Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

dropping a deuce during a marathon

4,264 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thomas Sowell, PhD
Repeat the Line
How long do you want to ignore this user?
is there a particular protocol?
cjo03
AG
Unless you're winning, I recommend coming to a complete stop first.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I've done it. Some times you just got to go. I found a portapottie though
zachsccr
AG
Most races have stops along the course either at every station for larger races or every 3-4 miles in the mid sized marathons. Trail run- bring your own supplies because you're never close to a toilet when you gotta go.

Also, lock the door when you stop. Been on both sides of that and it's very startling to say the least.
wangus12
AG
When you gotta go, you gotta go. Stop at the closest porta-can and do it. Don't try and hold out because its just gonna mess with you as you try not to crap yourself
P.U.T.U
AG
Go in the first blue sauna you find and be sure to wipe completely. I have not ever had to but knew some people that did not wipe all the way and were feeling it for a few days after.

Big Cat `93
AG
All of the above. I've had to go El Segundo in three races. One of them was the marathon when I PR'ed.
harge57
AG
I had a freak out moment while sitting in a hot port a potty late in my ironman. I almost dozed off / passed out then startled awake with the thought of me passing out in there and no one being able to find me.
chimpanzee
harge57 said:

I had a freak out moment while sitting in a hot port a potty late in my ironman. I almost dozed off / passed out then startled awake with the thought of me passing out in there and no one being able to find me.

When your hobby involves a plausible scenario wherein you are stranded unconscious in a port-a-pot, you know you're way out on the fringes.

streetfighter2012
AG
I've had luck stopping in at gas stations/convenience stores that are open along the route. Usually no lines and cleaner than the porta-cans on the side of the road
Sooner Born
These were my splits at Boston this year. Guess where I made a pit stop.

cjo03
AG
that's some fast s#!+ right there!
lb3
AG
YokelRidesAgain
AG
I had to take a crap during mile 24 of my last race, and there was no toilet paper in the port-a-john.

I had to wipe myself with some large leaves that were on the floor.

I felt really bad for whoever had to bring those leaves in there in the first place.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SJEAg
AG
Eat sensibly the day before, coffee first thing to help things get moving early, 2 imodium 60-90 min before the gun.

I've road crapped on many long runs, but never a race.
Sooner Born
In a half marathon this morning I was in third place and quickly closing in on second when I had to make a pit stop during mile 11. I'd been trying to hold it off but I didn't think I could make it two more miles.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
City of Lakes?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sooner Born
City of Lakes is one of my favorite races but was today (and the only way I would ever be in third in that race was if I took off at the start in a dead sprint). I had wanted to run it but had some other obligations so I had to find another half to run yesterday.
wbt5845
AG
Eat modestly day before. On mornings of HMs or longer, I get up an hour earlier and slam two cups of black coffee. I've had to go at the race site before the race, but never during.
txags92
AG
cjo03 said:

that's some fast s#!+ right there!
What I love is that his average HR only dropped one bpm while dropping the deuce. That is power pooping...
abacavir
wbt5845 said:

Eat modestly day before. On mornings of HMs or longer, I get up an hour earlier and slam two cups of black coffee. I've had to go at the race site before the race, but never during.
K thanks for the advice.
wangus12
AG
I went twice on my current PR marathon. Once at mile 2 and again at mile 8.
Waltonloads08
AG
My wife used to run the Houston half marathon every year, thus I had to go watch.

I noticed that a solid number of people, who are not winning or anything, choose to **** themselves and everyone just accepts it. There was **** all over them.

I found it really damn weird and disgusting.

The Pilot
AG
I don't know why you'd lie but I find it really hard to believe that you've seen multiple people.
Swarely
Wasn't there a famous female runner in Britain that dropped a deuce in the gutter on her way to winning a race?
Swarely
Found it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/4454315.stm
Waltonloads08
AG
The Pilot said:

I don't know why you'd lie but I find it really hard to believe that you've seen multiple people.

I found it hard to believe myself, but there I was, wondering what the hell is wrong with people.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Pilot said:

Yeah, worst I've seen in 3 large marathons and several 13.1 races was a girl who audibly sharted herself while I was passing her in a race in Florida earlier this year.

Full on, "Oops, I crapped my pants" level befouling is distinctly unusual, in my experience, although there are certainly people who develop runner's trots and have to head into the trees from time to time.
TxAg20
AG
lb3 said:

Are enemas a thing before races? We give them to Astronauts before a flight b/c nobody wants to soil a diaper.

You can't make a statement like that and not define "We".

Are you personally part of the "We"? If so, what is your job title? Is that your primary duty? Part of the job description when you accepted the job, or something you found out you were responsible for after a few weeks on the job?
f2foxes2001
AG
I Find a light pole and squat against it. I just hope to find leaves or trash to use.
Sooner Born
Made two separate pit stops today during the Twin Cities Marathon and still set a PR!
JHUAggie
Felt bad for a gal running the TC 10 miler...

Oops! I crapped my pants!
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
It's important to log logs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.