F250 Lariat vs 2500 AT4

2,919 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by GentrysMillTX10
vansprinkle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm cross shopping the two.

Wish list:
4x4
Leather with vent seats
No sunroof
Color matched bumpers and grill
Adaptive cruise
CarPlay

This puts me into a Lariat 7.3 with Sport Package, FX4, Lariat Plus package, or a GMC AT4 with 6.6 gasser.

I test drove the Ford through 1ags hookup (whom I've bought from before) on Friday and the GMC today. I have X-Plan through Ford and Supplier Pricing through GM, so both trucks come out to about the exact same price.

I really liked certain things about the GMC, but overall can't get over how uncomfortable the seats are, especially the back seats. For a 10 minute test drive the fronts were fine, but I could see them getting tiring after a couple hours. I hopped in the back and checked them out when it was parked and couldn't get over how bad the backs are. The little cubbies behind the back seats (which I could see my kids breaking the first week) just seem to make them hard, and the center seat in the back is pretty much unusable for more than 10 minutes.

I do really like the look of the AT4 though. Nice front end, good stance, cool dash layout. Since it's not a 5.3 or 6.2 I wouldn't have to worry about the lifter issues, and it's a heavy duty 10 speed, so shouldn't be glass like the 1500's old 6 speeds.

Another negative for the GMC was the sight lines over the hood. I had to raise the seat up a bit (I'm 6', not sure how my 5'6" wife would see anything) but couldn't raise the steering wheel enough to match my seating position, so it sat low by my legs.

For the Ford, I think the front seats are great, rears are okay, rear center seat sucks but not as bad as GMC, and sight line over the hood isn't as bad. It's still a big truck, so less visibility than my 1/2 ton is expected. Good thing is I could raise the seat and lift the steering wheel to match (an electronic telescoping wheel is a nice bonus over the Gm). I like how the Ford had more buttons and knobs, versus the GMC running more controls purely through the screen.

The Fords interior was probably not as nice looking, but really need them next to each other to really compare. The Ford seemed to ride pretty rough, but that's the difference between test driving on city Houston streets that are under construction versus big open highways and feeders in the suburbs.

Both seemed to have decent power, although neither as peppy as my little 3.5 ecoboost. Both shifted well (10 gears is a lot!). Overall both great trucks, I just think the comfort of the Fords seats is going to win out. It really is crazy how bad the GM seats are.

Does anyone on here have either of these trucks in a 7.3 or 6.6 gas? Can anyone give insight into your ownership experience?
smstavinoha88
AG
I was with a guy this weekend that had a 2024 Chevy 2500 high country. He kept complaining about how uncomfortable his seats were, and how he disliked everything about a ford except the seats. We both made a 10 hour drive to hunt in New Mexico. I sat in his truck and there's no way I could have made that drive, couldn't be more uncomfortable and had zero cushion. He sat in my new F-250 and couldn't believe how much more comfortable the seats were. All trucks have their downfalls, but being comfortable when I drive is definitely a high priority, especially on longer drives.
bb2003
AG
My Titan XD is pretty dang comfortable. But you can't get the vented seats without a sunroof I don't think.
vansprinkle
AG
bb2003 said:

My Titan XD is pretty dang comfortable. But you can't get the vented seats without a sunroof I don't think.

I like the Titan, and the 5/8 ton is perfect for what I need. My fear of them is that this is the last year of the truck, so future dealer and aftermarket support will be disappearing soon. I plan on keeping the truck 10-15 years, so I need something with dealer or aftermarket support.
JSKolache
AG
vansprinkle said:

bb2003 said:

I like the Titan, and the 5/8 ton is perfect for what I need. My fear of them is that this is the last year of the truck, so future dealer and aftermarket support will be disappearing soon. I plan on keeping the truck 10-15 years, so I need something with dealer or aftermarket support.
Naw. Titan is 20 yrs old. Parts will be available for generations.
AustinCountyAg
I have an AT4. I've driven from Colorado straight to TX in it without stopping (except to get gas) and I've been comfortable in the seats. I haven't had any concerns about my kids breaking the storage in the back of the seats. It is basically splitting hairs between the two trucks so get what you want.

FWIW my neighbor just got done cross shopping these two exact trucks you looked at and he ended up with the GMC. He was able to take both home for a few nights to try them out so I got to look and ride in both of them. Personally, I thought the GMC interior and finish was nicer. YMMV
Seasoned Lifeguard
Silvy
AG
I'd opt for the Ford, theft is major concern with the AT4
cevans_40
AG
I haven't been in any of the new ones, but I have never found Ford seats to be more comfortable than GM. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if things have changed but Ford used to have some of the worst seats ever, followed closely by Toyota
Aggiehunter34
S
Mind shooting me a PM with your Ford contact?
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Silvy said:

Ummm never heard of super dutys being stolen and taken to Mexico?
Buck Turgidson
Are the Denali seats any more comfortable, or are all the GM seats stiff?
TexDill15
AG
If you have money to burn the AT4X has massage seats you can turn on all the time.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Silvy said:

Lol pretty sure almost every home made armored car is see on cartelgram is a Super Duty.

PrestigeWorldwideAg12
MyNameIsJeff said:

Silvy said:

Lol pretty sure almost every home made armored car is see on cartelgram is a Super Duty.

That's what I'm saying.
Corps_Ag12
AG
The seats in my LTZ Silverado 3500 are no where near as comfortable as the seats in the rental F150 I am driving.

If the Super Duty has the same seats, I'd get the Super Duty over the GM.
mm98
AG
I got rid of my Chevy last year. One of the main reasons was the seats, Although there were other mechanical issues that contributed more

Now, if you're not worried about vanity, you could always buy $50 seat cushion and problem solved
vansprinkle
AG
mm98 said:

I got rid of my Chevy last year. One of the main reasons was the seats, Although there were other mechanical issues that contributed more

Now, if you're not worried about vanity, you could always buy $50 seat cushion and problem solved

I'm too vain. That and I hate spending $60-70k on a truck and adding a $50 seat cover to it.

I did look into Katzkins. For around $2,500, it's a good option and may cure my #1 issue with the truck.
Redstone
AG
Not familiar with these trucks
Jason_Roofer
My roof crews prefer Ford 1 tons to any other brand. Most of the others spent more time in the shop than working. That said, these are used 6 days a week towing things that are probably approaching excessive limits. Maintenance is probably not at the top of the list either.
Canyon99
AG
Redstone said:

Not familiar with these trucks

Never change!
mm98
AG
vansprinkle said:

mm98 said:

I'm too vain. That and I hate spending $60-70k on a truck and adding a $50 seat cover to it.

I did look into Katzkins. For around $2,500, it's a good option and may cure my #1 issue with the truck.

Not a seat cover, a seat cushion. And when you're sitting in the truck you can't even see it.
Silvy
AG

Silvy said:

Sure I have, but Super Duty's are still stolen relatively infrequently compared to GM, especially AT4 trucks.. If one were to watch the Houston stolen vehicle social media pages, you'd see that there are at least 10x GMs stolen for every 1x Ford.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Silvy said:

Silvy said:

Sure I have, but Super Duty's are still stolen relatively infrequently compared to GM, especially AT4 trucks.. If one were to watch the Houston stolen vehicle social media pages, you'd see that there are at least 10x GMs stolen for every 1x Ford.

Touch. Guess it depends where you are. Superdutys are stolen in San Antonio more than GMC and in North Texas it's TRXs, and Chargers/ Challengers, and Hellcat Durangos
aggieforester05
aggieforester05
AG
7.3 > 6.6

The only GMs I would ever buy again will have a V8 without AFM/DFM and a transmission supplied by Tremec.
mm98
AG
As of 2024 arent all GM 6.6 gassers coming with the upgraded Allison transmission?
vansprinkle
AG
mm98 said:

As of 2024 arent all GM 6.6 gassers coming with the upgraded Allison transmission?

Yes, technically I believe it was built with Allison, but actually is a Ford design.

https://nextgendiesel.com/blogs/transmissions-101/transmissions-101-allison-10l1000-problems-solutions-upgrades?srsltid=AfmBOopKa7nJXAauJttg5hBFhsBss60ejs94BiPO3NG6jN-PG5F6JxOI
mm98
AG
Good to know thanks
jpb1999
AG
When do the new 2025 F250s come out?

Spane Bohem

GentrysMillTX10
AG
The 6.6 complaints in the Facebook groups are about random oil consumption. Some do it, some don't. No explanation.

The 7.3 complaints are about transmission issues.

Good luck
vansprinkle
AG
GentrysMillTX10 said:

The 6.6 complaints in the Facebook groups are about random oil consumption. Some do it, some don't. No explanation.

The 7.3 complaints are about transmission issues.

Good luck

That's interesting, since they basically use the same transmission.

I should say, the current 10 speed is the same between ford and GM. Not sure what transmission you're referring to, as the first 2 years of the 7.3 ran a 6 speed.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
10 speed behind the 7.3 is what I'm referring to. I think it's Ford's tuning of the transmission that is to blame but I'm not sure why the transmission has a bad reputation behind the 7.3 ford and not the 6.6 Chevy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.