Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Excercising fasted?

1,684 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Know Your Enemy
McInnis 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss

I do my exercise at 5am during the week, it'd be easy for me to fast but I've historically had a piece of bread with a small dab of peanut butter on it. Would this fasted theory increase fat burn? I feel like food in my belly is a mental crutch I've historically needed, but if things would improve in the fat burn dept I can definitely give this a shot.
YourFavAggie
AG
Pretty big part of intermittent fasting. People seem to find good results
P.U.T.U
AG
I wouldn't say it is the secret, just another tool. I went about 24 hours of fasting before I worked out yesterday. I'm not doing it for weight loss, just health and experimentation
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I am working out fasted and seeing really good results. I have not lost weight but have built lean muscle mass and dropped a pant & shirt size in the last few weeks. I do intermittent fasting most days, with a daily 16 hour fast unless my schedule is weird.

I have been taking in 1/3 serving of Accelerade before weight lifting, 1/3 after, and the final 3rd an hour later. This contains protein and BCAAs to help your muscle repair and brain but theoretically should not mess too hard with your fast. I was feeling a bit loopy on an empty tank after circuit training. Rest and cardio days I totally fast.

I finish eating at 7ish pm and fast until 11:30 or 12 pm the next day. I do drink coffee while fasting. HTH!
AggieChemist
AG
I have been working out at 5-6am fasted for the past 2 years. It's just one of several combined lifestyle changes (90% paleo, swapped beer for bourbon, etc) but I've lost 70 lbs, 40 cholesterol points and 0.6 off my A1C.
emando2000
AG
Barbell Shrugged w/ Dr Mike T Nelson

Here's a good listen that goes a bit more in depth than the article.

Barbell Shrugged w/ Corey G

This guy talks his anabolic diet which implements intermittent fasting but adds what works for him. He basically is strict for the entire week except for about 1 1/2 days or so.

Both are good listens.

June 5th I started about a Paleo-ish 2500 caloric diet where I eat all my meals between 9AM & 9PM. 9PM b/c I workout after work at 7:30 so I'm trying to at least go 12 hours w/ out eating. May 25th I had a DEXA scan done that showed I was 21.7% body fat at 178 lbs. I weighed myself on Monday & I'm 174.4 lbs...not a lot of weight lost but I do look leaner! I'm thinking of doing some cardio in the mornings when I wake up but I'm not a morning person & love my sleep! I think I'll do another DEXA at the end of the month to see what true progress I've made.
plowboy1065
S
I try to eat my dinner by 6pm since I workout at 5am. If I eat a late dinner I can feel it in the gym the next morning. Just feels like I do not have the same energy output as I do when I eat my last meal 12 hours before
agdaddy04
AG
I had always thought it was best to eat within 30 minutes of waking up to get metabolism going again. Is that not true?
Know Your Enemy
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I had always thought it was best to eat within 30 minutes of waking up to get metabolism going again. Is that not true?

If there's one thing I've learned in my efforts to be healthy is that if you look hard enough you can find "data" to support both sides of every fitness related concept. Do what works best for you.
reddog90
AG
I work out at 5 am M-F. I try to finish dinner by 7pm each night, just depends on work schedule and errands. I'm out of bed around 4:30 and I eat 1/4 cup of raisins and drink a preworkout that has whey, BCAA, and carbs. I should stop this to help burn fat? I'm eating a calorie deficit and losing approximately 1 lb per week right now.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I use the Isopure Zero Carb protein powder and it's great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.