CV Joints and 4wd - Clicking Noise

527 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by MouthBQ98
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I replaced the front axles on my Kawasaki Mule PRO FXT. Brand new axles (Rhino brand if that makes any difference, which I can't imagine it does).

In 2wd, it drives just fine. You'd never know anything was replaced.

But switch into 4wd and there is suddenly an audible clicking sound. I can't tell if it's both sides or just the driver's side its coming from. Axles felt like they seated into the front diff just fine, retaining c-ring felt like it snapped in the way it is supposed to. Nothing that would give me any indication that the axles aren't installed correctly (it's not hard after all). No excessive gap that I can see between the diff and the inner CV joint housing.

I'm at a loss as to what would cause such a sound. Joints are new and presumably not defective, have correct grease, etc. Nothing got into the diff while I was installing the axles, nothing that I could see in the diff looked damaged, etc.

My kids did manage to find a way to put it in 4wd while moving, which this thing isn't designed to do. But it also won't engage in 4wd unless it's below a certain RPM as a level of protection. And prior to replacing the axles, no issue that I'm aware of with noise.

Any ideas what it might be and things I should look at or for?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Is it only in 4wd?
Is it repetitive or random.

I had a similar sound on my truck and a small rock had become lodged in the rotors
schmellba99
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Is it only in 4wd?
Is it repetitive or random.

I had a similar sound on my truck and a small rock had become lodged in the rotors
Only in 4wd
Repetitive, not random
No rocks in rotors, had to take all of that apart to replace the axles and made sure everything was clean and in good shape while I had it apart.
Furlock Bones
AG
Does it have real driveshafts? If so, check the joints at both ends. Check the output shaft of the transfer case.
MouthBQ98
AG
Put it on stands and try to get it to do it by hand turning things? Listen for it then?
schmellba99
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Does it have real driveshafts? If so, check the joints at both ends. Check the output shaft of the transfer case.
Yep, real front drive shaft anyway.

I plan on this weekend when I get back into town to try to look at it closer, just trying to figure out what to look for right now.
MouthBQ98
AG
If it has an auto locking front differential then they typically use a ratchet type mechanism do the faster moving tire can rotate faster in a turn. Maybe it is that?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.