New Tahoe - Question about extended warranty consideration?

1,403 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Yesterday
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Recently bought a new 2024 Tahoe. The dealership tried to sell me an extended warranty for $4500 - which I promptly declined.

Now - I did some additional research and was able to find a dealership in Michigan willing to sell a GM platinum extended warranty of bumper to bumper for the following years/miles....

96 months or 80K miles w/$250 deductible = $1,690

84 months or 100K miles w/$250 deductible for $1,911

84 months or 84K miles w/$250 deductible for $1,763

When netting out the existing 36 months/36K mile bumper to bumper - it comes out to about $440 - $477 for the 7-years, which doesn't really make sense.

But the 96 months or 80K miles at $338/year for 5 years or $28 a month does peak my interest.

The reason I ask is because the car is pretty much entirely electronic. So I can imagine something going out - but at 80K miles assumes I drive ~10,000 miles a year - still seems a bit realistic.

But it really boils down to rolling the dice thinking I will have $1,690 worth of repairs over 5 years. I just spent $1400 to get my old '17 Silverado truck engine fixed in May.

So I'm back at 50/50 whether to purchase or not. Seeing if I am missing something because otherwise - could put the $1690 into a S&P500 index fund for 8 years assuming 9% return and have $3462 at the end.

Any thoughts?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Also factor in how much the factory warranty covers. That should change your totals a bit.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

Recently bought a new 2024 Tahoe. The dealership tried to sell me an extended warranty for $4500 - which I promptly declined.

Now - I did some additional research and was able to find a dealership in Michigan willing to sell a GM platinum extended warranty of bumper to bumper for the following years/miles....

When netting out the existing 36 months/36K mile bumper to bumper - it comes out to about $440 - $477 for the 7-years, which doesn't really make sense.

But the 96 months or 80K miles at $338/year for 5 years or $28 a month does peak my interest.

The reason I ask is because the car is pretty much entirely electronic. So I can imagine something going out - but at 80K miles assumes I drive ~10,000 miles a year - still seems a bit realistic.

But it really boils down to rolling the dice thinking I will have $1,690 worth of repairs over 5 years. I just spent $1400 to get my old '17 Silverado truck engine fixed in May.

So I'm back at 50/50 whether to purchase or not. Seeing if I am missing something because otherwise - could put the $1690 into a S&P500 index fund for 8 years assuming 9% return and have $3462 at the end.

Any thoughts?

One folding mirror. One air suspension motor or boot. List of endless "one xxx" on these new rides and you're out 3-5k.
IslandAg76
AG
Flood Ford sells warranties that my local dealer wouldn't, couldn't match. I assume GM has some similar dealers who sell a lot with a smaller profit.

I too am concerned about a couple sensors or screens going out.
sts7049
AG
with the cost of parts the way things are, and GM's not so stellar reliability, it seems like a pretty good gamble to spend that money.

but, if you took that cost and add 100 bucks a month into that investment, you probably build up quite a repair fund.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

Any thoughts?

One folding mirror. One air suspension motor or boot. List of endless "one xxx" on these new rides and you're out 3-5k.

That is the entirety of my concern.

One of those things goes out, you have to take apart half the vehicle to spend 5 minutes replacing and fixing the issue and then put it all back together. So you also pay out the wazoo for labor.
dubi
AG
Buy the warranty!
aggiepaintrain
AG
BUY THE WARRANTY
is there a 96/100k?

Curious what you fixed on an engine that only cost $1700, sounds like a sensor.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

BUY THE WARRANTY
is there a 96/100k?

Curious what you fixed on an engine that only cost $1700, sounds like a sensor.

Sadly no 96/100K

It was the number 1 cylinder misfiring, so we had to require it and switch it with the 3rd cylinder to stop the misfiring. And then it was discovered to be a AFM issue - so I had to get an engine control module to plug into the OCP port to force the engine to run in v8 all the time.

The mechanic suspected it was going to be lifter issues as well so I did not want to go down that route either with throwing good money after bad.
Dr. Nefario
Does the engine have lifters? If the engine has lifters, you need the extended warranty.
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
kyledr04
AG
My understanding is that you can buy the GM authorized plan yourself

https://www.knappvehicleservicecontracts.com/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhvi0BhA4EiwAX25uj-BqwitUchLIGtnNgQqguv_Uuz0SOWy8bycLd4JdyqlroagAoieTdhoCyncQAvD_BwE

I also think you can wait until the factory warning is close to running out
kyledr04
AG
I used to be against buying the warranty but the cars are so complex now and we like to keep our cars a while so I've gotten it on the last couple. I don't think I needed before it ran out on my truck but I came out way ahead on our Acadia.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
kyledr04 said:

My understanding is that you can buy the GM authorized plan yourself

https://www.knappvehicleservicecontracts.com/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhvi0BhA4EiwAX25uj-BqwitUchLIGtnNgQqguv_Uuz0SOWy8bycLd4JdyqlroagAoieTdhoCyncQAvD_BwE

I also think you can wait until the factory warning is close to running out
So I actually compared prices and the 96 months or 100K miles was $2780 vs $2064 with the guy I was working with. So about $700 cheaper.

If anyone is interested with a new GM vehicle and it's under 500 miles, you can look at it here with Todd Sutherland at Todds@thompsonauto.net
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I've never purchased an extended warranty but after having both my truck and wife's expedition in the shop under bumper to bumper, I'm about to pick up a warranty on both of them. Neither were major repairs but still $1,500-1,800 each
Gig-Em2003
AG
Do this. Buy it right before your car gets to 24,000 miles, the prices go up materially at that point. Have bought two from Knapp, easy to use and works across the US.
Yesterday
AG
I purchased the warranty on the last three cars we had and didn't use it once. Elected not to buy it on my wife's new Denali and I'm convinced the whole thing will fall apart after the manufacturer warranty.

Here's the thing. They wouldn't offer these warranties if they lost money doing it. Odds are in your favor but your risk tolerance is ultimately your decision.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.