Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Working out after kids, will I ever make it back to the gym?

5,044 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrmill3218
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

My first is due in September. I am in great shape now but I have to really work for it. Diet and exercise constantly or I get sloppy fast.

I also know I am not going to want to be away from my baby.

I think I am going to purchase a rower. Its the best thing for getting cardio, and resistance training in as short amount of time as possible. 10, 20 and eventually 30 minutes a day on a rower plus some pushups and pull ups and I think I will be fine.

Thats my plan for right now anyways.
update! I have a 5 and 3 year old now and I am in better shape than I ever have been in my life.

diet and consistency of moving a little bit each day is key.
gigemJTH12
AG
the community thing is huge. I recommend so hard that if someone wants to get in shape and can afford it, go join a class. Orange Theory or something similar.

I am very into fitness and even I cant work out at half the intensity a group setting will provide
RightWingConspirator
AG
I've got three daughters. One is in highschool, one is in college, and one is in sixth grade. I always worked out even when they were young. I made it a priority; however, a priority made much easier by having an extensive gym here at my house. I get not wanting to drop thousands of dollars on equipment, but after a long day at work the last thing I want to do is drive to a gym. During COVID when people were unable to go to the gym, I never lost a step. I'm 50 and in the best shape of my life. Wear a 42" coat and wear a 31" waist in my jeans. It's possible, but as people posted above, you have to make it a priority. Good luck. Having kids is one of life's greatest blessings!
JBLHAG03
AG
I didn't read all the responses but when my kids were little I went to the gym at 10pm after everyone is in bed. Fast forward 14 years and now my son goes with me.
htxag09
AG
This thread is a fun follow reading back on.

I signed up for my first Ironman in 2019 (IM date of April 2020) when we had no kids and really none on the mind....fast forward through postponements and cancelations because of COVID and I completed that Ironman in October of 2021.....with an almost 1 year old. It took a lot out of my wife and I, but I was able to still train, albeit a much smaller workout load than before the kid.

Now, I take advantage of my lunch breaks for workouts and our gym at work. Other days I just try to get my run in early. Or, if the weather is nice, I'll wait until after work/daycare to take the kid with me on my runs while my wife cooks.

I have recently started rotating in more HIIT and strength Peloton videos at the house, again trying to do them before everyone wakes up.
CC09LawAg
I agree 100% - and the best part/hidden perk is that now my 8 year old comes in there with me when I work out. Sometimes just to goof around on the pull up bar, sometimes to actually lift. The important thing is them being present to watch you and pick up the habit.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Just stumbled on this thread 4 weeks after wife and I had our first. The last few months of her pregnancy, I started going to the gym at 6am to get into a good routine once the baby came. No one told me about the feedings every 2-3 hours at night that make a good nights sleep impossible. Needless to say I haven't been to the gym this first month. Hoping to get back next week though.
Capitol Ag
AG
I realize that this is an older thread, but I wanted to add some thoughts to help those facing a similar situation. I think it's great that a to be dad wants to be more available for mom, and he should be. But that should not mean cutting your training. There HAS to be other activities one can cut to make more time. Maybe you aren't as caught up on Netflix or you miss a few social outings. Hell, if it comes down to it, cut work as much as you can without getting fired. This is about your health, after all. It's very important.

We have had 2 kiddos. I never had an issue with missing training honestly, but I make training an ABSOLUTE nonnegotiable. For some, they may just not comfortable doing that, but your health is just as important as "being there" and if you think that taking time away or becoming inconsistent from training may be detrimental to your health and lead you to go backwards (gain weight, eat poorly, lose muscle mass etc), do not stop. Sure, your life will change when you have kids, but your training needs to continue regardless. Try doing 2-3 days a week if you have to. Or make sure you have a deliberate program that requires you to be accountable. Make a garage gym. All you need is a rack and a barbell and plates. Post covid, a lot of it might be relatively affordable as many maybe trying to unload all the equipment that they purchased in 2020-21.

The other thing I noticed in the OP was that even if one needs to cut their training down, their nutrition doesn't and shouldn't go backwards either. This from his comment on his weight gain. Let's be honest, we need to have nutrition on point with or without training, b/c you can't out train a bad diet. So, if you are expecting, remember that you keep your nutrition a priority. And if you don't have your nutrition where you want it (or your training), becoming a mom or a dad is even more reason to get into shape and eat better so that you can be fully there for your kids as they grow up.
Capitol Ag
AG
CC09LawAg said:

I agree 100% - and the best part/hidden perk is that now my 8 year old comes in there with me when I work out. Sometimes just to goof around on the pull up bar, sometimes to actually lift. The important thing is them being present to watch you and pick up the habit.
Awesome! Kids need to see us train and make physical training an important part of our day. They are much more likely to do it themselves. And young kids can lift weights. There is no risk to their skeleton or growth plates. That has been disproved time and time and time again by a huge body of scientific evidence. Just make sure they have technique down and start them light and have fun.
CC09LawAg
For sure! I bought the Rogue OSO Mini Bar (it weighs 5 pounds) and some steel calibrated .25, .5, and 1 pound plates so that she can "add weights" once I feel like she has the form down.

When/if she gets more serious, I'll buy the Rogue Junior bar. Bought one for my nephew and he seems to be enjoying it. It's a nice compromise for kids who want to feel like they are really lifting (can fit in an normal squat rack, can use clips for weight, bar circumference, etc.) while keeping the bar at a manageable weight.

The nice thing is now I can buy stuff for my garage gym and tell my wife "but it's for the kids!"
Capitol Ag
AG
CC09LawAg said:

For sure! I bought the Rogue OSO Mini Bar (it weighs 5 pounds) and some steel calibrated .25, .5, and 1 pound plates so that she can "add weights" once I feel like she has the form down.

When/if she gets more serious, I'll buy the Rogue Junior bar. Bought one for my nephew and he seems to be enjoying it. It's a nice compromise for kids who want to feel like they are really lifting (can fit in an normal squat rack, can use clips for weight, bar circumference, etc.) while keeping the bar at a manageable weight.

The nice thing is now I can buy stuff for my garage gym and tell my wife "but it's for the kids!"
Love it!
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I had similar issues. Just too hard to make it out to the gym with kiddos and a wife I wanted to see. My solution was to turn my garage to a gym.

As I post this it's Saturday morning and I'm between sets. I have one kiddo in a high chair munching on strawberries & brisket while the other is sitting in her wagon watching tv on my computer.

A lot of times my oldest will pretend she's my coach and it's fun for her to "work out" with daddy.

Normally I get my lifts in after bedtime while the wife watches one of her trashy shows. As long as you have a plan you can turn what would have been a 2 hour trip to the gym to one that's half that in the garage. Still have plenty of family time and get to enjoy my favorite hobby.
Still mostly accurate 6 years later. Except now with WFH options, I get workouts in at lunch a couple of times a week. More kids and more activities, still making it happen.

mrmill3218
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

For years I've worked out during lunch at the YMCA across from my office. I lived working out during lunch as A) It didn't take any other time out of my schedule, B) Gave me a great pick me up in the middle of the day and C)Kept me from eating crap for lunch.

Last August I changed jobs and there are no convenient workout solutions near my new office. A new Crossfit opened down the street from my house so I started that in October hitting the 530 class before work. A few weeks after I started my wife gave birth to twins.

Fast forward almost 6 months and I've slowly ballooned into something resembling the shape of Grimace. That 530 Crossfit class isn't early enough for me to get home and get cleaned up before baby breakfast. After work is a no-go as I rush home from the office to barely make it home for bath-bottle-bedtime.

My wife occasionally goes and does Soul Cycle on the weekend but she's struggling to feed two babies and it reluctant to exercise too much. Is there a light St the end of the tunnel or should I just resign myself to a lifetime of being confused for a forgotten McDonalds character?

Calisthenics, my friend. I have been to the gym a handful of times since my second kid was born. I sneak away at work to crank out pushups, pull-ups, and squats. On the weekend I go for a run. I try to drag a sled once a week. Between work and family I simply don't have time to go to the gym, but I have enjoyed doing calisthenics and seen good results.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.