Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Any advantage to training in the heat?

2,041 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BlackGoldAg2011
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe a dumb question, but with summer here (and not being able to get my happy @ss out of bed early enough) I've been running in the heat (Houston) a lot. I've built up a good base this year, and have run 6 days a week for the past month.

I would think that safely training in the heat now will produce benefits when it cools down in the Fall, as long as I'm not overdoing it. I'm still keeping my heart rate in check, and only pushing it when I'm doing speed work. I also stay hydrated.

With that said, is there any research that says heat training is actually helpful?

AggieOO
Yes, it increases your blood volume, your body starts sweating (cooling) sooner, and the composition of your sweat changes. These all pay off if you go run in cooler weather or when the weather finakky breaks in the fall. That said, eventually, the bidy will adapt to the cooler weather when you are in it long enough.
wbt5845
AG
I personally have found any benefit of running in the heat is offset by my cutting back distance because it's so damn hot.

I will do my three mile speed workouts after work in the heat of the day. But I restrict long runs to early mornings, which are still pretty damn warm.
RockOn
I'm slower in the heat, and I have to carry more water, but I've been able to maintain my mileage. (50/wk)
harge57
AG
Any truth to the rumor that running in the heat can help prepare you for running at elevation?
AggieLAX
AG
harge57 said:

Any truth to the rumor that running in the heat can help prepare you for running at elevation?
Yes.
AggieOO
harge57 said:

yes, but only to a certain degree. heat increases blood volume (plasma), which enhances circulation. Elevation increases red blood cell count, which is what actually delivers oxygen to your muscles.

optimally, you would want to live at elevation and train low in the heat. Something like living in Flagstaff but training near Pheonix in the desert. Or live in Cloudcroft NM and train in Alamagordo. But that's not practical for most people.
The Pilot
AG
They say heat training helps tax your body in the same manner that training at altitude does. I haven't found that to be the case. IMO it's very hard to simulate altitude. Or maybe I would have been worse off without the heat training.
gd28
AG
My $0.02... as others have noted when the warm weather breaks I usually see huge performance gains on a cardiovascular level, even compared to similar cool weather runs in the spring before a summer of heat training. What I also notice is my legs usually aren't up to the increased pace/distance the rest of my body can handle. This summer I'm working in more fast miles on the treadmill to make sure they don't go soft on me as my outdoor runs naturally slow down in the heat.
94chem
I'm 45, and for me, running at 6 a.m. when it's 78F with a heat index of 90F IS running in the heat. I've added about 10% to my 5K time since March. I run about 10 miles/week...don't want to become a runner - takes too much time and destroys too much DNA.
AggieOO
94chem said:

I'm 45, and for me, running at 6 a.m. when it's 78F with a heat index of 90F IS running in the heat. I've added about 10% to my 5K time since March. I run about 10 miles/week...don't want to become a runner - takes too much time and destroys too much DNA.
what?
94chem
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4792989/

For example. Just not necessary to run extreme distances, burn massive amounts of calories, etc. Trying to stay in shape.
AggieOO
Don't see it as a concern. I run long distances bc I enjoy it, not trying to do it to "be in shape." However, I need to be in shape to do it.

Immune systems are pretty resilient.
Spore Ag
Think it does. Last year trained hard for 200 mile Mt Blanc trek. Trained running up downtown park lots and Miller theater, endured sweat chaff and dehydration. Hiked with 3 Brits and one Aussie most a third my age and felt I far outdid them.
94chem
The only thing I enjoy about running is finishing. But alas, there just aren't many men around my age who still play sports. Since giving up racquetball because I ran out of people to play, I had to pick up something. I built a basketball court, but lost use of it since Harvey. Maybe I'll like running a bit more when fall returns...but never more than a 10k. I don't have enough thoughts for a full hour of running.
Geriatric Punk
AG
94chem said:

The only thing I enjoy about running is finishing. But alas, there just aren't many men around my age who still play sports. Since giving up racquetball because I ran out of people to play, I had to pick up something. I built a basketball court, but lost use of it since Harvey. Maybe I'll like running a bit more when fall returns...but never more than a 10k. I don't have enough thoughts for a full hour of running.
"Most runners run not because they want to live longer, but because they want to live life to the fullest." - Murakami

"If you don't have answers to your problems after a 4 hour run, you aren't getting them." - Chris McDougal

"I don't know how anyone can run for four hours." - "Boston" Bill Rodgers
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
c-jags
94chem said:

i don't run more than 2 hours usually. my mind is all over the place. my thought process is normally:

0-10 minutes: let's keep a good pace. probably can knock it down a little closer to 8.
10-30: settled in. cool. pray for a bit.
30-60: wonder what wife and kids are doing. i need to make them do a bike ride with me for this far. i think i can push a bit harder
60-70: what would i do if i won the lottery.
70-75: what charities would i give the money to? what stupid stuff would i buy.
75-76: how often would i fly if i owned a jet? i'd probably buy a boat too. nah. the two best days of a boat is when you buy it and when you sell it.
77-80: effing government would try to take everything anyways.
80-82: what would i do if i were president?
83-85: Donald Trump is our president. Things you'd never think you'd say.
85-95: how do i break the two party system? F' em. frick my hammy hurts
95-100: i'm pretty angry about the government now. probably should do some more prayer
85-100: this is stupid. i'm just too far from my car to quit now. i'm drinking beer when i get home.
100-105: why the hell am i doing this? it's not even a race. why would i run 12-15 miles for not even a race.
105-110: almost to the car. let's finish strong. nah. let's just finish at a good pace. or not walk. or walk. whatever.
110-115: dammit. reached my car and i still need another mile or 10 minutes.
115-120: i'm just going to run a pathetic loop for 5 minutes and hope nobody drives by. my legs are jelly. how do coop and 00 do 3x this much on their races? i hate everything.

AggieOO
lol!

I couldn't even tell you what goes through my mind half the time. I have the most profound thoughts, only to immediately forget them as soon as i'm done running.
wangus12
AG
Things I think about when running:

• Good solid pace
  • Why do I suck at keeping an accurate pace. 1 mile is sub 7:30, the next is 8:15, 7:45, 8:30, 7:30 and so on.
  • One of these days I'll run Boston
  • What would happen if I had a freak performance at Boston and won
  • That marathon investigator would call me a cheater
  • But there'd be video evidence if I stayed with the lead pack
  • How would my interviews go
  • I'm pretty sure this will happen if I ever run Boston
  • Man that chick in a sports bra running was smoking hot
  • I bet she'd hook up with me when I win Boston
  • My gf would probably be mad about that
  • I better pick up the pace or the sun is gonna come out and I'll die of skin cancer
  • I need to delete some of my music
  • Great the giant ball of fire is here and my legs won't go faster
  • This run is gonna make huge improvements to my times
  • I feel like I just ran through a rain storm
  • I have no sweat left
  • I can see my apartments
  • Just don't walk
  • Don't let anyone see you slowing down
  • Dangit here comes sports bra looking strong. I look like a *****
  • Finally done
  • At least I have the whole day to get stuff done since it is like 7:30am
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
i have a lot of the same thoughts, but one thought process is particular to my summer afternoon long runs lasting from about 70% to 85% completed. this thought process goes something like 0:11 to 0:22 in this scene
c-jags
wangus12 said:

Things I think about when running:

• Good solid pace
  • Why do I suck at keeping an accurate pace. 1 mile is sub 7:30, the next is 8:15, 7:45, 8:30, 7:30 and so on.
  • One of these days I'll run Boston
  • What would happen if I had a freak performance at Boston and won
  • That marathon investigator would call me a cheater
  • But there'd be video evidence if I stayed with the lead pack
  • How would my interviews go
  • I'm pretty sure this will happen if I ever run Boston
  • Man that chick in a sports bra running was smoking hot
  • I bet she'd hook up with me when I win Boston
  • My gf would probably be mad about that
  • I better pick up the pace or the sun is gonna come out and I'll die of skin cancer
  • I need to delete some of my music
  • Great the giant ball of fire is here and my legs won't go faster
  • This run is gonna make huge improvements to my times
  • I feel like I just ran through a rain storm
  • I have no sweat left
  • I can see my apartments
  • Just don't walk
  • Don't let anyone see you slowing down
  • Dangit here comes sports bra looking strong. I look like a *****
  • Finally done
  • At least I have the whole day to get stuff done since it is like 7:30am

The Pilot
AG
Run with friends, it's a great time to catch up and socialize. Also, they can help push you through hard or long workouts.
htxag09
AG
Speaking of summer running, anyone here drink salt water? I have been for about a month now, at the suggestion of my doctor, and it seems to be helping a lot. That may be coincidental or placebo effect, though.....

I typically drink 2-3 glasses of saltwater a day, and will put it in one of my bottles on a long run (10+ miles).
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
never drank salt water but when my weekly mileage is higher in the summer i always try to have very salty snacks for after my run, and have even just downed a salt packet from time to time. i can feel a difference usually within 20 minutes as my body struggles to regulate its temperature when i have low electrolytes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.