Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Starting the Whole 30 plan July 1

14,044 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good for you. You might not exactly be the norm, though. There is a reason that obesity rates are extremely high, and one of the reasons is the simplicity of calories in/calories out. Yes, it is obviously true that if you have a caloric deficit, you will lose weigh. However, programs like this one, teach you that some calories may be better than others. Fats (as opposed to carbs) will keep you fuller longer which makes it much easier to stay in a caloric deficit. Prior to completing the Whole30, I'm not sure I fully understood that.

Plus, it's not really meant to be used as one of the thousands of 'weight loss 30-day cleanses' that have popped up. It is more of a program teaching you a different relationship with food. And it definitely works well at that.
evan_aggie
AG
Quote:

However, programs like this one, teach you that some calories may be better than others. Fats (as opposed to carbs) will keep you fuller longer which makes it much easier to stay in a caloric deficit.

I'm happy that it is educational and helpful for many people. I've heard a lot of success stories. But, the concepts that are mentioned about avoiding sugars, simple carbs, bad fats, etc have been known and discussed in countless other diets/educational book preceding Whole30. And without fail, we will see another successor or alternate to Whole30 in a few years that rinses and repeats the same principles with a new name. It is new and trendy and gets information out to the public. Eventually the shine wears off and a reboot is needed to catch people's attention.

More importantly, whole30 and all others aren't going to change the obesity of America. Our life styles coupled with the average desk job, low cost fast food are going to increase our waistlines.

Unless we find ourselves living in dense cities where we rely on walking/public transportation or taxation for having an excessive waistline, nothing will change.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/health-consumers/news/study-fat-tax-made-denmark-healthier/

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Quote:

I'm happy that it is educational and helpful for many people. I've heard a lot of success stories. But, the concepts that are mentioned about avoiding sugars, simple carbs, bad fats, etc have been known and discussed in countless other diets/educational book preceding Whole30. And without fail, we will see another successor or alternate to Whole30 in a few years that rinses and repeats the same principles with a new name. It is new and trendy and gets information out to the public. Eventually the shine wears off and a reboot is needed to catch people's attention.
Are you upset that you didn't think to make the money off of it? I'm not exactly sure what your point is other than the program is dumb because it has been around in bits and pieces in countless other diets. Some people are obviously relating to this more than the others and having better success.
evan_aggie
AG
Good point.

First, no im not upset.

Secondly, I think my main argument is that whole30 in its entirety is overly rigid and overkill. I think most people who have done it and retain most of the principles realize there isn't a need to follow it to a T to continue keeping the weight off.

As it is written, Whole30 is kind of a crash diet.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Quote:

More importantly, whole30 and all others aren't going to change the obesity of America. Our life styles coupled with the average desk job, low cost fast food are going to increase our waistlines.

Unless we find ourselves living in dense cities where we rely on walking/public transportation or taxation for having an excessive waistline, nothing will change.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/health-consumers/news/study-fat-tax-made-denmark-healthier/
I responded prior to your edit with this.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone advocate a taxation on having an excessive waistline... Not even sure how to respond to that one.

It's pretty well known that diet has much more of an impact on obesity than exercise does. People weren't fat in as great of numbers prior to the ~1980s, even in areas where they weren't living in dense cities and relying on walking/public transportation.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
evan_aggie said:

Good point.

First, no im not upset.

Secondly, I think my main argument is that whole30 in its entirety is overly rigid and overkill. I think most people who have done it and retain most of the principles realize there isn't a need to follow it to a T to continue keeping the weight off.

As it is written, Whole30 is kind of a crash diet.
That is precisely the point of the diet. Most people will re-introduce foods after completing the 30 days to see the reaction to them. A ton of people have trouble pin-pointing why certain foods make them feel certain ways when they are consuming a broad variety of different foods that could make you feel that way.

Yes, I suppose it is a crash diet in that regard. Is that a bad thing?
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.