F350 versus GMC/Chevy 3500

836 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Earth Rider
Earth Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are looking to buy a 1 ton ranch truck. 4x4. Will haul cattle, but not far and not often.

Our primary concern is reliability. We just need a bare bones work truck. Less doodads the better.

Preferably gas. My family has owned this ranch since the 50's, and we have had a mix of gas trucks and diesel trucks. In our experience, the diesel trucks take too much babying with maintenance.

So we are going with gas. Just looking for advice on either way.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3483611

Take a look at this thread from a few days ago.

Assuming you're buying new?
EMY92
AG
38% will tell you Ford, 35% GM variety, 15% will tell you neither - get a Ram, and the balance will tell you all you really need is a Tundra or Titan - even though they're half tons.
lb3
AG
EMY92 said:

38% will tell you Ford, 35% GM variety, 15% will tell you neither - get a Ram, and the balance will tell you all you really need is a Sienna- even though they're half tons.
fify
Mas89
AG
We've had great luck for years with the Chevy 2500 work trucks with the 6.0 gas and 6 speed auto. About time to replace the 18 and 19 so will be interesting to see if the newer 6.6 gas and 10 speed auto is as reliable.

You will probably need to order a Chevy 3500 work truck as they are very hard to find. 2025 models are currently being delivered. We like the vinyl seats instead of cloth and those are harder to find.
TSW2012
AG
I can't speak to the 10 speed but since it sits behind the diesel I'm sure it's solid for the gas motor. I have put 160k on my Chevy 6.6 gas since 2020. No mechanical issues except broke one exhaust manifold bolt so had an exhaust leak for a couple days. A shop replaced the bolt and manifold for like $600. If I buy anything other than the same motor in my next truck it will be purely because I desire a diesel not because the 6.6 has failed me in any way. I have pulled 20k gooseneck and it was fine. Pull 14k bumper pull regularly.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I do not recommend the 10 speed Allison.

My 2023 Silverado 3500 has been laid up for 2 months at the dealership waiting for a valve body for the transmission under warranty with less than 61k miles on it. No ETA on a replacement part. Trying to get Chevrolet/GM to buy it back.
Earth Rider
AG
Thank you for letting me know. I hate to hear that and am sorry for you. We decided to go with the F350. We haven't had Chevy trucks since the early 2000's. We have had good luck with Fords.

They test drove a GMC, and liked it, but we ended buying a F350 yesterday. We haven't picked it up yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.