Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Marathon Investigation website

10,811 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CDub06
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieOO said:

The Lost said:

AggieOO said:

Unthought Known said:

wangus12 said:

I cheat at golf too. Because I'm awful at it.
That's why I do it too.
replace "golf" with "running" and "awful" with "slow" and you are now see why people cheat.

Yeah, but golf you're usually just playing with friends... not playing for the chance to play augusta national... i guess scrambles are pretty bad though
i don't play golf, but can you not cheat at a golf tournament? There are prizes at those, no?
I'd like to clarify that I play golf 2x a year by myself.
Rudyjax
AG
I really like this blog, but Derek is a poor writer.
The Pilot
AG
MORE INFORMATION COMES OUT AS ADDITIONAL WITNESS CLAIMS RUNNER TOOK TRAIN ON WAY TO BOSTON FINISH

Will be interesting to see if the runner responds.
Satellite of Love
I am in the boat that is a chip mat is functioning properly and you skip one, that is an automatic DQ. No questions asked. You know the game and should cross each one on the course.
AggieOO
Satellite of Love said:

I am in the boat that is a chip mat is functioning properly and you skip one, that is an automatic DQ. No questions asked. You know the game and should cross each one on the course.
that's a grey area. chips don't register on functioning mats all the time for various reasons. That's why its hard to DQ someone for missing one mat. It becomes suspicious if they don't register on multiple mats or miss a mat on and out-and-back and have a crazy fast second half split.
wangus12
AG
Yeah, I've run plenty of races where a mat has only registered 60-75% of those running. The Houston Marathon didn't register my 35k time while it had everything else. Cowtown 50k didn't register my 26.2m time. I definitely ran the whole thing and I actually almost make it a point to put my foot on the mat at races.

Like OO said, missing multiple mats and have the weird splits are what causes suspicion. Preventing cheaters is never going to be 100% effective unfortunately
Rudyjax
AG
wangus12 said:

Yeah, I've run plenty of races where a mat has only registered 60-75% of those running. The Houston Marathon didn't register my 35k time while it had everything else. Cowtown 50k didn't register my 26.2m time. I definitely ran the whole thing and I actually almost make it a point to put my foot on the mat at races.

Like OO said, missing multiple mats and have the weird splits are what causes suspicion. Preventing cheaters is never going to be 100% effective unfortunately

That sucks as you can use the 26.2 time as a BQ time.
wangus12
AG
Unfortunately, I'm nowhere close to 3:05. At least not yet
Rudyjax
AG
wangus12 said:

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere close to 3:05. At least not yet

Just stay the same speed and age into Boston.

But if 12 is your class year you have a long long time.
wangus12
AG
13 more years till that first time knockoff
The Pilot
AG
When I started training for my first marathon I had 10 years until my next age bump, I wasn't sure if sub 3:05 was possible since I was 1 hr 10 minutes away. I BQ'd less than 2 years later.
AggieOO
I get ANOTHER 5 mins next year!

doubt i'll spend the time and money to ever go back and run it though. Too many other things on my list.
wangus12
AG
I apparently lied. I thought 40 was the 1st drop. Now its 35. So I'm only 8 years away from that
c-jags
AP4P2020 said:

This story in the New Yorker blows my mind. They still can't figure out how this guy is cheating.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man

that was a fascinating read. i just don't get the desire to cheat that much.
kbw01
AG
wangus12 said:

I cheat at golf too. Because I'm awful at it.
I did a best ball tournament and my team did so bad that they made a last place prize due to our honesty. I am sure we improved our lie here and there but we lost by like 30 strokes or something ridiculous. Back to running
The Pilot
AG
Larry Macon

The Marathon Investigation guy posted about Larry on the Marathon Maniacs Facebook page and was getting roasted by some people defending Larry. Wonder if they've changed their tune. I feel like he's getting a break for being older and a "nice guy".
wangus12
AG
Let's just say I see Larry once a year and he loves to brag about all the marathons he does to everyone at the office. Nobody else is a frequent runner and wouldn't know, but I wonder what would happen if I bring it up to him.
AggieOO
Oh, you do marathons? Thats cool, I do training runs too!
CDub06
AG
What a no-integrity low life.

But man, that course would be absolutely terrible to run.
The Pilot
AG
Looks like they booted him from the Marathon Maniacs.

I've got no desire to join either the Marathon Maniacs or 50th State Club (even though I'd actually like to eventually run a marathon in every state). I was pretty surprised to see so many people in both Facebook groups overlook Larry's cheating simply because he's a good dude.
wangus12
AG
Yeah no desire to do the MM. Future wife painted me a map of the USA to fill in as I run 50 in 50. Hopefully my knees make it that far
coop-aero-06
AG
wangus12 said:

Future wife painted me a map of the USA to fill in as I run 50 in 50. Hopefully my knees make it that far

Not to derail the thread but this reminded me of a funny story.

I was running the Reno marathon a few years ago and a few miles in I ran past a guy who was wearing a shirt that said "50 under 4" or something like that. He explained to me that he wanted to do the 50 marathons in 50 states but they all had to be under 4 hours. So he was out here knocking Nevada off the list, but he was sort of struggling with breathing today and he wasn't really sure why. So I asked if he had done any altitude training and he was like, "why?" He had absolutely no idea that we were running at 4,500 feet. I looked up his time later on; he's going to have to come back to get that sub 4.
The Pilot
AG
https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2022/02/elite-claims-11528-half-marathon-removed-from-results-after-cutting-course.html

TexAgs mentioned in the latest post.
RockOn
CDub06
AG
HOLY CRAP! I know that guy. He smoked me at a local 10k and didn't hit the 5k mat. Said he got off course, but he didn't care about the result. Said he just likes to run and he's more of an ultra guy and talked about his impressive achievements.

I was very suspicious of him at first. But talked to him for a while. And after following him on Strava, he seems like a great athlete.

EDIT: His most recent activity is titled: "Hatred will Never Affect Me. My Heart is only Full of Love"
He's got lots of support.
wangus12
AG
I mean we're basically famous for breaking the case. Also those other runners on the little Strava video should be within eyesight of him cutting in and out of that turn
CDub06
AG
The crazy thing is that he still seems to be a great athlete without the cheating. His pace on that fly by was impressive even before he cut the course. Shame.
94chem
Aye Davanita said:

AggieOO said:

Unthought Known said:

If you're cheating to run Boston, why not just raise money??
raising money takes effort. plus, then you can't brag that you "qualified" for boston.

i'm a purist when it comes to boston. I think the only way you should be able to get in is by qualifying.

Agreed.
On a net zero course.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
zachsccr
AG
94chem said:

Aye Davanita said:

AggieOO said:

Unthought Known said:

If you're cheating to run Boston, why not just raise money??
raising money takes effort. plus, then you can't brag that you "qualified" for boston.

i'm a purist when it comes to boston. I think the only way you should be able to get in is by qualifying.

Agreed.
On a net zero course.

I might give a little wiggle since Boston itself is not a net zero, but not the thousands of feet net down hill where you fall to a PR (prayers for their quads though)
The Pilot
AG
Personally, I don't really care to include the elevation profile into BQ considerations. If it's 26.2, count it. Do you need to start monitoring shoes and eliminate the VaporFly?
wangus12
AG
That's how I feel. 26.2 in a BQ time is fantastic no matter what. I'm on board to cut down the fundraising entries to allow all BQ time qualifiers in. Nobody should be kept out if they hit the appropriate time needed. That **** makes me angry.

And that's coming from someone who will likely have to get to Boston with a charity. My knees just aren't gonna let me hang the mileage needed to get down to 3:00. Gotta age into it

Unless my super secret cycling cross training works out
htxag09
AG
The Pilot said:

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2022/02/elite-claims-11528-half-marathon-removed-from-results-after-cutting-course.html

I'm confused why Texags is mentioned in this post……
Quote:

In a statement that was pulled from TexAgs.com forums from Chris, the RD.

Did Chris post the statement directly here or did someone quote it in a thread and whoever wrote this article/post was too lazy to find where it was quoted from?
The Pilot
AG
I couldn't find the post. Maybe it's buried in the trail running thread? Would be odd to mention just out of the blue.
htxag09
AG
When I googled a line from the quote with site:Texags.com this thread pops up. But looks like the poster or staff edited it

https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/2930665
AggieOO
htxag09 said:

The Pilot said:

I'm confused why Texags is mentioned in this post……
Quote:

In a statement that was pulled from TexAgs.com forums from Chris, the RD.

Did Chris post the statement directly here or did someone quote it in a thread and whoever wrote this article/post was too lazy to find where it was quoted from?

I have to assume someone quoted him and posted. Highly unlikely that Chris McWatters posted directly on texags.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.