Diminished Value Claim

466 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by dirkjones
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back in May my car with least than 5K on the ODO was hit causing around 13K in damage. I had submitted a request to the at-fault party's insurance for diminished value and recently received a letter that because my vehicle was "repaired to my satisfaction" the request is denied.

In order to meet my company's car allowance policy I usually have to sell at about 2.5 years and know from previous experience that the Carfax is going to ding me on trade in. Does anyone have advice on who to hire to go after these sorry jerks at Kemper?
dodger02
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I had submitted a request to the at-fault party's insurance for diminished value and recently received a letter that because my vehicle was "repaired to my satisfaction" the request is denied.
The other party hopes you won't pursue any further if they just tell you "no". Same thing happened to me. After the vehicle was fixed, I asked State Farm about a DV claim and was told "we don't do that".

They're not obligated to pay you DV just because you want it. You have to prove your car has diminished value - in your case - after the repairs. You'll have to pay for an evaluation by an appraiser anyways. So, I would suggest calling a local vehicle appraiser (sometimes, insurance adjusters work on the side and do these off the clock) and have them pull a bunch of comps, check out your car, and write a report. I think I paid $250 for mine.

Gather all of that and then call them back and present your findings. My bet is they'll offer you something if you make a big enough issue out of it.

My 2-week old F150 was rear ended and everything behind the cab was obliterated. They had to replace everything - even the frame - behind the cab. It was about $25k in damages. I think they gave me around $3k in DV.
dirkjones
AG
Check out collision safety consultants on Facebook or google.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.