2016 Odyssey rattling

1,130 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Macarthur
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starting having some rattling sound on the front drivers side. 98k miles.

Am I right in thinking I may need new shocks or struts or both?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Not enough info. Constant rattle, only in certain circumstances? Only when braking? Do you feel anything in the wheel or pedal?
Redstone
AG
My sister-in-law has one a few years older than 2016, but I'm not familiar with them.
Macarthur
It's not constant. Only when moving. Braking or not. I don't hear it at high speeds on the highway
maroon barchetta
Ball joint?
ceenAg05
AG
We have a 2014 and the sway bar links were going out around that mileage. Look up some videos and see how to check them. Not too difficult or expensive to replace.
vmiaptetr
AG
IYKYK

v
maroon barchetta
That whole scene was great. Made even better for my son and me since we had a 2006 Odyssey that became his daily driver when he got a license.
agracer
AG
Don't know if the more current models updated this, but the caliper alignment pins on the front brakes would wear and cause a rattle on 2nd gen models (99-05)

Whenever it was time to change the pads in my '00 Odyssey (which is about when the a rattle/noise would start), I'd replace the caliper alignment pins along with the pads and the rattle would go away.
Macarthur
ok. Would it rattle during breaking or anytime?
agracer
AG
Macarthur said:

ok. Would it rattle during breaking or anytime?

braking and over bumps on the road. Could really on hear it at low speed. At highway speeds the road noise would drown it out some.

I replaced my shocks at 100k b/c of the rattle noise and when I drove the van again, the noise was still there. I found on the Odyssey Forums that the alignment pins would wear and cause the rattle. Again, this was a Gen 2 model. Dont' know if the newer ones have the same front disk brakes. The noise was there for a while but since I drove the van 1x per week I just kept putting it off. Wife just chalked it up to "it's an old van".

But after that, I just replaced those pins every time I did the front brakes.
Macarthur
Ok. Thanks for that.
agracer
AG
go to the odyssey forums and see if they're is anything. Rock Auto has a part called a low frequency noise damper.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3587685&cc=3353777&pt=1001264&jsn=878&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq%2BEvUNdS3Txyey60IDtnjPWF5UU9J0BWQv7pvqZbh%2BYrdIIoJ2QMq9prrkIerbFMqky5nGcn4teOg9r2Sw3%2BPr1CNOXFqQFzxO1xi2naIVVDqptp38yXkE5m0eM5QCA%2By15xTcreiyKbrkDUxw8UXNjNAcl6gknhoNrShysdA96OQ9O2PdozNAJb6SG0eOH78h9%2B2PSOw6eOLA7FMIr6ZKKyFhvNUoat6yRs5%2BZ59npZngVaQV0tnWqmWa3zrkrLO8odb2PXiXNv%2B0k%2FiTrxzcRTZy%2FK1KyZXdhlaqOYDSKwY4oO5rn

my old Van did not have that.

This is the part I would replace
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3057438&cc=3353777&pt=10281&jsn=1001&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq%2BEvUNdS3Txyey60IDtnjPWF5UU9J0BWQv7pvqZbh%2BYrdIIoJ2QMq9prrkIerbFMqky5nGcn4teOg9r2Sw3%2BPr1CNOXFqQFzxO1xi2naIVVDqptp38yXkE5m0eM5QCA%2By15xTcreiyKbrkDUxw8UXNjNAcl6gknhoNrShysdA96OQ9O2PdozNAJb6SG0eOH78h9%2B2PSOw6eOLA7FMIr6ZKKyFhvNUoat6yRs5%2BZ59npZngVaQV0tnWqmWa3zrkrLO8odb2PXiXNv%2B0k%2FiTrxzcRTZy%2FK1KyZXdhlaqOYDSKwY4oO5rn
aTm2004
AG
Macarthur said:

It's not constant. Only when moving. Braking or not. I don't hear it at high speeds on the highway

It's only happening at low speeds and sounds like a rattle or hard knock, and when you speed up it goes away? My wife's 2017 Odyssey was doing the same thing (driver's side as well) and it was the shock/strut. I changed both of the fronts (not too hard to do) and it fixed it. Rides a lot better as well.

It was similar mileage as well. And riding with my wife over speed bumps, I understand why they threw in the towel. 20mph is a good speed to go over any size speed bump to her.
Macarthur
Thanks. Yeah, I dont hear it at high speeds. It might still be there but drowned out by road noise.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.