Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

my legs hurt so bad when I run

4,728 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by nrm02
Whitetail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

for anyone interested...

went to the doctor yesterday. He referred me to a cardiologist to get some circulation tests run.

Doing that on Thursday. Really hoping this is something that can be fixed easily.
Hoping it's straight forward and you find resolution. Good luck.
gigemJTH12
AG
thanks whitetail.

Appreciate everyones feedback.

I will post updates for those interested.
wbt5845
AG
FWIW - you're doing the right thing. I'm 55 years old, about 40 pounds heavier than I'd like to be and I can knock out 3 miles in 30 minutes and my legs don't care. Now, when I was 80 pounds too heavy a year ago, that was another story.

In fact, I did a hard 1 hour CG class this AM and am going out for a 3mile run this evening.
gigemJTH12
AG
yeah..its for sure out of the ordinary.

My limbs have been falling asleep for the dumbest reasons for about 2 years. I always wanted to go to the doc but just put it off.

Then some people on this thread said the running pain may be a circulation issue.

As soon as I heard that I tied it to the limbs falling asleep.

I am almost certain thats what it is.

My legs always hurt when I run, and they stay sore ALL the time. I am 180 pounds at 27 years old and in good shape. not normal.
Presley OBannons Sword
drink water, stretch, put ice on it, and change your socks.

you have now been medically treated by the United States Marine Corps.
gigemJTH12
AG
if anyone is interested...went to cardiologist...3 times.

Results came back and he told me he has literally never seen better results from the blood work. And ultrasounds showed absolutely no blockage.

I know I should be happy but its not what I wanted to hear. My legs are still hurting.

I am still running.

Ran 5 miles the last 2 weekends. Longest run of my life.

94chem
Try chiropractor?

Also, don't you have some athletic ability? Why would you insist on taking up running? It's what non-athletic people do when they want to achieve something meaningful in sports.
AgEng06
AG
94chem said:

It's what non-athletic people do when they want to achieve something meaningful in sports.
Oh here we go...
gigemJTH12
AG
94chem said:

Try chiropractor?

Also, don't you have some athletic ability? Why would you insist on taking up running? It's what non-athletic people do when they want to achieve something meaningful in sports.
because I am really bad at it.

I cant think of anything else I could accomplish that would feel better than finishing this.
94chem
Well, a chiropractor can read those x-rays and see if you've got one leg too long or something a little off. Chiros will actually listen to you and help you sort out the symptoms. Like, could you be confusing nerves with muscles?
Dill-Ag13
AG
94chem said:

Why would you insist on taking up running? It's what non-athletic people do when they want to achieve something meaningful in sports.

The Pilot
AG
Sometimes the trolls are just too obvious.
wbt5845
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

My limbs have been falling asleep for the dumbest reasons for about 2 years. I always wanted to go to the doc but just put it off.
Hey - sorry I didn't come back and check this thread. If your cardiologist, then that's great.

Do you have twitching of voluntary muscles on a regular basis? Like twitching eye, arms, legs or feet?

94chem
Quote:

Sometimes the trolls are just too obvious.
Hehe. Everybody knows that distance running ruins your fast-twitch muscles and slows down your reflexes. I lost some quickness in racquetball after a couple of 10K's. Maybe this can be overcome with extra training or something, but ain't nobody got time for dat.
gigemJTH12
AG
wbt5845 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Hey - sorry I didn't come back and check this thread. If your cardiologist, then that's great.

Do you have twitching of voluntary muscles on a regular basis? Like twitching eye, arms, legs or feet?

I would say so. but nothing crazy.

My cardiologist suggested I go see a neurologist.
AggieOO
94chem said:

Try chiropractor?

let me guess. you scored 4 touchdowns in one game when you were in high school.
wbt5845
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

wbt5845 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

I would say so. but nothing crazy.

My cardiologist suggested I go see a neurologist.
There is a syndrome called Benign Fasciculation Syndrome (BFS). It's characterized by limbs twitching involuntarily. Other symptoms are limbs falling asleep easily and muscle endurance fatigue with no corresponding actual decrease in strength.

A neurologist is exactly the right person to diagnose this. But the good news is it's a benign syndrome, so no long term nerve damage comes from it. The first treatment they'll recommend is reducing stress (haha) and taking one ibuprofen or acetaminophen every day. You may want to just start with that and see if it helps.

94chem
Quote:

let me guess. you scored 4 touchdowns in one game when you were in high school.
No way. Smoking would have probably been safer than playing football. I had no desire to roll around in stickers in 105 degree heat, take shots to the head, and destroy my knees.
bmks270
AG
Did you ever confirm it isn't exercise induced compartment syndrome?
gigemJTH12
AG
Yes my doctor confirmed
nrm02
AG
Do you get headaches with the leg pain or just headaches? Have you ever had MRI of head and neck?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.