Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

About three weeks out from Cowtown

5,258 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DaveHimself
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And I am nervous and get butterflies already thinking about it. Fighting a cold and my training has gone to crap. Hoping I can finish it.
wcb
AG
Hoping for a 13.1 PR. Questioning whether to pace for the sure thing (1:50) or go for broke (1:45).
reservoir ag
AG
20 miler on Saturday then downhill until race day.

Ready to have it done!
Geriatric Punk
AG
Hoping to run one of the lengths next year. It's been way too long. Good luck, y'all.
AgBQ-00
AG
Yep ready to start tapering. I have developed a bit of runners knee so have been resting this week doing stretches and trying to loosen my quads glutes and all my joints hope it works.
wangus12
AG
Running my first 50k. Will bump my mileage up a little more since I had a recovery period after the Houston Marathon before tapering again
wcb
AG
One week out. How's everyone feeling?

Cowtown Half is one stop along the way to the Big Sur Marathon this year. Feeling a little beat up here after a 40 mile training week; hoping a good taper this week works wonders.
crowag
AG
I'm doing the half. I ran 8 this morning...not feeling near as good as I did a month ago. Dealing with some IT band pain that just started to flare up about 2-3 weeks ago. Very frustrating.
wangus12
AG
Feeling sluggish going into the Ultra. I have a feeling its gonna turn into survival mode.
AgBQ-00
AG
My legs are not loose at all. Don't know what to do at this point had chiropractor appointment this morning. Goal of finishing at this point.
wangus12
AG
You in for the full?
AgBQ-00
AG
Yeah. First one. Have no clue as to what to expect on Sunday
AgBQ-00
AG
I set 3 goals for myself way back when I first started training. My Good Result goal is to compete and do the best I can. My Better Result Goal is to finish the race. My Best Result Goal is to finish the race in under 5 hours. So here is my plan. I trained all this time running right at a 10 min mile so I could finish in the middle of the 4 hour goal. I figure I will slow my pace way down for the race to help save my knee and be able to finish. I'm going to stick by the 5 hour finish pacer and hopefully be able to make a push the last mile to come in under 5 hours to make my goal of finishing below 5 hours. Thoughts?
AggieOO
your training pace should have been slower than your race pace, so if you trained properly (and don't go out too fast), you should have no problem.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

(and don't go out too fast)
Biggest key. My 1st marathon, I let myself get caught up in the excitement of the race. I hadn't tapered at all in training and by the halfway point knew I'd made a massive mistake. IT Band was toast at mile 17 and it was a long, miserable, limping trot to the finish-line.

Start slow and build up depending on how you are feeling.
wcb
AG
There should be pace groups. They can be very helpful for holding back early on. Or they can crush you.

I've told this story before, but I was shooting for a 1:50 on a half which is a ~8:15 pace. I found the 1:50 pace group and jumped in. First mile they went 7:45. I figured it had to slow down. Second mile 7:45. I wasn't trained for that. Third mile 7:45. I bailed. I was spent. Wound up 1:55. Had I simply run the pace I trained at I would have been better off.

That said, find a group that's running the pace you want early on. If a group is moving too fast, fall back and find one that fits. As others have said coming out hot is the best way to implode.
AggieOO
wcb said:

There should be pace groups. They can be very helpful for holding back early on. Or they can crush you.

I've told this story before, but I was shooting for a 1:50 on a half which is a ~8:15 pace. I found the 1:50 pace group and jumped in. First mile they went 7:45. I figured it had to slow down. Second mile 7:45. I wasn't trained for that. Third mile 7:45. I bailed. I was spent. Wound up 1:55. Had I simply run the pace I trained at I would have been better off.

That said, find a group that's running the pace you want early on. If a group is moving too fast, fall back and find one that fits. As others have said coming out hot is the best way to implode.
always ask the pacer what their plan for the race is. some will got out slower and then pick it up. some will try to bank time. some will try to keep even splits. Some of that can be course dependent. Maybe they go out slow b/c the second half is downhill or something. Anyway, always ask the plan. If they head out and the first mile is way off pace, don't be afraid to ask again. If things aren't lining up bail as soon as you can. If they are going out slower than you'd expect, maybe there's a reason for it and you need to know that too.
The Pilot
AG
Always a good idea to ask pacers what their plan is.

When I pace and even race, I usually aim for even splits. Also realize that if you are aiming for a certain time you likely need to bump up your pace for a few seconds to account for not running the tangents perfectly.
wangus12
AG
I would like to pace a half one day. Problem is that I'm awful at pacing myself.
The Pilot
AG
If you pace a distance relatively easy to your fitness level, it's just a matter of practice.
AggieOO
The Pilot said:

If you pace a distance relatively easy to your fitness level, it's just a matter of practice.
you say that, but my wife is terribly inconsistent at any pace. She just gradually speeds up and then realizes she needs to slow down. She's been running endurance stuff for years.

when we run together, she'll start speeding up and i naturally match her pace without thinking about it. Eventually, she'll say, "this feels kind of fast." I'm faster than her, so I don't notice the increase in pace as much as she does.
wcb
AG
Corral 1. Was not expecting that. Here we go.
wangus12
AG
Yeah Corral 3. Might be the first time in any race I've not been in the first corral, but I said I'd be going slower this go round
AG
Where did you find out what corral? I thought that was a surprise until packet pickup.
wcb
AG
Got an email yesterday.
wangus12
AG
http://www.mychiptime.com/searchevent.php?id=10309
crowag
AG
Corral 1! Loving the cool weather expected for Sunday morning.
AG
Thanks. I'm in 3.

First time being in ft worth the weekend of the race. Where is the best parking? Seems like that area is limited
Phat32
AG
Corral 1

Blew up in my first 13.1 at the BMW - came out too hot and couldn't keep up the pace.

Trying to run negative splits this time and PR.
The Pilot
AG
Weather is looking good. I've never run Cowtown, will probably sign up for next years race.
AgBQ-00
AG
Corral 6 for me. Got my email yesterday and have all my people signed up for live tracking
wangus12
AG
As long as its better than Houston was
coop-aero-06
AG
Good luck, everyone!

The 2008 Cowtown was my first half marathon, and I've been running ever since. Great race.
DaveHimself
AG
DL the Cowtown app. Lots of info on parking and where best place for spectators to watch, among other things. I'm in 3 too btw, although I'll probably move to 4 with my buddy.
pinkdog
Good luck guys. Surprised anyone is trying for a PR? Isn't it kind of hilly? But more power to you! I only try to PR it is flat...and cold....and someone carries me for the last 6.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.