Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Plantar fasciitis insoles and inserts?

4,194 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiederelict
aggiederelict
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggie00- great question. It really differs on where people are at in their recovery. If someone is really inflamed, then being barefoot is going to be a problem on hard surfaces.

But I don't like absolutes when it comes to advice so I think the idea of never going barefoot seems like a stretch to me. Walking barefoot when you aren't flared up isn't a bad idea. Strengthening the feet is almost always a good idea.

Tissue has the great ability to adapt. It is really about load management. You can't avoid loading your feet so it isn't like tennis elbow where you get around it fairly easily.

Plantar fasciitis is honestly one of the trickier things I see in the clinic. It can present very differently between different people.

I have great success at times with custom orthotics that help distribute forces. Putting someone in a good quality shoe or sandal can be a nice tool when they are really flared up.

But I also like to remind people the feet are incredibly strong. They support you entire body weight in a vertical position. It is amazing what support they provide for us as humans.
Rockdoc
AG
All I can add is I can't go barefoot at all right now. If I do it sets me back.
Quinn
AG
Not a doctor, but I have PF and walking around barefoot, especially on our hardwoods at home kills my foot.
bigtruckguy3500
Running in five fingers cured in 2 weeks what 6 months of stretching and insoles couldn't do.

But I hesitate to advise people to start walking/running barefoot unless they've tried everything else, including seeing podiatry/PT. I do have a hypothesis that running barefoot, with a midfoot strike, causes a similar effect to the muscles/tendons in the foot as eccentric loading would, and so you get some tissue reorganization and strengthening. Also, the amount of "reps" your feet get running barefoot even a tenth of a mile is going to be way more than the amount of reps they'd get doing towel curls, or other exercises sitting in a chair.
PA24
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Running in five fingers cured in 2 weeks what 6 months of stretching and insoles couldn't do.

But I hesitate to advise people to start walking/running barefoot unless they've tried everything else, including seeing podiatry/PT. I do have a hypothesis that running barefoot, with a midfoot strike, causes a similar effect to the muscles/tendons in the foot as eccentric loading would, and so you get some tissue reorganization and strengthening. Also, the amount of "reps" your feet get running barefoot even a tenth of a mile is going to be way more than the amount of reps they'd get doing towel curls, or other exercises sitting in a chair.
Man, that is scary to even think about much less do but the logic is not fat fetched and might be worth a try.

I really feel bad for anyone going thru the foot issues and agree with you before doing anything to traumatize the foot, go see a trained professional.

Boo Weekley
Just want to say I feel yall's pain...this sucks...obviously mostly in the morning getting out of bed.

Came out of nowhere for me and has been this way with right foot for last few months. I have abnormally high arches and am afraid that running could be out of the question for me going fwd.
Vade281
AG
I bought this spikey ball from Amazon and it has changed my feet's life. I keep one at work and one at home.

https://www.amazon.com/Massage-Ball-Massager-Plantar-Fasciitis/dp/B018TEDTRE/
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
bert harbinson
AG
I use one of those too. Immediate relief of the tightness of the plantar fascia. Probably don't use it as often as I should.
aggiederelict
Boo,

If you need a recommendation of a professional in your area to see, I would be glad to provide one. PF is a tough one.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.