Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Advice for 24-hour fast

1,820 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by NoahAg
bushytailed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there is a an IF thread, but I don't want to clutter up that thread with this question.

(tl/dr: Any advice for a newbie doing a 24-hour fast?)

Decided to do a 24-hour fast each week during Lent starting with Ash Wednesday. I'm already used to 16:8 IF. I've been drinking black coffee and unsweetened tea during the fasting window. Any advice other than keep drinking water? My Wednesday tempo run will occur at the very end of the fasting window, so advice on how to get through a fasted run would also be appreciated. (FWIW, this isn't meant to be a spiritual question.)

TIA
ptothemo
AG
I would be most concerned about the tempo run. Do you have the flexibility to switch that with an easy day in your schedule? I have run in a 20 or so hour fasted state before, and it can be tough. Not knowing what your overall program looks like, I personally wouldn't want to do anything that might negatively impact the quality of the tempo workout.

ETA - Maybe most concerned isn't the best way to put it. Most relatable concern might be better put.
Ulrich
24 hours isn't that big a deal for some people especially if you're already used to the 16 hour fasts. 36 hours can tough but I've worked out at 48 hours... not recommended.

I say go for it, maybe have a snack handy in case you get lightheaded and need to drive back from wherever you work out.
O.G.
I have ran tempo and distance runs while fasting, although I don't remember if I've done it during a 24 and I know I've never done it for a race.. Distance runs can get a little rough but you should be ok on a tempo.

If you have the mind game to do it, and I know that you do, you'll be fine.
Gilligan
AG
Doing my first ever healthy, purposeful 24 hour fast.

One hour, 21 minutes and 13 seconds to go...
Gilligan
AG
One hour, 16 minutes and 58 seconds to go...

but who's counting?

I have had 110oz of water and two hot green teas.

Walked / Jogged 9.25 miles, It's been ok so far.
Hoosegow
Don't eat
Class of '94
Gilligan
AG
Doing my second 24 hour fast now. Have 2.5 hours until I can eat again.

I've learned the hard way to be careful what you eat after a 24 hours fast.

google it for details.

I am having success combining eating well with IF and an occasional 24 hour fast.

I want to try a 36 hours fast in May. I need to figure out how to maximize how much of that time is made up of my natural sleep.

P.U.T.U
AG
24 hour fast aren't that bad when it comes to the first meal, for me it's anything longer than than 72 hours gets explosive
NoahAg
24 hour fast? I'd try to sleep 16.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.