Why do people put Fake Badges on their cars?

3,193 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by BigRobSA
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Example: This guy is driving a Z3, but he decided to put an ///M badge on the back and on the side. It's clear that he doesn't have the M Engine because he only has two exhust pipes instead of 4.

To some degree, I understand people who delete the badges from their cars. I guess they want to keep people guessing on whether their car that looks like a high-end car really is in fact that car, or a similar looking model that costs $20,000 less.

But what's with the guys who spend $100 souping up the badging on their cars?
AG
maybe he had hail damage to the trunk lid and got a replacement in the same color from the junkyard but never bothered to take the badging off

HollywoodBQ
AG
Hail damage - I forgot to consider that possibility since we get so much Hail here in Cali. He must have accidentally run into the ///M badge on the front right quarter panel too.
BosAG06
AG
Maybe he has hidden pipes. What's the deal with you taking random pictures while you are driving?
HollywoodBQ
AG
As much time as I spend in my car, it's just a way to keep myself entertained. I see so many crazy things on the freeways of Southern California, it's kind of a hobby to chronicle this phase of my life. Also, with today's digital cameras, you don't have to put too much effort into getting a shot because you can always crop it later.
Sensei John Kreese
Why does it bother you if I put a Z71 sticker on my Kia?
HollywoodBQ
AG
That's OK b/c it's obviously fake.

I'm talking about if you put a Kia TypeR, or Kia GT sticker on your entry level Kia. Why bother?
Stymied
AG
I think your real M3 is getting jealous.
WoMD
i got the Type-S badge stolen off my RSX-S while in colorado. probably ended up on a civic.
Madman
AG
To the original question.

Because the world is full of wannabe's.

Like all the retards who buy v6 mustangs and then put on cobra rims and badges. They are pathetic like their cars.
SpicewoodAg
AG
Because he's a punk.
akaggie05
AG
I saw a 525i on ebaymotors once that had M5 emblems all over it...
dleonard
The chicks probably don't know the difference.

Only people who are "in the know" loathe them, so it's a decent tradeoff.

Note: I have not (and would never) do this.
OKCTexAg
AG
That's an easy question. It's adds horsepower. If you get 5hp for every sticker, you have to get around 15-20 for a badge.
aggieforester05
AG
I think my favorite are the guys that put GTR badges from a Nissan Skyline GTR on their mustangs as if to say they are som special mustang gt - r. Why put a sticker from an import on a domestic? I just don't understand the intelligence level that it must take to make that decision.
The Fife
I've seen a citation you can print out and leave on those POS cars you see with fake badges.
p_bubel
quote:
Why do people put Fake Badges on their cars?

Probably for the same reason his rear-view mirror is cocked at a 45° angle, he's got a dorky fin on the rear and he swiped the exhaust off of a lawn mower... he's an idiot with horrible taste.
OleArmyBQ68
AG
I attended a car show this weekend. There was a '57 Bel Air (nice car) with a fuelie badge on it. He had the hood closed, so I asked if he would let me see the FI 283. I was excited to be able to see one. He wouldn't raise the hood. Faker.
BTW we won the musclecar competition with the black '69 SS/RS 396 Camaro conv.
'03ag
having poor taste is a right.

AG
I've got one: GMC truck owners that take off the "GMC" or get the chevy emblem to cover it up. They ARE the same truck, guys. Why didn't you just buy the chevy if it's that big of a deal?
R.R. Ag
quote:
Because the world is full of wannabe's.

I think Madman summed it up correctly.
HockeyAg07
AG
because most people don't really know the difference, and it makes them feel better.
Houston_Ag
Because everyone knows that only those with deep-seated feelings of inadequacy purchase BMWs, and this is just taking that one step further.
BrazosDog02
AG
quote:
because most people don't really know the difference, and it makes them feel better.

Bingo. I wouldnt know the difference between a normal one and an M, nor would i really care. I only care that he paid a lot more (or not since its a fake, apparantly) than i did for my truck and he can hold 4 less people.
ac04
huge pet peeve of mine.
tony
AG
my favorite example of this was a good friend of mine, had a 70 chevelle, he took of his 454 badges, and put on the 307 and malibu ones.

TonsterPS
AG
Actually, I've heard that the ///M badge adds ~7-8 hp...multiply that by 3 for the badge on the back and the 2 on the sides, that's 21-24 hp gained. Well worth it imho.
SpicewoodAg
AG
I've seen the remove badge option used fairly often with the wimpy 318i cars. I guess these owners of budget BMWs don't want anyone to know they have a 4 cylinder.
BrazosDog02
AG
quote:
my favorite example of this was a good friend of mine, had a 70 chevelle, he took of his 454 badges, and put on the 307 and malibu ones.

This is OK with me. This makes the OTHER guy look like a dumbass, not you as the BMW guy did. Its always fun. I never removed the badges on my olds, but i DID quiet down the exhaust a bit to give a similar effect.

The beamer guy should put the oriental stickers on it, those would give much more power than the ///M stickers.

[This message has been edited by jed1154 (edited 3/6/2007 10:43a).]
jetch17
AG
back when i ran with the houston viper club, there was a guy who bought a stock C5 vette, paid to have the Zo6 vents cut and put Zo6 emblems on his car. the best part is that he didnt really realize that his C5 wasnt an FRC, so it looked extra gay. he was in fact a supreme ******.

good times.
ac04
quote:
there was a guy who bought a stock C5 vette, paid to have the Zo6 vents cut and put Zo6 emblems on his car.
RoperJoe02
When I bought my truck several years ago..it had a several Rousch decals on it because the guys other car was a Rousch Mustang. I was too lazt to remove the decals until I caught all kinds of hell from my buddies.
mts6175
AG
Guy I use to work with felt the need to put the 5.7 L Hemi badge on his company issued Magnum. You know, the one with the 2.7 L V-6?

Was rather funny...
'03ag
audi guys sometimes put S4 bumpers and body kits on their A4's because they look better, but they don't put he S badge on.

AG
My favorite example of this was my friend Dave in high school. He knew NOTHING about cars... he couldn't tell you the difference between a carburetor and a torque converter. If you asked him which one sat on top of the intake manifold, he'd have a 50/50 chance of being right. But he didn't care, it just wasn't important to him - a car was just a way of getting to and from basketball practice.

I, on the other hand, was a huge car nut and he knew it. One day, he came up to me all excited and said "Hey! I put a turbo on my car!" I said "What? You're kidding." He said "no, come look!"

We walked out to his car (a Pontiac Sunbird!) and he pointed to his trunk lid. There was a little chromed plastic "TURBO" emblem stuck there. We both got the biggest laugh out of that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.