project truck

8,634 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by tlfw378
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Broken bolt has been removed from engine block. Some complications with scheduling to get my guy to come to my house…but the deal was successful in extraction without any other issues….like catching the diesel engine on fire. So now, reassemble then rewire for the new alternator's requirement.
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have found it a little frustrating trying to locate the specifications on the 2 bolts used on the tension pulley to mount to the engine block. I don't understand why it is so hard to find specs. If I can go to Ford service and get the OEM bolts, shouldn't I be able to find the specs for them online somewhere?
Flaith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
which engine did you go with?
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the Taco I went with the 3.4L original with some upgraded parts.
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Update: After some long and hard thought decisions, I changed my mind and decided to outsource the engine installation. It really came down to expertise and me not having a shop to work in. I decided to send to @yota1performance for the installation since they are rebuilding the engine. The project blew up to a full mechanical rebuild, engine, transmission, and suspension. I flew out to California and met my daughter who was doing a work trip in the area and we both drove the Tacoma back to Texas.

There are a lot more pictures on Yota1 performance's Instagram account on the project. I'll see if I can figure out how to link here. Until then, here are a few images…











tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG







Canyon99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excellent job and I'm sure the roadtrip with your daughter was memorable!
insulator_king
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice visit to the 4 corners there.
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just had the Taco professionally detailed by JLE Customs detail shop in The Woodlands. I had the paint correction then their ceramic coating process after. I just picked up the truck today. They made the original paint look factory new.

tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

SnowboardAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think you might be living my life. I had a 2001 Tacoma, v6, 4x4, manual that I regret trading in - that one regret has caused me to hang onto other assets because I don't want to live the regret again. Been looking for another one online to pick up, but they're all either 240K miles or beat to crap. May need to go the route you did. Beautiful truck!
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah. I get that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. My uncle for instance, only buys new and trades in every 2 years. He is always in a new truck. He doesn't fix anything. No repairs, no maintenance. Makes the money needed to support those decisions. I don't make his money. Never did, never will…but I also see value in keeping things running for a long time. There is value in learning how to maintain equipment. Value in fixing your own house. The pride and satisfaction of paying yourself to do a job that you care about more than any repair man is worth more than the repair bill.

For this specific project, I was fortunate to have found a first gen Tacoma never wrecked and regularly washed, waxed and garaged to save the paint. I purchased for a fair price on the body and frame as the owner knew it needed some real work.

I was really planning on installing the engine myself but when I thought about the direction and end product I was really after, it was really best to have a specialist do the project. Yota1 Performance was truly outstanding in every way. The communication, the discussions, their expertise was some of the best I have ever had from an automotive shop. I could call Joe and ask anything. I didn't chase just a cosmetic truck, I chased a capable off-road functioning performer. Nothing surprised me more than the final bill being 20% labor and 80% parts. Good luck on finding a good used Tacoma for a reasonable price.
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
that thing is badass!
gravitartx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That thing is so sweet. Jealous of how clean it is! Makes me want to start working on my Toyota Pickup project again.

What is your suspension setup? I've been looking at the Total Chaos long travel kits for mine, just don't have the cash to drop on it right now lol
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went with Solo Motorsports stock length LCA, Solo Motorsports upper control arms, Solo Motorsports Toyota alignment cam and cam tabs upgrade kit. King shocks 2.5 performance series reservoir coil over front shock absorbers. Sankei sway bar end links. New rear leaf springs.

Rebuilt the knuckles with gussets, with Aisin locking hubs.

I asked Joe about Total Chaos's upper and lower control arms, and he is a fan for desert racing. Very stiff for daily driving pavement. I didn't build a rock climbing performer, so I wasn't going long arm anyway. I wanted a "get in the backcountry hunting truck." Total chaos makes great products. Won't go wrong with them.
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Old shifter knobs….Now the new ones….

Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.