate is for those folks already at the top of their training game (which I'm not).
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

To add on to what ptothemo said, moreover, the "super shoes" (Nike Alphafly, etc.) are not built to last. Unless you are going to buy a new pair every 50 miles or so, they're not going to prevent anything.

I find them very unnatural to walk in. They do work in that they will make you faster running than you are without them, particularly in longer races (e.g., half marathon and up).

Whether a PR is worth $275 to you or not is up to you.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bert harbinson
AG
IMO, you have all you need in the Endorphin Speed. I have great carbon plated shoes that I've run well in, but you can't beat the Speeds for the $$.
aggiederelict
In my experience working with runners no real reduction in injuries but I have seen multiple people with metatarsalgia because of the carbon plates.
Sweep4-2
Yeah, I've got about 50 miles on the Speeds and they feel great. Only downside is I don't like my old Brooks Ghost (too soft) or my Saucony Rides (too hard) anymore haha.

But I need them because I spend about half my time on trails (gravel) and don't want to my good shoes getting all chewed up.

Rascal
AG
Opinions on wider/square shape toe box vs narrow/oval toe box shoes for running or walking?
K Bo
AG
My feet LOVE the foot shaped toe box of Altras or Topo Athletic but hate the zero drop of Altra and Topo hasn't quite gotten there for me regarding cushioning in road shoes. I trail run in Topo Athletic MTN Racer, though. Both great brands and if you're curious about natural toe splay / foot shaped toe boxes, give either of them a try.
AgCanuck07
AG
I've been a big fan of my Altra Escalantes. They have plenty of cushion plus the wide toe box. Having ran in Altras for a few years now, my feet get uncomfortable with shoes that have a more traditional toe box.
Big Cat `93
AG
What about carbon inserts? My ortho prescribed some for me after my third metatarsal stress fracture. I haven't gotten them and tried running yet. Still kind of skittish.
aggiederelict
Without seeing them hard to know. Is there a carbon plate in them or just the insert is carbon itself? If there is a plate potentially could happen. If the whole insert is carbon then probably not a concern.
Big Cat `93
AG
Gotcha. I assume they'll be all carbon. I'll ask when I have them made. Thanks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.