Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

What time do you work out?

7,746 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Phat32
RG20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
-I hate doing mornings;always feel tired mid morning
-Work 8-5
-Always kidz/house/events/something in evenings
-By the time 8/9 or sometimes 10 pm rolls around I am gassed for the day
-Am I just being a puss and making excuses?
AggieOO
Depends on the day. Sometimes early morning, sometimes evening, sometimes mid-day.

Sometimes multiple times a day.
bmks270
AG
Currently I usually arrive at the gym Between 4 and 7 PM, sometime after work.

You are probably best served going straight between work and the gym in the evening or gym to work in the morning.

I had trouble with AM workouts until I increased my breakfast, and added a small post workout meal when I got to the office, then I wasn't a problem. A few months ago I was going in the morning before work until my work schedule changed.
ptothemo
AG
Pretty much exclusively early morning for me. Up at 4:00am five days a week and up at 4:45am the other two. My day generally does not go well if I don't get my work in to start the day. It's a physical and mental thing for me in that regard.
AgEng06
AG
5 am.

Yes, you're being a puss. If it's important to you, you have to make it happen.
DavidAg02
My regular routine is a hour long boot camp on Monday evenings with the wife. Three hours of martial arts training from 6 to 9 on Tuesday and Thursday, and usually something on Saturday morning (boot camp or kick boxing).
Hoosegow
To answer your question- yes you are
Class of '94
Phat32
AG
Early morning is way to go. Get it out of the way and start your day right.
RG20
Damn, I knew it. Get a rope!
wangus12
AG
AggieOO said:

Depends on the day. Sometimes early morning, sometimes evening, sometimes mid-day.

Sometimes multiple times a day.
Same.

Usually I just get the urge and I go.

Typically is running/biking in the morning. Lifting in the PM.
The Pilot
AG
If I'm running solo, usually start around 630 or 7am. If i'm running with people its 5am or 7pm.
monarch
S
I get up at 4:15 AM when I need to go to my office; On those days, I run 2-2.50 miles through my subdivision. If I need to fly somewhere, I might get up earlier and do the same thing. If I work from my house, I get up at 5:00 and do the same mileage. This happens M-TU-WED-THUR-FRI.

In the evening, if I am in town, I will lift four times a week and spin three times a week. Lifting will last 30/35 mins and spinning at least 30 mins. If out of town, I will run for approx. 30 mins in the hotel parking lot and usually I am out of town 2-3 nights a week.

On Saturday, I get up at 5:55, then, subject to our game schedule, I will lift from 8-8:45 then spin from 9:00- 9:30. If I don't get caught up in other stuff, I will run 2-3 miles before I go to the gym and workout.

On Sunday, I get up at 5:55, then relax the whole day, except leave for church at 8:00 AM. If it is summer, I float around in my pool listening to music and sipping "Dad's Fabulous Pool drink."
Peace for Ukraine!
aggiespartan
AG
When I was lifting, I was at the gym at 4:00 a.m.

Now that I'm running, usually right after work, or weekend mornings. It's dark when I leave for work, so I don't want to go before.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Up at 5am. Gym by 6am. Work by 7:45am.

I honestly love my morning routine. It's really the only time I get to myself. Most people think they need 8 hrs of sleep. They are wrong.
P.U.T.U
AG
Weekdays 5am or lunch (if I am working from home and lifting). Weekends 5am. Get the work done before anyone wakes up so we can do whatever. Working out first thing lets you get it knocked out so you don't have an excuse of something pops up during the day

Up at 4:30am 7 days a week normally
Tailgate88
AG
Ok i'll Be the one to ask. Why 5:55 instead of 6:00?
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
You'll either find the time or you'll find excuses.

Wake up 4:30am. 30min. fasted cardio/crossfit type workout.
Go to work for 12 hour shift work.
45min heavy weights session after my shift. If there's an event or kid stuff going on it's right before bed/once kid is down.
Weekends don't sleep in past 5:30-6am even on a rest day.
Yes, I get tired at times throughout the day, but I try to time my meals/snacks/supplements to counter it when I need more energy. Yes it's hard to keep the routine, between house stuff/kids/events/cooking which take up a lot of time after work. Once you get it going it just becomes normal.

On days when it seems you have no time at all to fit in dedicated workouts, get your exercise in while doing chores, or playing with the kids. Do sets of push-ups, sit-ups, air squats, burpees when you have free moments. Anything is better than nothing.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I ride a road bike and I have to drive to get to my starting point. So mornings don't work for me with my morning schedule. So I ride late afternoon after work.
RG20
Good God
BlueSmoke
Quote:

Ok i'll Be the one to ask. Why 5:55 instead of 6:00?

Strategery
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Phat32
AG
Why $9.99 instead of $10.00?
AggieNinetyNine
AG
I've got three kids between 5-8 so it is pretty difficult to find time, so i do a lot of workouts during lunch at work. It helps tremendously that we have a small gym at work and showers, plus my boss is really into triathlons so he understands if i have some extended lunches. Other than running (Mon. and Wed.) and swimming (Tues. and Thurs.) during lunch, I usually get up early for a bike ride on Saturday and a run afterwards. If i have no other obligations during the week i try to get in another ride and some strength training here and there.

Marvin_Zindler
AG
Alarm goes off at 5:10 am. On the treadmill by 5:25 am. Showered and home by 7:00 am ready to help get the kid ready for school.

Some of y'all are pretty savage.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
RG20 said:

Good God
I should've added it helps that I have a big home gym, and the refinery I work at 10 min. away has a gym as well, so I don't have the travel time to and from for gym time. I can immediately do my morning session at home, and then get in my afternoon session immediately after my shift before leaving the plant to come home.
07fta07
AG
Workout from 5:00-6:00am Monday-Friday. The first couple weeks suck but then it becomes normal. Now I feel off during the day if I miss a morning workout.
The Pilot
AG
I wouldn't consider myself a morning person, getting up at 5am for me requires going to be by 10. Not feasible most nights. I can do 6 or 630 pretty easily. I have a few running friends that routinely get up at 4 and are usually done before I'm even awake.
chimpanzee
Similar situation as the OP with time commitments, so early morning is it for me.

It isn't fun, and my failure to get out of bed rate will rise along with the stress level from work, family, etc, but the more you make it the routine and make it a point to stop thinking about how much better it would feel to sleep more, the easier it gets. It takes discipline that ebbs and flows with me personally.

This is my thing I tell myself, when the alarm goes off at 4:30, yes, it sucks, but when it goes off at 6:00, it still sucks, and you have no time to work out.
thirty-two
AG
Alarm at 5:30am.

Indoor spin (Peloton) from 5:45am - 6:30am

Shower, dogs, kids... out the door at 7:25am. In the office at 8:00am

Repeat.
Ragoo
AG
up at 5:15
feed baby #2 while wife feeds #1
Drop kids off at daycare 6:30
Work 7:15ish
Swim 1000 meters around 11:30 or so
Work until 4:30
Gym 5:30-6:30 or so to lift
Feed babies 7 pm, bed at 8
Maybe get 6-12 miles in on Zwift
Make dinner
eat and watch TV
maybe a night cap and cigar

Usually do 2 of the workouts in a day, 3-4 times a week.

Saturday and Sunday is 6:15 am run 6.5 miles.

Today i did 20 minutes on zwift since i am home with a sick baby. Maybe do another 20 here in a bit.
AggieOO
The Pilot said:

I wouldn't consider myself a morning person, getting up at 5am for me requires going to be by 10. Not feasible most nights. I can do 6 or 630 pretty easily. I have a few running friends that routinely get up at 4 and are usually done before I'm even awake.

I'm definitely not a morning person. That said, I'm up at 4:45 on Wednesdays and 5a on Saturdays for team workouts. It's a struggle every single time.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Get up between 4 and 5 most days including weekends. Monday's I get to sleep in until 6am. Tri training with a young one means you have to really want it.
94DallasAG
AG
M-F Up at 4 at the gym at 5 for 45 minutes or cardio and 45 minutes of weights
Saturday - rest day (conveniently coincides with college football)
Sunday - Gym opens at 8 - same routine as above.

As said above I love starting my day this way.

Never once have I walked out of the gym thinking, "Man I shouldn't have gone to the gym" but ALWAYS say, "man I SHOULD have gone to the gym" on the very rare day I don't.
thirty-two
AG
94DallasAG said:

Never once have I walked out of the gym thinking, "Man I shouldn't have gone to the gym" but ALWAYS say, "man I SHOULD have gone to the gym" on the very rare day I don't.
This.
Post removed:
by user
RG20
Looks like most of you get it done in the morning. Any tricks to get you up and going that early? I have tried putting alarm in another room to make myself get out of bed but I always ended up turning it off and went back to sleep in some if those days. Again, the part I hated was that it made my days feel so long.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.