Dear gas station owners,

2,925 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Burdizzo
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Diesel is over $6.00 a gallon

Most pickup diesel tanks are 30 gallons or more

It would really be nice if you would program your pumps so that they didn't shut off at $125

Thank you
JB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$175 plus another $30 yesterday at an HEB when it was $5.87

I've never understood if that is a gas station thing or a bank/credit card thing.
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i think it's both - it's a preauthorization just in case your card is declined once the total is actually known. so they are not exposed in case you fill up completely and can't pay for it
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When the pump stops at $125, I just use the same card to put in the last 3 gallons. So it doesn't seem loke a good fraud protection
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
that first 125 is charged at that point. not preauthorized. as I understand it...
clarythedrill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CanyonAg77 said:

Diesel is over $6.00 a gallon

Most pickup diesel tanks are 30 gallons or more

It would really be nice if you would program your pumps so that they didn't shut off at $125

Thank you

What if I told you that you can fill up before being empty or close to empty?
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
sts7049 said:

i think it's both - it's a preauthorization just in case your card is declined once the total is actually known. so they are not exposed in case you fill up completely and can't pay for it


So have the customer enter a pre-auth amount.
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What if I told you that we are currently pulling a 5th wheel, and it's a PITA to get into a gas island. So we fill as seldom as possible and usually after we've unhooked for a few days.

But I guess it's too much to ask that a vendor meet their customer's needs.

Side note, the pickup we had before this one had a 65 gallon tank. Sometimes took three tries to fill
TxSquarebody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
clarythedrill said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Diesel is over $6.00 a gallon

Most pickup diesel tanks are 30 gallons or more

It would really be nice if you would program your pumps so that they didn't shut off at $125

Thank you

What if I told you that you can fill up before being empty or close to empty?

You've gone from preaching to meddling!
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He doesn't know what living rural means CanyonAg.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am running into this issue as well with $4 gas and a 36-gallon tank. It is irritating, but not as irritating as the guy at Advance Auto Parts who can't cross reference a Wix filter number to the Car Quest filter and insists he can't look it up until I tell him the make and no model of the car it goes on. And then when he figures out the CQ part number he says he doesn't have it in stock even though I am pretty sure he does. And so then I go home and just to spite that dumbass I order it online from his store just so I can go back in there and show him I know more about what he has in stock than he does.

Damn. Good parts guys are getting harder to find.
redag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Burdizzo said:

I am running into this issue as well with $4 gas and a 36-gallon tank. It is irritating, but not as irritating as the guy at Advance Auto Parts who can't cross reference a Wix filter number to the Car Quest filter and insists he can't look it up until I tell him the make and no model of the car it goes on. And then when he figures out the CQ part number he says he doesn't have it in stock even though I am pretty sure he does. And so then I go home and just to spite that dumbass I order it online from his store just so I can go back in there and show him I know more about what he has in stock than he does.

Damn. Good parts guys are getting harder to find.

You should have just ordered it on your phone while in his store to really spite him
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have done similar things before. I just dont think of those things as fast as I used to. The dumb SOB sent me to the OReilly across the street "because they carry Wix". I should have gone there the first time, but they pissed me off a couple of years ago when they lost a set of rotors I brought in to have turned.
TxAg20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There are a couple of local stations that have $175 cutoffs. I intentionally fill up at those stations so I'm less likely to have to run my card twice.

When RV'ing, I typically went to truck stops since I had a 150 gallon diesel tank and 12 gallon DEF tank. I would go inside and have them run my card for more than I thought I could get in the tank so I wouldn't have to swipe my card multiple times. They'll true the charge for whatever you actually pumped.
txyaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TxAg20 said:

There are a couple of local stations that have $175 cutoffs. I intentionally fill up at those stations so I'm less likely to have to run my card twice.

When RV'ing, I typically went to truck stops since I had a 150 gallon diesel tank and 12 gallon DEF tank. I would go inside and have them run my card for more than I thought I could get in the tank so I wouldn't have to swipe my card multiple times. They'll true the charge for whatever you actually pumped.

Fleet/discount cards are the way to go when pulling an RV. Open Roads lets you fill up at the high flow truck pumps without having to go inside, and you get a discount on the pump diesel price. Mudflap is another option, but you have to go inside to start the transaction.
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is that why loves and flying j are always 50 cents a gallon higher? You get a discount card for 50 cents off?
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Is that why loves and flying j are always 50 cents a gallon higher? You get a discount card for 50 cents off?


I don't know if they are still doing it, but the business model for Pilot/Flying J used to be they would charge those prices at the pump then send a rebate check to those people using the fleet cards. Fleets saw that as a good deal. Then the feds figured out they were cooking the books and short-changing customers on the rebates. Smaller carriers got it worst. Big class action lawsuit about 10-15 years ago.
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Is that why loves and flying j are always 50 cents a gallon higher? You get a discount card for 50 cents off?


Have to subsidize the showers.
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Good parts guys are getting harder to find.

They hire anyone to work the parts counter now. Warm dumb bodies.
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
But you get such interesting conversation now…

Me: "I need a wiper blade for a '23 Camry"
Parts Jockey: "What size engine?"
Me: "…"
clarythedrill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gunny456 said:

He doesn't know what living rural means CanyonAg.

Regardless of where I live, it isn't too hard to just swipe the card again and finish topping off. Now a hotshotter, who probably has to fill up several times a day, would have a legit gripe.
txyaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Is that why loves and flying j are always 50 cents a gallon higher? You get a discount card for 50 cents off?

That's a big part of it.

Loves near me is $5.89 retail vs $5.62 fleet. Small Casey's near me with 2 high flow pumps is $5.76 retail vs $5.48 fleet. Average fleet price per gallon in Central Texas is around $5.60. In Houston it's ~$5.50. Panhandle looks ~$5.70 with Allsups stores over $6.

Fleet card I'm using is free. You pay at pump in the big rig area with a card and pin just like on the passenger vehicle side. Since it's fleet, there's no pre-auth limit. I can fill 150 gallons in a few minutes.

https://www.myopenroads.com/

You can sign up for the big rig rewards programs at Loves, Flying J, etc to earn their free stuff. I think those programs have better rewards.
Rattler12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm glad I don't have a diesel truck anymore and double glad I don't have a 40 foot travel trailer to pull with it. These 1st world problems would drive me crazy.........er
OldArmy97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pre-Auth is set by gas companies in order to prevent fraud by consumers. Most are set it and forget models due to average size fuel tanks and unfortunately as prices rise these limits need to be readjusted but usually is not a long term issue so inconvenience is tolerated.
turf guy ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got back from trip to El Paso pulling the trailer. 48 gallon tank but even the truck side pumps cut you off if you don't have the fuel card or whatever.

My biggest gripe is they never seem to put paper in the pump to print the receipt so you have to go inside and see all the junky junk they want to sell you.
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love that y'all are finally getting to tread the same ground I already walked in California 20 years ago.

I remember when USAA upped my credit card cutoff at the pump from $50 to $75 back when gas was a seemingly expensive $3.33+ / gallon.

I did have a few fill-ups in the Expedition where I had to tap twice to get above $75.

That was circa 2005.

During the war (Covid-19), they raised my cutoff to $100 and later to something even above that.

I think my single tap record in the Jeep Wrangler was $104 for about 20 gallons in Rancho Cucamonga in July 2023 when I was driving back from a friend's celebration of life in Phoenix.

Just spent $99 for 15 gallons in the rental Jeep Wrangler at LAX last weekend.

Sounds like you Diesel bros definitely need to look into a fleet card.
Prune Tracy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"I'm the king of Rancho Cucamonga!"
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I remember when diesel was cheaper than gas and it was the next big thing. We had an Olds 88 and 98 to capitalize on that.
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

I remember when diesel was cheaper than gas and it was the next big thing. We had an Olds 88 and 98 to capitalize on that.


Near the top of the list GM bad ideas was that 350 diesel engine from the late-70s/early-80s. It is right up there with the Cadillac V-8-6-4.,
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.