Lexus IS 500

1,608 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by oatb
idAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have one and how do you like it?
- Last of the V8 from Toyota/Lexus???

Wife had a IS 250 a long time ago and I liked it. I mentioned we should get one of these a couple of years ago when I heard they were putting the V8 in them again and she is all for it.

I put a deposit on a white one and the dealership received it early. I'd prefer to have the Micah blue but I think those are hard to get. White color is my third choice but I don't see these coming up for sale too often and we do prefer the black interior this one has (lots of red out there). Wife want to go pick it up but I'm still not too sure of the small size for a 5-seater, even though we'll keep our family hauler.

- LC 500 a better buy if I already have a truck? Thought is to keep long term but you know how that goes sometimes!
agracer
AG
If you're going to pay $60,000+ for a vehicle, find the color you want.
oatb
AG
agracer said:

Agreed 100%.

Also to OP's question, I haven't sit in the latest IS but IS isn't really meant for a 5 seater...
idAg09
oatb said:

agracer said:

Agreed 100%.

Also to OP's question, I haven't sit in the latest IS but IS isn't really meant for a 5 seater...
The 5-seater part is just when in a bind and we need to pick up kids ( 3 small kids out of car seats) without changing cars. White is my wife's first choice but she also likes the blue. I would drive 3-4 times per week, mostly to work when the truck is not needed. Wife would drive for errands if its in the garage during the day

I guess my hang up is the price. I drove the IS 350 and it was nice enough. The IS 500 is the same vehicle with a $20k engine upgrade. I'm also trying to buy a vehicle and share with my wife - not sure if I will end up regretting that or not
agracer
AG
idAg09 said:

oatb said:

agracer said:

Agreed 100%.

I guess my hang up is the price. I drove the IS 350 and it was nice enough. The IS 500 is the same vehicle with a $20k engine upgrade. I'm also trying to buy a vehicle and share with my wife - not sure if I will end up regretting that or not
. If she has a lead foot like most moms you will

Also, save $10k and buy used.
dodger02
AG
You're buying an engine wrapped in sheet metal with a Lexus badge.

It's not a looker. But that engine sound is erection inducing.

And yes, buy used.
drumboy
AG
I like these but look at the GSF too.
FIDO*98*
AG
I wish they put that engine in the ES. An ES 500 F-Sport AWD would be awesome. The IS was just too small for me
YouBet
AG
I drove an IS350 for a decade and loved it.

I have this one on my list for next car but doubt it will still exist by the time I get around to changing cars.
idAg09
The GS looks awesome but very few and used still commands a high price. Same with used IS 500 there are only a few and some are too closely listed to msrp for being used.
Flaith
AG
My mind really wants to shop IS500 and Audi RS3, but my wallet just won't let me.
dodger02
AG
Pretty much exactly $10k less than a new one.

IS500 in Arlington
dodger02
AG
Flaith said:

My mind really wants to shop IS500 and Audi RS3, but my wallet just won't let me.
Same. Both equally rare (maybe the Audi even rarerer) and are wolves in sheep's clothing.

But I really prefer the sound of a V8 over the maintenance woes of an Audi.
Flaith
AG
Daza engine has been pretty darn reliable, and I remain titulated by the angry sound of the turbo 5
idAg09
dodger02 said:

Pretty much exactly $10k less than a new one.

IS500 in Arlington
Link doesn't work. There is an Incognito one in the Dallas area that might work for a good used price. The used one with black interior at Sterling McCall is pretty much priced at MSRP
YouBet
AG
GS hasn't been made in almost five years now. Good luck finding one of those.
dodger02
AG
Looks like the car in Arlington has been removed from their website.

Here's another one in Richardson. Just a tad bit more, but still around $10k less than new.

2022 IS500 in Richardson
HossAg
AG
If LC500 is in your price range still, then that's the obvious choice.

IS500 is gonna sound really nice, but it'll wear through tires way too quickly and handles like a granny car.
oatb
AG
idAg09 said:

oatb said:

agracer said:

Agreed 100%.

The 5-seater part is just when in a bind and we need to pick up kids ( 3 small kids out of car seats) without changing cars. White is my wife's first choice but she also likes the blue. I would drive 3-4 times per week, mostly to work when the truck is not needed. Wife would drive for errands if its in the garage during the day

If you want a V8 in a small sedan factor, would you be interested in a 2011 M3? I'm selling mine...
halfbean
AG
I had an LC500. I got anywhere from 6000 to 10000 miles on a set of front tires. They are very difficult to get aligned and even when Lexus says they are aligned, they still eat tires. The cars do sound great though.
HossAg
AG
Damn, I guess it's just a problem across the board then. My IS couldn't make it longer than 10,000 miles on the front tires with the inner wear issue. Impossible to fix without putting some stiff AF expensive LCA bushings in there.
oatb
AG
HossAg said:

Damn, I guess it's just a problem across the board then. My IS couldn't make it longer than 10,000 miles on the front tires with the inner wear issue. Impossible to fix without putting some stiff AF expensive LCA bushings in there.
Have you tried indie mechanics that knows their way around a hunter alignment rack? I had similar issue with the first gen IS when the inner tires were chewed up fast because of the aggressive toe/camper from factory. Dealer said it's 'normal' because it's a sports car, Firestone techs tried to fix it without any luck (of course)... so I took it to a good indie that re-adjust the alignment to make it a lot less aggressive, no more issue with premature tire wear after that.
HossAg
AG
oatb said:

HossAg said:

Have you tried indie mechanics that knows their way around a hunter alignment rack? I had similar issue with the first gen IS when the inner tires were chewed up fast because of the aggressive toe/camper from factory. Dealer said it's 'normal' because it's a sports car, Firestone techs tried to fix it without any luck (of course)... so I took it to a good indie that re-adjust the alignment to make it a lot less aggressive, no more issue with premature tire wear after that.

It's a pretty well documented issue online from what I saw when I owned it (3rd gen). Read a lot of forums on alignment specs that kind of helped, but it never really eliminated the issue for people without installing aggressive bushings unless you drive pretty slow.

I replaced the bushings with RCF bushings and did one of the recommended alignments and still dealt with the issue. Got tired of it and just traded it in.
agracer
AG
dodger02 said:

Looks like the car in Arlington has been removed from their website.

Here's another one in Richardson. Just a tad bit more, but still around $10k less than new.

2022 IS500 in Richardson
It's cheaper because they forgot to paint the car.
idAg09
I bought a 06 CTS-V from here a couple of years ago and that's what turned me on to sedans with a large V8 stuffed in there. I thought for sure a 6-speed Blackwing would be my next car but unfortunately my wife refuses to learn to drive stick. The IS 500 is our compromise where we will share the 'fun' car and I'll hang on to my 06 stick until insurance costs go up again. LC500 would have to have been a used 2018 to stay within reasonable price. New ones are outrageously expensive and all seem to be convertible. Every dealership has multiple available, so curious how pricing will be on those over the next couple of years.

Test drove yesterday and signed the paperwork. It was a beauty and sounded nice when woken up. The reviews about a quiet exhaust and 'boring' comfortable drive were correct but I think thats as a plus for us. Used models I kept seeing were either overpriced, red interior, or already had 2-4 owners.

Picking up Thursday! - hopefully I can figure out how to post photos here
GAC06
AG
YouBet said:

GS hasn't been made in almost five years now. Good luck finding one of those.

Got a great one to sell once I get around to getting a couple dings fixed.
oatb
AG
idAg09 said:

I bought a 06 CTS-V from here a couple of years ago and that's what turned me on to sedans with a large V8 stuffed in there. I thought for sure a 6-speed Blackwing would be my next car but unfortunately my wife refuses to learn to drive stick. The IS 500 is our compromise where we will share the 'fun' car and I'll hang on to my 06 stick until insurance costs go up again. LC500 would have to have been a used 2018 to stay within reasonable price. New ones are outrageously expensive and all seem to be convertible. Every dealership has multiple available, so curious how pricing will be on those over the next couple of years.

Test drove yesterday and signed the paperwork. It was a beauty and sounded nice when woken up. The reviews about a quiet exhaust and 'boring' comfortable drive were correct but I think thats as a plus for us. Used models I kept seeing were either overpriced, red interior, or already had 2-4 owners.

Picking up Thursday! - hopefully I can figure out how to post photos here
Congrats on the purchase! I was interested in the IS500 but decided not to get another car...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.