2014 F150 Blend Door Actuator

806 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by EMY92
flipper94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AC blowing straight hot air. Shop said everything was good but the blend door actuator was stuck on hot. Recommended replacing all three actuators since they are fairly inexpensive but said it would take 7 labor hours and quoted $1300.00.

Sounds silly to me. Any advice. Gonna do some research on the google but knew we had some experts on here. Is it just pulling out the dash that takes so much time. Something a somewhat handy guy like myself and son could accomplish?
TexAg1987
Dual Climate control or single?
flipper94
AG
It is single. Watching some you tube and it looks kinda like a pain in the ass
TexAg1987
That's what I am seeing also.

Good luck.

That being said, if you can find a good video with enough detail that looks like it will work, I am sure you and your son could tackle it.

Having a video reference has made it where I have tackled a bunch of jobs that I may have shied away from before.

flipper94
AG
Looks like just the one needed for our problem is behind the radio. We have taken all that off several times putting in aftermarket stuff. Definitely not a seven hour job. more like thirty minutes to take it all apart. Don't even know where the other ones are. Maybe they are the problem.
TexAg1987
I was assuming it was this one at the bottom of the dash.

Maybe that is the dual climate control actuator. ???

I just replaced one on my 2004 Excursion and it was surprisingly accessible and just clipped in. No screws. I was amazed.

flipper94
AG
Well ****, he just verified exactly what my shop told me. I generally trust this shop but that sounded crazy. I guess they weren't lying.
TexAg1987
Still, if you have the ability and the time, it will save alot of money.

Just take your time, document where everything goes.

Ag97
AG
Had my sons 2012 done a few months ago and it was around $450 if I remember correctly. I believe it was just one of the blend doors but that price still seems pretty high.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
I'll offer some redneck/hillbilly/shadetree stuff here. Feel free to ignore it.

As a TEMPORARY solution in hot, hot weather, you can detach the two (2) heater hoses from the heater core and pipe them together with two elbows, a short piece of hose, and some hose clamps.

Your vehicle will cool.

I haven't looked at your specific vehicle, but on our Panther platform Fords even though the dealer says the dash has to come off we found you could remove the air bag and air ducting and do the job ourselves. Perhaps there's a shortcut on your vehicle, too.

If you try the temporary solution don't do like a guy I know did -- I told him he had to tie the two hoses together -- instead he just clamped them closed -- bad, bad engine damage, as I think he overheated the intake manifold from lack of coolant flow.
flipper94
AG
Appreciate the responses. With the crappy weather we are having for the next several days, and my own lack of time and interest in doing it, I bit the bullet. Should be done today. Nothing like a couple 20 dollar parts that requires this type of investment to replace. Oh well, should be good to go for awhile after this. Thanks all!
EMY92
AG
I had this done at the dealer more than 10 years ago on my 2006. It was $300. I checked indy shops but no one wanted to mess with it.

I did not feel bad about $300 in July of that year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.