Question...re likely mechanic error.

1,017 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by JamesPShelley
KatyAggie2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I took my "weekender" Wrangler TJ to a local mechanic to diagnose and fix a front, passenger gear oil leak. It was obviously gear oil (smell) and pooling in the axle yoke and dripping down to my tire.

The local mechanic (recommended on TA) called and said it was the pinion seal. They replaced it. Picked up it, dove it home, and the next morning more oil in the yoke, on my tire, and on my garage floor.

I thought all along - and mentioned this a couple of times - that I thought it was the axle seal not the pinion based on where the oil was pooling. I've taken it back to them. How hard should I push for some type of discount, etc. in this situation?
Furlock Bones
AG
KatyAggie2000 said:

I took my "weekender" Wrangler TJ to a local mechanic to diagnose and fix a front, passenger gear oil leak. It was obviously gear oil (smell) and pooling in the axle yoke and dripping down to my tire.

The local mechanic (recommended on TA) called and said it was the pinion seal. They replaced it. Picked up it, dove it home, and the next morning more oil in the yoke, on my tire, and on my garage floor.

I thought all along - and mentioned this a couple of times - that I thought it was the axle seal not the pinion based on where the oil was pooling. I've taken it back to them. How hard should I push for some type of discount, etc. in this situation?
i'm confused. if it is on your yoke, it's definitely the pinion seal (which they could have easily damaged the new one during install). but, i do not understand how oil would pool on your yoke and drip down your tire.

if it was an axle seal, then it would come from the ends of the axle and drip off Cs onto your tire.

all this to say, there's a good chance both your pinion and axle seals were in need of changing. but i would take it back to shop and have them check what's going on.
CanyonAg77
AG
I assume when he says axle yoke, he is talking about the u joint at the end of the axle, not the input shaft in the middle
KatyAggie2000
AG
Sorry my bad. Yes the U Joint by my wheel behind the brakes.
Furlock Bones
AG
KatyAggie2000 said:

then yes i would take it back and ask why he changed the pinion seal when the axle seal was and still is clearly leaking.
CanyonAg77
AG
Furlock Bones said:

KatyAggie2000 said:

then yes i would take it back and ask why he changed the pinion seal when the axle seal was and still is clearly leaking.
Certainly possible the pinion was leaking, too, but sounds like someone was told to change the seal, and assumed they meant pinion.

If the pinion wasn't leaking, I'd be saying "thanks for the free pinion seal, now apply that charge to fixing what I asked for".

Personal unsolicited opinion: If one side is leaking the other side probably will be soon, I'd change them both
KatyAggie2000
AG
I did have them replace both. Owner was a little frustrated when I asked about the credit for the pinion seal but he will reluctantly do it.
WestGalvestonAggie
Might be a good idea to go ahead and replace it all. I mean all of it. Everything. The motor, the seats, the frame, anything and everything associated with the words Jeep and TJ.
"I always thought Roy Acuff was probably an *******. I’m a Hank Williams fan."

-Steve Earle
JamesPShelley
KatyAggie2000 said:

I did have them replace both. Owner was a little frustrated when I asked about the credit for the pinion seal but he will reluctantly do it.
When an "owner" is frustrated by his own ****ty work... **** him.

Go find yourself a new mechanic. Life is too short to mess around with half-wits.

Oh. Credit for the pinion seal? Nice. What... that's a few dollars? I'd tell him to go all in" Parts and Labor."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.