Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

"ON YOUR LEFT!!!!"

5,232 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big Cat `93
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Riding the THP/GBP paths is one place I am really thankful that the freewheel on my bike is very loud. All I have to do is stop pedaling for a few seconds before I come up on a pedestrian, and there is no way they are going to miss that I am coming. I will still call out before I pass them, but I am not surprising anybody unless they have their headphones set to stun.
SJEAg
AG
Guess I am weird and but as a runner I actually get annoyed when cyclists ring their bell non-stop when the situation doesn't warrant it. Not that I think they are doing anything wrong and I understand the logic. But I run on the very edge of the path for a reason...just go by!
txags92
AG
As a cyclist, I agree. There is a balance there between making sure you are noticed and being annoying. If the pedestrian you are overtaking is giving you plenty of room and appears to be aware of you, you don't need to shout or ring a bell non-stop.
A. Solzhenitsyn
SJEAg said:

Guess I am weird and but as a runner I actually get annoyed when cyclists ring their bell non-stop when the situation doesn't warrant it. Not that I think they are doing anything wrong and I understand the logic. But I run on the very edge of the path for a reason...just go by!

Concur
ATM9000
AG
Out at Hershey this morning and got passed by at least 10 bikers running at 20 MPH or better and 2 different occasions, a mini peloton of 4-5 riders going opposite of me and a couple would buzz pass me at a quick clip within 2 feet.

Again, I never bark at cyclists, but a lot of cyclists utilize Hershey inappropriately being that it is a shared path with runners in my opinion. If you are out for any more than a leisurely ride, take it to the road... that's what I do.
El Presidente
AG
A bell. Use it. I ring my spurcycle bell relentlessly. The sound usually pierces their headphones too. I use it on the trail, on the road, and toward hot chicks. HTH
O.G.
A friend of mine is currently laid up with a broken clavicle because little girl darted out in front of him.

He had been on a trail, saw a family of 4 up ahead and gave adequate warning. The family "split" on each side of the trail and at the last possible second the girl decided she wanted to be next to her mom so she shot right in
front of my friend. To avoid her he ditched and hit the ground. Good times.
Big Cat `93
AG
Seeing this thread again reminded me that I saw the cart lady last Saturday morning just east of Dairy Ashford. I then saw two constable cars driving toward DA on the trail from the west. Whether these two things had anything to do with each other, I'm not sure.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.