Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

About three weeks out from Cowtown

5,256 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DaveHimself
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone run this course before? I put the route in Garmin and it looks like it's ~13.5. Just curious.
pinkdog
I've done the full twice. It's not horribly hilly like Austin but it's certainly not flat either. It's been awhile...2010, 2012...but the course was accurate including the mile marker.
wangus12
AG
The half felt a little long last year, but I ran it after taking nearly 2.5 months off of running.
EllisCoAg
AG
corral 6 for me, first time to run this one, should be fun. Weather looking good.
JDL 96
wcb said:

Hoping for a 13.1 PR. Questioning whether to pace for the sure thing (1:50) or go for broke (1:45).
Go for broke. Once you get going you'll get in the groove.
AgBQ-00
AG
I will see you there. We start in the same corral
The Pilot
AG
Pretty sure it's a certified course, I doubt it's long.
AgBQ-00
AG
The day is here. Good luck to all of you who are running.
wcb
AG
1:45 on the money. PR by 10 minutes. Boom!
JDL 96
Beat my 12 year old PR in the half! Whooop!

Great race. VERY WELL ORGANIZED. Easy and fast to get in your corral. Plenty of parking. Heated convention center for the fam during the race. Very well done. Never did Cowtown before. The name is accurate. You have to dodge cow turds on occasion!!

Great weather too. Great race all the way around. Oh - Blue Bell ice cream cups at the finish.
AG
PRd the half by 15min

Running on those bricks in the stockyard sucked.
MattAg06
AG
PR'd the full by 1 minute. The bricks sucked to run on, and so did the Main St. bridge. But all in all, a pretty well organized and efficient race!
Phat32
AG
PR by 9 minutes. Great race. Will have nightmares of the Courthouse hill for a while.
gd28
AG
Might as well join in on the PR party...1:25:54, a 6 minute PR and a full 40 minutes faster than my first half marathon at the cowtown in 2014.
reservoir ag
AG
PR in the Full, but it was my first.

Great job everyone! Always a good race!
AgBQ-00
AG
Finished mt first ever full maratjon. 5:44. The second half slowed way down. But considering I have not trained much in 3 weeks I'm glad I finished
pinkdog
Uh, I believe the correct terminology is "cow patty." Congrats to you all!
wangus12
AG
Cranked out my first 50k in just under 5 hrs. More up and down than Houston or Cstat, but I felt way better here than either of those
crowag
AG
Great job everybody! I ran the half in 1:37 (PR - only my 2nd half). Overall great running conditions. The hill during mile 10 did indeed SUCK.
AG
Main St hill was fun, but I've put many many miles on both Loving St and FP Hill in east Dallas, plus I used to live on Bluff St at the top of that hill so I couldn't look like a wimp in my old stomping grounds.
wcb
AG
gd28 said:

Might as well join in on the PR party...1:25:54, a 6 minute PR and a full 40 minutes faster than my first half marathon at the cowtown in 2014.
Phenomenal time, congrats. Any tips for the rest of us on how to drop 40 minutes?
wcb
AG
Looks like it was a good day across the board for TexAgs. Well done folks.
Goldie Wilson
Congrats all!
JDL 96
I bet it was horse turds. Smaller than cow paddies. But the more flattened trampled stuff in the Stockyards brick area, who knows.

Anyway - the race is accurately named Cowtown. So often races have BS names. I.e. the "Pleasure Island Bridge Race" in Port Arthur, on a mosquito swarmed island around refineries and chemical plants.

The Cowtown was a great race!
JDL 96
gd28 said:

NICE !!!
chupacabra tacos
AG
Terrible time on the Half. I thought I had a chance at breaking 2:10. I was closer to 2:30. I let my diet and training lapse on the last month and was carrying an extra 8 lbs from when I was running best. Of course it also didn't help that I never had not run more than 10 miles since 2013 Cowtown Half.

I guess there is always next year.
gd28
AG
I've always been a decent runner but 4 years of college and 1 year of living in Shreveport and working in the field did my 2014 time no favors. That plus the fact that I ran it very conservatively meant I was able to shave some really big chunks of time pretty easily at first.

The past 2 year's I've pretty religiously put in 10-12 hours/week of tri training. I think consistency might be the most important factor...I can count on 2 hands the number of workouts I have missed in the past 24 months.
EllisCoAg
AG
knocked 9 minutes off my Half time, felt good the whole way!! Agree with everyone else here, well run race!!
DaveHimself
AG
This was a "get back into running" race for me since I haven't ran consistently since the 2011 Cowtown. I really had no goal other than to finish around 2 hours since that's what I've ran Halfs before. Ran 1:59:51 so I'm pretty happy to have beat 2 hours, even if just barely! More importantly, I felt great and got the running bug again so hopefully I can stay motivated to keep running until the next race.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.