Toyota replacing 102,000 engines

5,322 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by fixer
Earth Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
toyota is replacing over 100,000 engines in the Tundra and the LX. That is an insane amount of work. Dealers are stopping taking Tundras because they don't know when the engine can be fixed. But it can't be fixed, it has to be replaced. I'm guessing this will be a billion dollar hit plus for Toyota. Sad to see it happen after they were the most reliable vehicle for decades.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a61708841/toyota-tundra-lexus-lx-engine-replacement-recall/
Stat Monitor Repairman
This is the appeal of a Toyota / Lexus vehicle assembled and shipped from Japan.

Those Tundra engines manufactured in Huntsville, Alabama where Ray-Ray was hired during covid and skipped a critical step flushing out metal shavings from machining process.
Bronco6Gen
Ray Ray categorically denies any involvement, points the finger directly at Billy Bob.

Are there any other issues with this engine that are not related to this? Wondering if I could pick up a cheaper '22-'23 Tundra, get the recall done, and be okay after that?
Bob Kelso
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

This is the appeal of a Toyota / Lexus vehicle assembled and shipped from Japan.

Those Tundra engines manufactured in Huntsville, Alabama where Ray-Ray was hired during covid and skipped a critical step flushing out metal shavings from machining process.

Exactly. So why the LX too? Thought those were from the Japan factory. Unless… bama made engines and shipped over there?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Might be the hybrid model variant that's made in Japan. Recall for gas only models looks like.
austinag1997
AG

Holee Crap Batman.
water turkey
Someone is falling on their sword for this one.....
Complete Idiot
water turkey said:

Someone is falling on their sword for this one.....
Too soon
Corps_Ag12
AG
Weren't the tundra and 5.7 being built in San Antonio previously? Has that changed?
Oruc Reis
AG
I'm affected by this, engine hasn't destroyed itself yet… any early warning signs to look out for?
mm98
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Weren't the tundra and 5.7 being built in San Antonio previously? Has that changed?

I think the quality issue at hand is the location of the engine assembly, not the point of final vehicle assembly

But I could be mistake.
GeeBee
AG

That's what Toyota says. I'm not sure I buy that. They changed the bearing material on that engine. If it is metal shavings left in there, the entire engine is trashed. Not just the short block.

Ray Ray maybe the scape goat, but now you got Joe Bob scattering to your entire engine across the dealership shop floor doing a half assed fix at the direction of Toyota.

Unfortunately the short block replacements were a temporary bandaid fix. Is Toyota still only planning on replacing the short block only? The article didn't say specifically what their plan was. Crate engine, long block, or short block.
GeeBee
AG
Double post
GeeBee
AG
Oruc Reis said:

I'm affected by this, engine hasn't destroyed itself yet… any early warning signs to look out for?

Do an oil sample and send it off.
TSJ
AG
They are now supposed to be replacing with long blocks. But ETA unknown.

I have a mid 2023 build (so I think technically mine is not covered) with 42k miles on it. No issues. Oil changed every 5k.
GeeBee
AG
TSJ said:

They are now supposed to be replacing with long blocks. But ETA unknown.

I have a mid 2023 build (so I think technically mine is not covered) with 42k miles on it. No issues. Oil changed every 5k.

Hopefully their definition of a long block includes front cover, oil pump, oil pickup, and oil pan.

How are they going to flush the turbos and oil cooler? Everything downstream from the mains would be affected. Oil filter is before the mains, so the contaminated oil makes it all through the engine before it is filtered out.
fixer

The metal shavings or debris thing is certainly part of the problem, but it isn't the whole problem.

The issue is the front main bearing is failing, exclusively. The pictures of failed #1 mains look more like an overload or a clearance issue.

It is hard to imagine how manufacturing debris would plug off the oil feed to the #1 main every time, leaving all other mains and con rod bearings un touched. Not to mention there are some engines that have failed above 40k miles.

Toyota indicated they found the operation that was the source of debris and remedied this in 2023. However there are many engines failing that were produced after this date. Further the recall indicated hybrid engines weren't affected but there are several instances of hybrid models with failed #1 main.

The lexus version of this engine did not have this issue. Internet sleuthing by other forums has shown some credible pictures of a design change in the front main cap and its integration to the crankshaft support girdle (relative to the Lexus engine).

My personal take on this is the jaw fits for the main cap are having a tolerance stack issue between the block and the girdle. Combining this with a specific range of load and temp, the cap is 'walking' or 'shifting' to the point it is closing off clearance. With enough cycles, the bearing loses material and fails rapidly.
fixer
Bronco6Gen said:

Ray Ray categorically denies any involvement, points the finger directly at Billy Bob.

Are there any other issues with this engine that are not related to this? Wondering if I could pick up a cheaper '22-'23 Tundra, get the recall done, and be okay after that?
In my area, these Tundras are stacked like cordwood on the used lot. I'm betting you could work a massive discount.
fixer
Oruc Reis said:

You might be able to get a trend of wear metal concentration in oil with some analysis.

A jump more than 15-20%, sample to sample, would get my attention.
Aggie Dad 26
This poor board. Once litered with Ford fan boys... then Toyota

WOULD SOMEOME PLEASE CONSIDER THE CHILDREN?!
EMY92
AG
fixer said:

Bronco6Gen said:

In my area, these Tundras are stacked like cordwood on the used lot. I'm betting you could work a massive discount.
Can't be sold until the recall work is done, at least that's the case for Toyota dealers.
Stat Monitor Repairman
You probably right. If you Toyota do you blame this on design engineering / materials or human error.

Y'all right. Ray-ray might well be the scapegoat on all this. Someone screwed up.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG

Might be the hybrid model variant that's made in Japan. Recall for gas only models looks like.

There's a hybrid LX600?
DBill
AG
Looks like I'm on this list also. Welp, I've been looking for an excuse to get into a 3/4 ton…….
sts7049
AG
Earth Rider said:

toyota is replacing over 100,000 engines in the Tundra and the LX. That is an insane amount of work. Dealers are stopping taking Tundras because they don't know when the engine can be fixed. But it can't be fixed, it has to be replaced. I'm guessing this will be a billion dollar hit plus for Toyota. Sad to see it happen after they were the most reliable vehicle for decades.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a61708841/toyota-tundra-lexus-lx-engine-replacement-recall/

its a black eye, but they still reign supreme in reliability
Earth Rider
AG
sts7049 said:

Earth Rider said:

They got my respect agreeing to replace the full engine. Toyota may be the only manufacturer that would do that.
El_duderino
I did out of necessity, but it's nice to be able to throw a yard of rocks/dirt/etc in the bed and not worry about massive overload
Ag for Life
AG
Earth Rider said:

sts7049 said:

Earth Rider said:

They got my respect agreeing to replace the full engine. Toyota may be the only manufacturer that would do that.

Do they really have a choice? The bad press in our social media era would crush them if they didn't. They'll be replacing a bunch of 2024 Tundra engines once the 2025s are out and they can recall the 2024s after selling most of them.
Street Fighter
AG
sts7049 said:

Earth Rider said:

Only stuff they used to make brother. They are getting battered by recalls at levels not seen before for them. The new Tacoma is a poorly assembled heap of crap too.
Furlock Bones
AG
this. they should have slapped a battery on the back of the V8 tundra and called it good.

EMY92
AG
Earth Rider said:

sts7049 said:

Earth Rider said:

It's probably cheaper to replace the whole engine than just the block and associated parts and pieces. Less labor for the full replace.
lb3
AG
Earth Rider said:

sts7049 said:

Earth Rider said:

GM would just offer lifetime oil filter replacements.
agracer
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

There's a hybrid LX600?
Sequoia is hybrid.V6 Turbo
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
And now Tacoma owners are reporting massive transmission failures.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/2024-toyota-tacoma-owners-keep-reporting-transmission-failures?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflow&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2eOyuwKYOCPNRuVg-l_TCTvtH6A__ZwKwMlsjFEqmQ-K-ATNVytxCpeEY_aem_Cys7O91OJZCIrGGf0eYzXw
Stat Monitor Repairman
Squeezing more mileage out of gearing might've hit a wall. Seems like these things got too many points of failure.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.