'21 Lexus ES350 won't start

1,170 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by trip98
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wife's car....40k miles....battery replaced last year. key fob and push button start. Does the same with both fobs.
car dash lights up...all sorts of lights and even cycles thru different error messages (i.e. rear camera not working). A/C comes on. Head lights come on. Even has the light that says "ignition on"

I'm thinking something with the starter? It won't even try to start.

Not my car and I drive it only a little so maybe its just me but I do notice the steering wheel sure seems stiff/locked. I would guess that's just b/c it's not starting all the way and would then act normal once the engine running.

didn't have time to mess with it this morning so trying to learn what I can to make as quick work of it tonight

any suggestions?

also, live in Humble....any reco's on quality lexus mechanic? or just take to northside lexus?
Shelton98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Check for loose battery cables.
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shelton98 said:

Check for loose battery cables.



and corrosion on terminals
AgCPA95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it in Park?
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Is it in Park?

yes....its in the garage so I was already thinking of how to get it in neutral to push it out if we need to tow it
aggiedata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you have your foot on the brake when you push the ignition button?
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My bet is bad battery.
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Is it in Park?

I drove a jdm Acura something or other internationally on vacation this summer and about half the time I would pull into a parking spot and just shut er down, then when I got back in couldn't figure out why the darn thing wouldn't start! Because it was still in drive...
aggielax48
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Unlikely since you say its both fobs but have you tried putting the fob against the push button to make sure its not just a bad fob battery?
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiedata said:

Do you have your foot on the brake when you push the ignition button?

yep...always have to do that on this car. Its same for mine
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EMY92 said:

My bet is bad battery.

I hope you're right.....the battery is only 1 year old
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggielax48 said:

Unlikely since you say its both fobs but have you tried putting the fob against the push button to make sure its not just a bad fob battery?

yes, my wife did that early on
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trip98 said:

EMY92 said:

My bet is bad battery.

I hope you're right.....the battery is only 1 year old


I've had batteries go out in less time. This heat will knock out the best out there.

Not that it CAN'T be anything else, but the vast majority of the time, starting issues are battery related. Always start with least troublesome solution and work your way forward from there.

If you don't have a portable jump starter, you need one. They can be carried in back packs now.
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was the battery
It would t even jump from my truck so I pulled it and took it to where she bought it from
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trip98 said:


It would t even jump from my truck

hmm, I've never had a battery get that bad
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's the ECM in vehicles now. If there isn't enough juice, they won't even try to start. That's why it goes from starting immediately, to nothing but dash lights in a few hours. It's not always the case, but if the battery is bad and the jump isn't strong enough, it's not going to slowly spin the starter like in the old days.
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EMY92 said:

It's the ECM in vehicles now. If there isn't enough juice, they won't even try to start. That's why it goes from starting immediately, to nothing but dash lights in a few hours. It's not always the case, but if the battery is bad and the jump isn't strong enough, it's not going to slowly spin the starter like in the old days.

I could see it being software interference, the software judging it's not adequate to even try to turn over. But I would think a poor jump connection would have to also contribute. Regardless, it's a different situation than the dozens of jumps I've done over nearly 40 years on older, simpler cars.
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Complete Idiot said:

EMY92 said:

It's the ECM in vehicles now. If there isn't enough juice, they won't even try to start. That's why it goes from starting immediately, to nothing but dash lights in a few hours. It's not always the case, but if the battery is bad and the jump isn't strong enough, it's not going to slowly spin the starter like in the old days.

I could see it being software interference, the software judging it's not adequate to even try to turn over. But I would think a poor jump connection would have to also contribute. Regardless, it's a different situation than the dozens of jumps I've done over nearly 40 years on older, simpler cars.

yeah I've jumped several as well...no problem. I even moved my connections around a few times to see.

only once did it try to turn over a teeeny tiny bit. At that point said forget it and quickly pulled the battery and off to the store we went.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.