Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ask a PT

45,639 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Burdizzo
aggiederelict
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the spirt of giving back, I would like to offer up some good physical therapy advice to those who are dealing with an injury.

All serious inquiries and not serious inquiries will be considered. This has been an interesting Health and Fitness year to say the least.

I have the pleasure of being both a healthcare worker and a business owner in 2020. But i always make a point to give back in any way I can.

Fire away. Would be glad to help.
Ragoo
AG
I need to improve flexibility from my back thru my hips and to my legs. Tips?
aggiederelict
What let's you know your flexibility isn't good or is a problem? Just curious.
Ragoo
AG
aggiederelict said:

What let's you know your flexibility isn't good or is a problem? Just curious.
tightness in those locations in the morning. I am 35 and and ongoing triathlete in training. I run or bike most every day and will be getting back on my training program this next week. I want to work in stretching to improve recovery and performance.
aggiederelict
Here is a good place to start.

Ragoo
AG
Thanks!
lazuras_dc
AG
I get bad trigger points traps lats rhomboids infraspinatus maybe even teres?
I've done dry needling , tens, massage ,etc doesn't seem to help. I try to stretch/yoga/roll a few times a week.
Nothing seems to help. Is this something I'll always have /most people have ? Or is it just me /my posture ? Dentist here so usually sitting , hunched , statically holding arms and neck in a certain position.

Also I seem to be much more comfortable sleeping in almost that same fetal like position and I know it's only word tending my muscle tone in that position. Any advice ?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks for offering your advice!

I've been squatting pain free for a good year or so now, however in the last couple of weeks I've noticed an acute sharp-ish pain right over the center of my kneecap when bending or making other squatting motions. When I squat heavy it doesn't seem to act up like it does on a casual everyday flex motion. A quick search pops up potential cartilage damage but since you're offering I'd be happy to hear what you think! I take a lot of time to refine form on my lifts so I am a little discouraged.
aggiederelict
Quit being a dentist!!! Seriously, I treat multiple dentists and it is an ongoing battle with the positions you to get into.

Have you really assessed your work space in order to be more posture friendly? Old habits are hard to change. I have seen a noticeable uptick in my clinic lately with the work-from-home crowd due to poor setup.

Do you get any temporary relief from treatment? What do you outside of treatment in order to wok on your posture?
aggiederelict
Ankle mobility good? Usually a good place to start. Also, can you upload a video of you squatting so I can a better idea of what is going on?

10andBOUNCE
AG
I believe ankle mobility is fairly good. Next squat session I'll take a video. Do you have an email I can send to? It'll take me all day to try to figure out how to upload!
aggiederelict
Ben@axiompt.com
The Pilot
AG
Exercises for a chronic calf problem. I suffered a grade 2 strain about 2 yrs ago. I think its finally getting better. I had a great PT but he left my area so I'm a bit in my own now, but u do have some exercises he left me with. I also tore my acl in January and today had a scope to clear up some scar tissue.

I'm naturally a fore/mid foot striker so I've been told that puts added pressure on my calf. This is all on my right leg, left no issues.
aggiederelict
Are your calf issues on the outside? That is vast majority of what I see. Any history of ankle sprains on that side?

I like to have people work the soleus. Big powerful muscle that doesn't get enough attention. Obviously, once you can do more when you mended up these will be more applicable.

The Pilot
AG
More towards the middle. Close to where the gastroc meets the soleus. I'll look at the vid. I've rolled my ankle a few times in my life but nothing I would consider abnormal.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Do you recommend any PTs in the Fort Worth area?
aggiederelict
https://prismpt.com/
AggieOO
Can you help me with a sports hernia femoral neck stress fracture torn hip labrum sports hernia?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Been dealing with Distal Clavicle Osteolysis...

PT has really helped show me the areas of weakness in lower traps and how to properly stretch my AC. I've been 3 times and already feel better but no where near 100%. Have 1-2 more visits in the future plus a follow up with Ortho and maybe another injection.

Do you have any exercises and/or recommendations on how to focus on lower traps (lower middle back)? I've got a very small window of movement before my lats kick in and mask the weakness, per my PT.

Thanks for doing this! Happy New Year's!
aggiederelict
I'm not a magician.
ag0207
AG
Thanks for giving out advice.

I have a question. I have femoroacetabular impingement cam type. I am in my early 40's this pain began 8/31/20. I have scaled back my exercises significantly and the pain has gotten way better. I am doing the stretches and exercises to help but I still have pain/discomfort with certain movements.

My question is 1) how long will it bother me/will the discomfort ever go away?
2) Will I ever be able to go back to my old exercise regimen (running 15-20 miles a week, rowing 2-3 5k's a week)?
AggieOO
aggiederelict said:

I'm not a magician.

You'll probably hear from me soon-ish...would like to talk your thoughts on prp vs prolo at some point. I know we did, but if you don't mind a refresh. I'll hit you up. Might even come back in for needling.
Tailgate88
AG
I had a hip replacement two years ago. I have used it as an excuse to not lift much or do anything except a two mile walk. I need to get more exercise, would like to do some strength training and cardio. I know high impact is bad. Any lifts I should avoid? I want this new hip to last as long as possible but definitely I rely can tell I have lost muscle tone pretty much everywhere and I need to do better in 2021.

Thanks for the advice!
aggiederelict
How old are you? Did they come in from the front to replace it?
aggiederelict
Give me a ring next week. I'm around.
aggiederelict
1. Really depends. My experience with FAI is that is takes about 4-6 weeks to really clear up.
2. Depends on the severity of the CAM deformity. What movements are still an issue?
aggiederelict
Were you a throwing athlete when you were younger? Are you still having specific pain the distal clavicle? Adding in external rotation to the shoulder is a good way to activate the lower traps. The Y exercise is nice for this as long you aren't having any impingement in the shoulder. Hangs on pull up bar are good for this too with palms facing towards you.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
aggiederelict said:

Were you a throwing athlete when you were younger? Are you still having specific pain the distal clavicle? Adding in external rotation to the shoulder is a good way to activate the lower traps. The Y exercise is nice for this as long you aren't having any impingement in the shoulder. Hangs on pull up bar are good for this too with palms facing towards you.
Yes, but this is not my throwing shoulder (if that matters).

Still have pain in the Distal Clavicle but it's intermittent... specifically, it worsens with inactivity and days in between stretching/working out. It used to wake me up every night 1-2 times but the ortho visit, initial stretches and cortisone shots helped for about 6-7 months. I think I am about to approach the 1 year mark on all of this... I think February was first Ortho Appt.

After not being able to draw my bow in September, I visited for a follow up and got another injection (#3 - I think) and it only lasted a a few weeks, at best. Follow up (October) I expressed concern with doc that shots were only masking problem and he agreed and said to do PT.

The PT has been great, I'm just trying to figure out how to keep my shoulders healthy and if 30 mins of stretching shoulder/back exercises 5 days a week is what that will take?
Tailgate88
AG
54. Scar is on the side of my hip.
ag0207
AG
aggiederelict said:

1. Really depends. My experience with FAI is that is takes about 4-6 weeks to really clear up.
2. Depends on the severity of the CAM deformity. What movements are still an issue?

Sitting for prolonged periods of time bother me. Movements that irritate it most are bending over, getting up from the ground if I am on the floor with kids, using my feet to pull me around if I am sitting in a rolling chair.

I am going on 4 months and am still not back to normal.
zachsccr
AG
No pain currently. Just always enjoy seeing your opinion and learning even via Texags. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to these threads in the near future.
aggiederelict
Sounds like PT should've been the first line of treatment. Sounds like you are on track to keep doing well. I think your plan is working.
aggiederelict
I would avoid heavy squats but lightweight and body weight squats are appropriate. What do you like to do for physical activity?
bigtruckguy3500
Speaking of FAI, I have zero hip IR. In fact, even forcing it, I can barely get my hips to neutral. Sometimes I get pinching in the hips when doing stretches, yoga, squats, etc., but for the most part have adapted my styles to work around the issue.

Haven't gotten any imaging done because I have no desire to get surgery, and it hasn't really been an issue.

Should I get some xrays to see what's going on? Should I do any prophylactic exercises and stretches? Or just not worry about it till it becomes an issue?

Second question: Noticed some right anterior/anterolateral shoulder pain a few weeks ago when scratching my back while internally rotating and reaching back (think lower arm of an Apley scratch test). Was still able to bench/row/pull/push/have full arc ROM, etc without pain. But now, it's affecting my ability to get my hands in a comfortable position while squatting. I notice that I get pain in a similar spot when in an externally rotated 90/90 position (such as with the apprehension test). Pain starts when the arm is in the same plane as my body and starts externally rotating past the plane of the body. No instability during apprehension test.

My assumption is early impingement, I think of the biceps tendon. I think the reaching behind the back stretches the biceps tendon with the head of the humerus, and the apprehension test squeezes it under the acromion. A modified Hawkins (arm tighter into my body) is weakly positive.

Have been doing more straight arm pulldowns, IR/ER exercises, doorway stretches (although this does kind of hurt the right shoulder if I don't enter/exit the stretch carefully) and mostly stopped other upper body workouts. Any thoughts?

ETA: No injury, no precipitating event. Only thing that has changed in my routine is I started doing more lat stretches (prayer stretch, with elbows on a bench and me kneeling with arms going into flexion), and some sleeper stretching to equalize both arms (right arm tighter than left).
aggiederelict
What started this whole thing to begin with? Activity change a bunch this past year? When sitting I would really to try lean back or elevate the chair to open up the hip a bit.

What does your hip stretching look like?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.