Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***official Intermittent Fasting thread***

4,974 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gigemJTH12
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I do the 16/8 thing, eating in the 12-8 window, but what I really struggle with is optimum timing of workouts. Is working out at night right before the fast starts pointless? I'm not a morning person at all and a 6am-2pm window won't work for me.
Aggietaco
AG
Decided to start 5/2 today with my first fast day on Monday, so just getting into the 16/8 thing. Been guzzling water to avoid RR donuts sitting right next to me. I get busy and miss breakfast a lot of days, but of course today feels different.
Post removed:
by user
Tailgate88
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Maybe I am too close to my goal weight, only want to lose 5 pounds and tone up some, but whatever I lose on a fast day, I just gain it back in a couple days.
I think the last few pounds are the hardest no matter what plan you're on. Might just have to go hard core for a week or two to get there....
carano
Does anyone do alternate day fasting? I guess what confuses me is the people saying to eat a lot more on your feeding day. Arent you canceling out your fast mathematically? If you are trying to lose weight would you still eat at a deficit on a fast day? Confused.
moore42
AG
Been doing IF for about 6 months now. There was another thread on here (havent found it yet) with lots of useful information.

I was always a huge proponent of breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I no longer believe that. I miss my breakfast foods, but now I will have them for dinner sometimes.

I workout at lunch every weekday (1130). I eat lunch at 1PM. I eat several meals and snacks (~2000 calories) until 9PM and then fast for 16 hours. I still get hungry some mornings, but water will take care of it. I drink the occasional black coffee as well.

Im down to 7.5-8% body fat. I started at about 12-13%.

Im to the point now I need to start putting on more lean muscle mass. I havent really lost any during this process , which is a good thing. But I need to bulk up again for summer.

Here is the other thread I started with
Pahdz
Pahdz said:

I do the 16/8 thing, eating in the 12-8 window, but what I really struggle with is optimum timing of workouts. Is working out at night right before the fast starts pointless? I'm not a morning person at all and a 6am-2pm window won't work for me.

Sorry for quoting myself here but I was really looking for some feedback on this. Working out at lunch is not an option.
bigtruckguy3500
Pahdz said:

Pahdz said:

Sorry for quoting myself here but I was really looking for some feedback on this. Working out at lunch is not an option.
It hypothetically doesn't matter, as I think studies show there's really no difference in fat loss between fasted and non-fasted exercise. However I still prefer to workout and then open my fast with a huge meal. Might be placebo effect, but I like it.

Don't be afraid to drop your eating window down to 4 hours, or even 2. And eat/workout whenever you want. It may be broscience, but I'd say you want some fresh calories in you following a workout while you sleep.
P.U.T.U
AG
One thing to note is IF seems to benefit you more as you get older. Right now my body does better eating in a 12 hour window since I am often not able to get large calorie meals. I still do 16-36 hour fast from time to time but I am still young enough where maintaining 10% body fat is not difficult
TriumphForks
AG
I have been doing IF for a few months now. I generally have an 18/6 window that I do 4 - 5 times per week. Generally I break fast between 4-5 PM on the days that I fast. I've lost about 15 pounds which gets me about half way to my goal.

I got started by following Thomas DeLauer's videos on YouTube. Any of you have an opinion on him? I am thinking about purchasing his program so I can really dial things in. He emphasizes that what you break your fast with is important and for the most part I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to that. Usually I break my fast by drinking skim milk since it is fat free and in the fasted state your body is apparently more sensitive to what you put in (i.e. you don't want a lot of fat at that time). During my eating window I eat pretty much whatever I want. Nothing is off the table and admittedly I do eat a lot of junk.

During fasting window I do drink black cold brew coffee and water with apple cider vinegar in it. Apparently there is some debate on whether these things will break your fast but if so the impact should be negligible. Definitely better than the sugary energy drinks that I used to drink almost daily.
O.G.
I started the 16/8 about a month or so ago. I had already lost some weight and inches off my waist so it's hard to measure it by that.

However, what it has done is help with the whole not being Hangry thing. I defnitely get hungry but I don't worry about it as much and its a good self discipline. Still drink coffee though, the rest of the world thanks me.
irish pete ag06
AG
TriumphForks said:

I have been doing IF for a few months now. I generally have an 18/6 window that I do 4 - 5 times per week. Generally I break fast between 4-5 PM on the days that I fast. I've lost about 15 pounds which gets me about half way to my goal.

I got started by following Thomas DeLauer's videos on YouTube. Any of you have an opinion on him? I am thinking about purchasing his program so I can really dial things in. He emphasizes that what you break your fast with is important and for the most part I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to that. Usually I break my fast by drinking skim milk since it is fat free and in the fasted state your body is apparently more sensitive to what you put in (i.e. you don't want a lot of fat at that time). During my eating window I eat pretty much whatever I want. Nothing is off the table and admittedly I do eat a lot of junk.

During fasting window I do drink black cold brew coffee and water with apple cider vinegar in it. Apparently there is some debate on whether these things will break your fast but if so the impact should be negligible. Definitely better than the sugary energy drinks that I used to drink almost daily.

I still don't know if I trust Thomas DeLauer yet.
gigemJTH12
AG
I love DeLauers videosI kind of trust him. Havent seen anyone debunk his science...and usually frauds are called out rather quickly by smart people on the internet. DeLauer has been around a while now.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.